Thread: Damn Samsung Camcorder Is F'd Up!

Angry Damn Samsung Camcorder Is F'd Up!

My husband and I bought a Samsung camcorder from Costco about a year ago for around $400. I don't have the receipt and I am past the year warranty and it's useless! Costco use to take back broken electronics but starting January 2007 they say you have to return electronics within 90 days.

We used it ONE time for vacation last year and we put it back in the case and kept it in the closet. We are having a baby any day now and wanted to use the camecorder so we took it out and it's not working right!

When we try to record it has a blank LCD screen and a blank viewfinder. The LCD screen itself works: all the icons are on the LCD screen still and I can put in my old tape and watch it on the LCD screen. It records audio but records a blank video. Once every 10 tries it will actual show and record video and audio through the LCD screen and viewfinder.

When I couldn't find answers in the owner's manual, I looked it up on the internet and there are TONS of people with the exact same issue. Apparently this model camcorder has an issue with the "CCD" and Samsung is aware of the problem but charges $150 flat rate to fix it.

One person on the internet said to call Samsung and say that I am aware of the CCD failure and to tell them I expect it to be fixed for free.

What do you think? We have to go buy a new camcorder to at least use when the baby is born. I don't want to pay $150 to fix a $400 camcorder I used once, plus how do I know it won't happen again?!

I am so pissed. I thought Samsung was supposed to be a good brand for electronics.

What would you do?

It still has all the stickers on it and it's freaking new!
    Last edited by DeadDwarf; August 18th, 2007 at 03:51 AM.

150$ on 400$ doesn't sound right,
    Get a new one i would say !!

This babe is too important an event. Cut your losses & get a new one, but check out Consumer Reports first this time! I am sorry!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Well, good news! I called Costco and gave them the whole sob story and they said they will make an exception and take the camcorder back! YAY! So I get the amount I paid in store credit which I will use on Costco shopping over time, and me and my husband are going to buy a new camcorder today in case the baby gets here sooner than expected.

I am so happy! So now you all know that Costco's return policy can be bent. I'm so glad I called and talked to them instead of keeping a $400 broken camcorder I can't use.

Oh and after reading a bunch of reviews, I have decided to go with a Sony camcorder now. Hopefully I have better luck!

Good to hear that !!

Thread Information