Thread: Help creating invitations (image + text)

Default Help creating invitations (image + text)

I'm about at the end of my rope. I'm trying to design and print my own invitations, map cards, etc, and am having a hell of a time. If anyone could give me some tips, it would be much appreciated.

Basically, what I want to do should be simple. I want to take an image and either apply it as a background to the text (i.e. writing on top of it), or simply add some clip art to the corner of the page. I have a few different ideas in mind, so I'm pretty flexible on this point. I also need to create some smaller cards with map images on them, and be able to add markers and text to the map (or just make the whole thing myself and paste it as an image). So what I would end up would be rectangles, consisting of combined images and text, in varying sizes.

I then need to arrange the page setup such that I can print several items on one page (the biggest object I'll have is 4.5" x 6."), without wasting paper. I can't seem to tell Word to do this - basically I need to Tetris the objects into various positions, as I have 8.5 x 14 paper, so there should be no reason I can't fill each page with a number of objects (to be cut after), leaving only small margins in between.

All of this seems like it should be simple, yet various issues keep cropping up. When I shrink the margins, it tells me the margins are too big, and outside the range of the paper. At one point it decided to "tile" the background image on me for no apparent reason. The formatting of the text gets messed up. And so on.

I've downloaded Adobe's 30-day free trial of Photoshop, figuring that would be the better tool, but I'm not finding it very intuitive. I guess I could look into some tutorials for that. I don't quite know what I'm looking for - either advice on how to use Word more effectively to do this, or confirmation that Photoshop will help, I guess. Thanks!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Oh Tati-I don't know this either! But surely someone will help! Just remember this: It is YOUR wedding & you are so original, think out of the box. How many are you inviting? Could it work to make your own paper-pale photograph really softened down ,then hand write over it? Then print map out on calling card size? Look at the invites of Stars etc-they are hand done & all very different. Don't forget things like tiny ribbons hot glued on...they always look graceful. I will see if I can come up with something more, I really want to help!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Found this site:
    Unique DIY Wedding Invitations under $1
    Featuring petal paper, ribbon, charms, sashes, leaves, brads & more.
    Unique wedding invitations for less than $1 each - Do it Yourself Wedding Invitations

It has do-it-yourself ideas.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

do you have microsoft works their templates make it a little easier
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

SVZ

If you want I can whip up something for you in photoshop if I have some extra time?

She's not answering! I'm afraid the stress has got her! Oh lawd!

No Tati don't give in hun I need somebody to bitch about wedding planning with

Tati! Talk to us!!!!

Muahahaha. I was at work when I first posted, sorry folks. I've figured out... some stuff... not all of it yet, but I'm getting there. Making tables in Word helped, and I figured out that I can "washout" any image, thus creating a background out of it, so that was good.

I'll probably try to teach myself some Photoshop to make the maps. Thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate it!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I think I finally got mine done but my eyes are killing me now. I went for something simple though. Now if I just don't have to change the damn date again i'll be happy lol

Thread Information