Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple unveils new laptop - the thinnest yet

Default Apple unveils new laptop - the thinnest yet

Apple has unveiled a new laptop - described as the thinnest yet created.

The MacBook Air weighs 3lb and is 0.76in, wide narrowing to 0.16in at its slimmest point.
    It goes on sale in a fortnight priced at 1,199 in the UK compared to $1,799 (899.50) in America.
    The new Apple laptop was unveiled by the technology giant's Chief Executive Steve Jobs during a live presentation.
    Jobs said the MacBook Air's ultra-slim design was partly made possible by its lack of a CD or DVD drive. Scroll down for more...
    The new Apple laptop was unveiled by the technology giant's Chief Executive Steve Jobs

The CD drive's functions such as playing films, backing up information and installing software will all be carried out wirelessly by the laptop or other Apple devices.
    Jobs said: "To fit an entire Mac on this thing was an amazing feat of engineering and we didn't compromise on performance."
    Other features of the MacBook Air include a 13.3in back-lit screen, a full size back-lit keyboard and a tracking pad which allows users to manipulate images in a similar way to the iPhone's screen.
    The new laptop comes with a standard 80GB hard drive and has 2GB of memory.
    Its eco-friendly aspects include a fully recyclable aluminium case, a mercury-free display and less external packaging than its predecessors. Scroll down for more...
    The MacBook Air's ultra-slim design was partly made possible by its lack of a CD or DVD drive

Always a showman, Jobs unwound the string on a standard-sized manila office envelope and slid out the ultra-thin MacBook Air notebook computer to coos and peals of laughter from disbelieving fans at the news conference in San Francisco.
    Jobs also announced Apple Inc will start renting movies over the Internet, moving iPhones and iPods into a very competitive market.
    Apple will have more than 1,000 movies for online rental through iTunes by the end of February, with prices of $2.99 (1.52) for older movies and $3.99 (2.03) for new releases. Users can watch instantly over a broadband Internet connection, or download and keep the movie for 30 days while having 24 hours to finish the movie once it's started.
    Apple is partnering with 20th Century Fox, Warner Brothers, Walt Disney, Paramount, Universal and Sony on the service, which will work on Macs, Windows-based machines, iPhones, iPods or Apple TV set-top boxes.
    Many of the revelations in Jobs' keynote address reflect the company's intensifying efforts to push deeper into consumers' living rooms with technologies that blend traditional Internet technologies with home entertainment devices.
    Jobs also unveiled a string of new features for the iPhone, showing how users of the combination iPod-cell phone-Internet surfing device can now pinpoint their location on Web maps, text-message multiple people at once and customize their home screens.
    Jobs also said Apple has sold 4 million iPhones during their first 200 days on sale. The crowd applauded when Jobs demonstrated mapping upgrades to the iPhone.

Apple unveils new laptop - the thinnest yet | the Daily Mail

he scares me.

SVZ

it's really useless

I am bummed this computer has so many downfalls. The battery is not user-replaceable. The disk drive costs an extra 100 dollars US. The system is not as powerful as many of its cheaper counterparts.

I may buy a regular MacBook because I think it will basically do all the same things and it's significantly cheaper.

I think I have discovered a conspiracy. Apple is paying the world media and I will find proof for that. Tell me about one brand that gets advertised on the news like this. In every country, too! Tell me about one single electronic gadget that has had as much publicity as the Iphone, the Ipod, The Imac and now this thing. It's not like it will change the world. Newspapers, television, they all go crazy over the Apple products. I think I'm onto something here.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

^^^
    it's cause they're so pretty
    just like celebs. real talent doesn't matter as much as good looks.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think it's pretty cool.

It has a similar touch pad that the iphone has and it have remote drive capability to cover all your disk related needs so for work/travel I think it's perfect.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Uhhh.. sorry, I dont have a spare$1,800 coming out of my ass, Steve.

I'm an Apple freak. If I had the money, I'd buy every darn thing they come out with.

Apple's thinnest Laptop...

...or biggest compact?
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

its stupid; why do you need a thin as fuck laptop?!!! whats the fucking point, unless you're a Jason Bourne!

Ok, ok, ok, enough of the smallest, thinnest products. It's getting annoying.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ i know right?! and why is the key board all the way in the back; i think it'd be better if it was up front

Love it, love it, love it. I am a total Apple freak. Unfortunately I will not have an extra penny to my name until 2011. Imagine what apple will have then!

Gold Member

they're probably going to keep on becoming thinner and tinier too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information