Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended warranties: yes or no?

Default Extended warranties: yes or no?

Extended Warranties: Yes or No? : Dory Devlin : Yahoo! Tech

So you're shopping last minute and decide to be extra generous and buy the big-screen HDTV, or maybe the DSLR camera I've wanted for a long time...oops, sorry. That's not meant for you.

In the excitement of the moment, the store clerk begins to rattle off the extended warranty options he recommends for purchases like yours. Of course he does; that's how the store makes money on electronics that keep falling in price. Should you bite?

The short answer: no. Consumer advocates have long said most warranties are not worth the peace of mind they supposedly bring. You're buying an insurance policy to cover repair costs should the item break after the manufacturer's warranty ends. But Consumer Reports and PC World say tests of hundreds of products indicate more are reliable and fairly durable every year. And if they should need repair, the cost is often on par with what you've paid for the warranty, according to Consumer Reports.

You're better off spending the time researching which brands and models have performed best in consumer tests than spending extra dollars in a gamble that the one you choose will have problems.
    When plasma and LCD HDTVs were new and the prices were sky high, Consumer Reports recommended opting for extended warranties because the technology was untested and the TVs cost so much. But the prices have dropped, and Consumer Reports' latest reader survey finds that in the last three years, HDTV owners report few problems with their TV sets.

So CR now recommends saying no to TV warranties. (The magazine makes one exception, advising consideration of extended warranties on rear-projection TVs, which are three times more likely to need repairs than other TVs.)

Meanwhile, J.D. Power & Associates' 2007 Major Home Appliance Survey of white goods such as dishwashers, ovens, and washers/dryers finds most so reliable that no warranties are recommended on those purchases either. In the first two years of ownership, one-tenth of owners report problems with their appliances. And most of those problems can be fixed by reading the manual or seeking help on the web.

This holiday season, your best bet may be to do what CR Senior Editor Tod Marks recommends: Put the money you would have spent on an added warranty in the bank so that you'll have it in case you need to repair your latest electronics purchase.

i bought it for my television. i'm glad, because it broke a year later, and it wasnt covered under regular manufacturers warranty. When i buy one i make a copy and put it away, but i tape it underneath the tv in case i cant find the other one.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

A*O

These are mostly a ripoff by the retailer trying to screw some extra $$$ out of you and the sales assistants make extra commission on them so they push hard to sell you one. I've never bothered. If something breaks down after the usual manufacturer's warranty then I either get it fixed, or if it's going to cost more to fix than the item is worth, I get a new one. Al Gore wouldn't be impressed.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Pfft. If i buy a 3 K computer you bet your sweet bippy i'm getting extended insurance on it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Depends on the item. My new computer, we did the extended warranty.

My husband bought the extended warranty for his tv. When it messed up 2 years later they sent a service man to the house to fix it, when he couldn't, they actually had a nice, new, bigger tv delivered to the house. I will ALWAYS buy the warranty for electronics after that.

Get the battery warantee at Radioshack/Circuit city, when your battaries die, they let you grab new ones for free...for a couple of YEARS.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

We bought a new tv over the weekend and bought the extended warranty, too. If it had been a regular tv, we wouldn't have bought the warranty. Since it is one of the newer, flat screen lcds, we felt the extra $60 bucks might be a good thing since, to us, they haven't stood the test of time yet.

Apple products, always! Home appliances, no. Bit of a rip IMO.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Apple has GREAT service.. friend of mine had his 2 year old laptop die (had the 3 year warranty) and they immediately replaced it with the newer, faster, larger capacity model without so much as a blink.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

Clarification: Some high-value items need extra cover. But not a hairdryer.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Yeah, my laptop is an Apple. Since I'm not familiar with their products (yet) it seemed wise to buy the warranty. I heard they are great, plus you can just walk it into a Mac Store and not have to ship it everywhere.

I bought the warrantyfor my iphone it was like $60 for 3 years and it covered the battery so it seemed worth it.

Typically we never buy them, I did on one computer and I needed the motherboard and heat sink(?) replaced but I still wouldn't bother again.

Everything has become so disposable and in some case cheep that if it breaks after the first year the growing mentality is eh, replace it.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Gold Member

Oh we've used the warranty on the Dell laptops several times and they've paid for themselves and then some. I wish we'd done a warranty on the stupid tv we bought about a year ago. It's a Sanyo, 32 inch and has a known problem where the pictures loses color, goes red, blurred or stripey. They say take it back to where it was purchased. My husband can barely life the damn thing! My brother had to buy a new PS2 because his broke, we put the warranty on the second one since the first one broke from dust. My mother's house is an old farmhouse, dust is what holds it together! We've gotten to the point that we compare the cost of replacing the item with the cost of the warranty on every single electronic item we buy. I have a 4 year warranty on this laptop and I'm not sure that the laptop itself is going to hold out for another year and a half, at least my fingers are crossed on that. Hubby's old one lasted for about 3.5 years. Is it wrong to wish it dead? I mean really, I've worn holes into the keys.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Quote Originally Posted by mklady View Post
    Oh we've used the warranty on the Dell laptops several times and they've paid for themselves and then some.
    My Dell laptop has arrived and is now charging. I guess I should buy the warranty, according to your experience above?

One thing I worry about is my clumsiness: what kind of warranty covers my butterfingers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information