Thread: Mac User trying to install a WD Passport Portable Hard Drive USB 2.0

Default Mac User trying to install a WD Passport Portable Hard Drive USB 2.0

Ok, I checked it was mac compatable & it's got the little symbol on there.
    The instructions for Mac (oh it was OS10.1.5 or higher & I'm on 10.4.9) are
    (Answer)
    1. Turn on your computer system and allow it to boot to the desktop.
    2. Connect the power cord and USB or FireWire cable to the external hard drive.
    3. Connect the USB or FireWire cable to an available port on the computer system. The external hard drive will turn on automatically.
    4. The hard drive will be detected and installed automatically. A drive icon will be mounted to the desktop and the drive will be ready for use.
    No it isn't & I can't find out what to do if it isn't...... There is no icon appearing anywhere!
    The light is on (so there is power to it), I can hear the drive spinning, so it's working, but is it appearing on my desktop or anywhere else? NO!!! and I'm getting very frustrated now because I've been at this for at least 2 hours!!!

Please help me! I've called the phone support & they're close til monday (by which time it'll have gone back to the shop!!!!)
    Free Charmed.

Well I took this thing back to where I bought it on Saturday morning, & it worked in another MAC, so the guy recommended that I re-install my OS.... I've spent all today saving my files (as that was why I'd bought the damned dics in the first place...) I've re-installed the OS and.... it still doesn't work!
    Free Charmed.

i had this same problem with a driver in the past on my ancient G4. If memory serves, you can do a search for the driver and locate it through there and drag an icon/alias onto the desktop.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post
    i had this same problem with a driver in the past on my ancient G4. If memory serves, you can do a search for the driver and locate it through there and drag an icon/alias onto the desktop.

Mmmmm.... I've already tried that & can't find it on the web. I'm SO sick of it. I took it back to the shop & the bloke there tried it in another MAC & apparently it worked (I couldn't see the screen), so I spent all day yesterday backing up files, putting them on another computer (as that was shy I'd bought the damned drive in the first place) to re-install my OS.... I'm STILL re-installing some of my software.... My firefox is screwed as it's now 2.0 version & its not the same.... Grrrrrrrr!
    Free Charmed.

Dude- that sucks. I remember my problem now, we installed AirPort and the computer wouldn't recognize the icon ergo, we couldn't dig it out and boot it up.

Pain in the BUTT!! I feel your pain.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

LOL! Ta, but maybe you should feel the guy's pain at the PC shop..... grumble grumble mutter chunter....
    Free Charmed.

Thread Information