Thread: Confused about my camera's battery/power

Default Confused about my camera's battery/power

OK, I own a Vivitar DVR 550 camera, which takes video, still pictures, etc. I bought it about 6 months ago, but had not really used it, other than to play around and test it. Earlier this week, I took it to our town's Veteran's Day Parade and took a couple a snippets of video of a cousin who participated. I noticed the battery power was low, and when I tried to play back the video, the screen read "low battery power" and then went black. I assumed I needed to re-charge the battery, so I took the charger, plugged it into the camera, and then into an outlet. Nothing on the camera indicated that it was indeed charging (no red light, screen saying "charging battery"), so I plugged it into another outlet I knew for certain was good. Still nothing. I went ahead and left it plugged in for a couple of hours, but of course, nothing happened, no power. So, I call the Vivitar company yesterday, and after being on hold for about 20 minutes, finally talk to someone, explain all of the above, and am then told "The camera has an internal battery, so if it's not working, you need to send in the whole camera for us to fix; it will be about $150." I explain to him that I had to actually put in the battery before using it, so he then hems and haws and says "Oh, then it must be the internal circuitry, or maybe the charger...did you try different outlets?" I say yes, I told you I had plugged it into different outlets. He then says again, that it must be the internal circuitry or the charger; if I have my receipt, I can send the camera, and they'll send a replacement, because it would cost about the same to fix, so they would rather replace it. If not, I need to pay.
    Now, after all this transpires, I decide to try to download the video onto my computer; I plugged the cord to the usb port on the camera, and then onto my computer, and lo and behold, a light on the camera turns on, and the video and pics are copied onto my computer. So, my question is: if it's upposedly the "internal circuitry" that is dead, does it make any sense that a light would turn on, and it would allow me to download the video onto my computer if there is no power source at all? I'm thinking maybe it's the battery or the charger that is defective, but the customer service person (who sounded like he didn't really know jack shit about the problem) insisted it was the internal circuitry, and I would have to send it in to be repaired or replaced. (Sorry this was such a long, rambling post!)

go buy the same camera, put the 'broken' one in the box, take out the new one and keep that one. then return the 'old' camera in the new box to the store for full refund.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Red face

Umm, I bought the broken one from HSN, an they only let you return things within 30 days...I did e-mail them, though, to see if I could get a copy of the invoice. I'm wondering if it isn't just the charger that is defective; I've been searching online for a replacement one to give it a try.

It has a rechargeable battery that's removable, right? Have you tried replacing the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    Umm, I bought the broken one from HSN, an they only let you return things within 30 days...I did e-mail them, though, to see if I could get a copy of the invoice. I'm wondering if it isn't just the charger that is defective; I've been searching online for a replacement one to give it a try.
    is the camera sold in stores? i'm evil, but if the company sucks, then you need to pull one over on them.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by zebracakes View Post
    It has a rechargeable battery that's removable, right? Have you tried replacing the battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    is the camera sold in stores? i'm evil, but if the company sucks, then you need to pull one over on them.

I don't know if the camera is sold in stores; when I purchased it, HSN claimed they were offering it as an "exclusive" months before it was available on the market. They did send me a copy of the invoice of when I purchased it, though, which was in June.

Zebracakes, I did happen to notice that my husband's cellphone charger was very similar to my camera battery charger. I tried plugging that one in, and sure enough, the red light indicating the camera battery was being charged turned on, so now I'm positive it is the charger that is defective, and not the whole unit like the stupid customer service rep tried to say.

Yay! Glad you were able to figure it out. Too bad the support guy was so useless.

Thread Information