Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop purchase suggestions please

Default Laptop purchase suggestions please

I had a scare this weekend with my computer, and while I've been thinking about buying a laptop for a while, I've decided I need to do so sooner rather than later. My old laptop is an IBM and my desktop is a Dell. I have really had no problems with either but the IBM laptop doesn't have enough power and is old...and the desktop is 4 yrs old with XP.

I'll be going wireless this month with the installation of FIOS (Verizon fiber optics for internet, phone & TV) so I want to get the laptop first so it can all be configured at the same time. I use my computer LOTS for business but never have the need for PowerPoint or the like..mainly just spreadsheet applications and Word.

Would really appreciate any suggestions for brand/version/etc. Obviously, price would be a consideration but not the only consideration.
    Playful~

SVZ

Dell, Mac and Sony are all good brands. Obviously people are going to have their own personal stories to tell, but their reputation is quite good.

I have a Samsung and have been using it for about 2 years now and it still suits my needs.

I just bought a Dell laptop off of Ebay and it's great.

Hit By Ban Bus!

When I bought a Verizon phone a few months ago, I saw the laptop they are currently pushing. It's connected to satellite at all times. Very attractive feature, though I'm sure it's very expensive for the 2/47 internet connection and usage.

Right now I have an Acer, and I like it. I'm also thinking about getting another one in a year or so. They only sell Vista now. I've been told that's not necessarily a good idea at the moment.

SVZ

I've been using Vista for 2-3 months now and no major issues.

I've always wanted to use a MAC but have been told the conversion for spreadsheets is really a killer sometimes so I don't think it would be wise for me to make that switch.

If you don't think I'm being too nosey, and assuming you don't have the Rolls Royce of the laptops, what price range do you think is reasonable for my needs? I purchased the Office Suite for my desktop ($250 US) which I assume I will be able to download onto the new laptop without having to purchase another...but who knows.

And thanks for the quick reply!
    Playful~

Hit By Ban Bus!

The computer professor at my school says that migration issues from Windows to Mac are major, very time-consuming to switch. But it can be done. Just make sure you have the time and money to do it. (I'd have it done professionally.)

As for Vista, I'm glad that's working for you SVZ. It's good to have feedback. I understand that it's very different from Windows XP and there's a learning curve. Don't forget, not everyone is young and fast

Edit: as for Office Suite, it depends on the license your originally purchased. You may be able to install it on a different machine.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    I just bought a Dell laptop off of Ebay and it's great.
    I never thought about EBay...but I think I would be concerned about warranties.
    Playful~

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    I've been using Vista for 2-3 months now and no major issues.
    I recall our IT guy saying it would be crazy not to get VISTA if you're purchasing a new computer because XP will eventually be phased out like Windows 98...and why would you want to buy a new computer without the most current Windows version. But like many others, the 'bugs' are concerning to me as well.

It's good to hear some have had no problems.
    Playful~

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    The computer professor at my school says that migration issues from Windows to Mac are major, very time-consuming to switch. But it can be done. Just make sure you have the time and money to do it. (I'd have it done professionally.)

As for Vista, I'm glad that's working for you SVZ. It's good to have feedback. I understand that it's very different from Windows XP and there's a learning curve. Don't forget, not everyone is young and fast

Edit: as for Office Suite, it depends on the license your originally purchased. You may be able to install it on a different machine.
    Honestly, it's not that much of a big change, if anything the interfaces are a lot simpler.

People (in general) are whining about the copyright control, and stuff like that. But I haven't experienced ANY of that before, and the same stuff was being said about XP before it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayfulKisses View Post
    I've always wanted to use a MAC but have been told the conversion for spreadsheets is really a killer sometimes so I don't think it would be wise for me to make that switch.

If you don't think I'm being too nosey, and assuming you don't have the Rolls Royce of the laptops, what price range do you think is reasonable for my needs? I purchased the Office Suite for my desktop ($250 US) which I assume I will be able to download onto the new laptop without having to purchase another...but who knows.

And thanks for the quick reply!
    My laptop cost around $2300, which is really expensive. Luckily it was a gift. If I were to buy one for myself it'd probably be in the 1200-1500 range.

My laptop cost around $2300, which is really expensive. Luckily it was a gift. If I were to buy one for myself it'd probably be in the 1200-1500 range.
    I need someone to 'gift me'....LOL

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I'll be doing a lot of googling with your suggestions and hopefully won't procrastinate (which I'm famous for) until the night before Verizon arrives! I do need to check on that Office Suite license though. The store pre-loaded it for me but was given the disks in the event of a crash.
    Playful~

Hit By Ban Bus!

It's nice to have other feedback... kinda of makes me wonder about my professor's viewpoint. He was saying it's just not necessary to trade up right now, that XP can be used for the next couple years... but they're stopping support on it at the end of this year. That makes me nervous. We're being driven and I for one don't like being intimidated by a former monopoly. But you can't stop progress.

SVZ

You can definitely still use, people still use Windows 98.

98, XP and Vista are all solid user-end operating systems. Windows ME was a total failure.

I just like Vista because it's pretty and the pre-loading is really useful. Adobe Photoshop loads in about half the time than it used to which really allows me to be more creative, because I can see an image get an idea, and in about 2-3 seconds start working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    It's nice to have other feedback... kinda of makes me wonder about my professor's viewpoint. He was saying it's just not necessary to trade up right now, that XP can be used for the next couple years... but they're stopping support on it at the end of this year. That makes me nervous. We're being driven and I for one don't like being intimidated by a former monopoly. But you can't stop progress.
    I would tend to agree with your Professor's comment if you didn't have problems with your current PC. However, since I'm there it seems wise to go ahead and get it instead of buying something that is already considered outdated.
    Playful~

Adobe Photoshop loads in about half the time than it used to which really allows me to be more creative, because I can see an image get an idea, and in about 2-3 seconds start working on it.
    Some of us weren't lucky enough to be born with that creativity gene...we're just work horses
    Playful~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information