Thread: Microsoft Zune

Default Microsoft Zune

I recently received a brown Microsoft Zune for Christmas, and I LOVE it. Does anyone else here have one? If anyone is considering a Zune, I would highly recommend it.

SVZ

I'm boycotting it because of its draconian DRM

what is DRM?

SVZ

Digital Rights Management...

You can share songs with other Zune's over wifi, but they will auto-delete after 3 days, and you can NEVER send them to that person again

It even imposes DRM and 3 day sharing limits to files YOU create add to your Zune - like mp3's from your garage band

You can't even use Microsoft's own PlayForSure store...or Napster or iTunes

http://www.liax.net/2006/12/29/micro...ne-to-be-gone/

• It only works with songs from Zune store, so even if have legal songs it won’t play them.
    • The songs bought at Zune store have a identity feature which doesn’t allow you to play it anywhere else but your Zune device. (this is where DRM comes in)
    http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...Andy23.article

The thing itself is cool, but Microsoft ruins it with all their stupid rules.

I personally don't have one, so I dunno if this is all true, but it's from pretty credible sources. But most people hate Microsoft

I have not heard good things about this product. A lot of people I've talked to about it don't like the sharing rules (see above) and I guess they're pretty crappily made also (this coming from the like three people I've talked to about it). I like the MP3 player I have on my phone, I can put my own tunes on it that I don't have to buy and if I want to have more space I can just buy a new memory card. Simple and clean.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

I am sad to hear that so many people don't like it! I love mine!! I guess the sharing music thing is not a problem for me because I download all of my music from Zune Marketplace anyway and am not interested in sharing/receiving songs from other people. If I like a song, I'll download it, and since Zune Marketplace is $15 a month for unlimited downloads instead of charging by the song, it's not like it costs me extra. I didn't have an iPod, and I'm too paranoid about computer viruses and lawsuits to illegally download music with a program like LimeWire, so I don't have other music on my computer. Here is my list of pros and cons:

Some of the features on mine that I like are:
    - the screen, which is only slightly larger than an iPod's (3 inch as opposed to 2) but can display photos and movies horizontally or vertically
    -downloading my own personal photos and videos to the Zune so that I can use them as backdrops or slideshows
    -searching for music in the marketplace by artist, album, genre, song, or year (enables me to easily find all of my favorite 80s songs!! ).. i think iPod has this too
    -the brown/green color... with that, i think you either love it or hate it
    -the plastic surface = no fingerprints
    -the fact that I was able to name it
    -you can listen to a song in full before choosing whether or not to download it
    -downloads are almost immediate (1-2 seconds) and are automatically and immediately synchronized from your computer to the device.
    -excellent sound quality
    -no spin scroller, a lot easier to use (for me... i always end up missing the songs i want on my ipod because i inadvertently pass it)

Cons:
    -not all music is available on Zune Marketplace. While I haven't had any real problems finding what I wanted, there were some songs and albums (i found that they are usually soundtracks) that are not available.
    -i haven't seen as many accessories such as covers available
    -inability to upload non-Zune music when the song that I want is unavailable in Zune Marketplace
    -I have heard a rumor that when you stop paying the monthly Marketplace subscription fee, it deletes all of your music.

k i searched for this thread so i wouldn't post it twice (pat me on the back please LOL) we bought this today for my daughter for Christmas. its a 30gig one, plays movies etc. Is anyone going to tell me good things about it? She has an IPOD, but this seems nicer. Can you really only get music from one place? help!!!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I have not found a way to put non-Zune marketplace music on mine. Another thing I realized is that I don't think it's possible to use it to burn CDs. I'm not completely sure about that though.

The Zune and Zune Marketplace are a LOT easier to use than the iPod and iTunes. I also think the quality of the sound and picture is a little better. For a child, I think the Zune is the better choice just because it's more durable and easier to use.

Thread Information