Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii

Default Nintendo Wii

"Fifteen Strangers Spending the Night Together on a Target Sidewalk"

I just waited in line overnight, outside, at a Target, to purchase a Ninentendo Wii for my 11 year old son, for Christmas.

Any other crazies out there??

We have been looking for a few weeks, and always arrive just as they have either sold the last one, or gave out the last "ticket". Last night, we arrived at 7pm and were third and fourth in line. They only had 15 to sell. The store manager told us this before the store closed, and asked us to let other people arriving know, so they didn't have to wait and not get one.
    The group of "15" was very interesting, ranging from 2 grandmas, 5 moms, 3 dads, and 5 young men from 14-30.
    Several of the young men were buying the systems to re-sell, and had been doing this for the last few weeks, making a hefty profit.

a waste of time to stand in line for something that will, in all likelyhood, have to be recalled anyway.

Never, ever get the first production run of a game system.. they dont work the bugs out till the second or third.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

OMG, Sherbear! So you are who my husband was with last night! LOL.
    He actually went to Toyrus around midnight, after they closed and finally got home around 9 this morning! He forgot his blanket! He did take 2 coats and it wasn't too cold, just 36 but he said it was terrible because he had nothing to sit on so he used our one son's booster seat and a newspaper to cover his face. He said he basically was sleeping sitting up, leaning against the store on the sidewalk. He was #15 in line and about 200 people showed up before the store actually opened at 8. They only had 30 Wii. He said people were pissed because they had been telling people that they had 150 of them coming in. But finally, we got the Wii and TMX Elmo. Finally for once, the kids will be happy. I really hate the Christmas past when they asked for that certain thing and couldn't get it. I have been through the Tickle me Elmo before, Sleep and Snore Ernie and Playstation. And I only get my kids 3 presents per kid and nothing over 100. Wii is the family gift and everyone wanted it.

I heard they were supposed to be getting one last big shipment today before the christmas holiday. Glad I got mine's pre ordered. As far as first production runs go, nintendo's got a pretty good track record for reliability. PS3 and 360 on the other hand I don't know.

A*O

We pre-ordered ours about a month ago and went to pick it up from the store last weekend. No worries.

I take Grimm's point and I've warned my son that there could be recalls and other problems and not to whine if it happens.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    OMG, Sherbear! So you are who my husband was with last night! LOL.
    He actually went to Toyrus around midnight, after they closed and finally got home around 9 this morning! He forgot his blanket! He did take 2 coats and it wasn't too cold, just 36 but he said it was terrible because he had nothing to sit on so he used our one son's booster seat and a newspaper to cover his face. He said he basically was sleeping sitting up, leaning against the store on the sidewalk. He was #15 in line and about 200 people showed up before the store actually opened at 8. They only had 30 Wii. He said people were pissed because they had been telling people that they had 150 of them coming in. But finally, we got the Wii and TMX Elmo. Finally for once, the kids will be happy. I really hate the Christmas past when they asked for that certain thing and couldn't get it. I have been through the Tickle me Elmo before, Sleep and Snore Ernie and Playstation. And I only get my kids 3 presents per kid and nothing over 100. Wii is the family gift and everyone wanted it.
    ^^That's exactly why I did it. I've heard that there are supposed to be many available this week, but got worried, and didn't want to miss the sure chance.

Glad to hear your family will get the gift they wanted, due to dear ol' dad! We had a few people like him, not really prepared, but stuck it out in the cold. I got abused for wearing ski pants, boots, the works, but I never got cold.

Did he have good stories about the people around him? We heard the crowd waiting at our ToysRUs were a little "angry", and people were afraid to leave their post.

Hmmm... we didn't have the pre-order option here (Ohio), or I would have done that, luckies!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    a waste of time to stand in line for something that will, in all likelyhood, have to be recalled anyway.

Never, ever get the first production run of a game system.. they dont work the bugs out till the second or third.
    Awh Grimm, that's so hard to explain to an 11 year old boy.

Pfft no it's not. 11 year old kids these days are 15 year olds in real-time.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

One thing I should mention to Wii owners/future owners, I think they mentioned a while ago that external sources of light may interfere with the remote.

I didn't think much of it when I read that a while ago, but a few days ago my controller started acting very weird. The cursor on screen would act all shaky and fidgety, and was very slow to respond to where I pointed the remote at. I was getting very angry and frustrated, and thought my remote was going bad. I tried recalibrating it, but nothing would work.

Then I remembered that report, and turned off the lights and closed the shades to keep out the sunlight (which was coming 'towards' me and the remote). That seemed to work as my remote started working again, with no shakiness. We'll see but for now if your controller acts weird it's best to play in the dark.

A*O

That won't be a problem - my kids have turned the family room/den into a dungeon anyway with the blinds permanently sealed so no chink of daylight can penetrate and melt their vampire souls.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Nintendo Wii: Still impossible to buy

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155960

As we reported a few days ago, Sunday the 17th was supposed to be a last chance for many to find a Nintendo Wii before the Christmas holiday. Several retail chains had apparently been stockpiling units for this day so they could advertise Wii availability in their stores.

Unfortunately, whatever amount they were able to stockpile clearly wasn't even close to enough.
    At a Best Buy in Colma California this morning, we spotted over 200 people waiting in line, several having stood in the cold the entire night. Only 20 of those camped out were lucky enough to get units when the store opened. Target down the street had over 100 people camped out...for the 8 units the store ultimately received.

Nintendo maintains that more shipments are still on their way this month, though how many more units will hit stores this week remains to be seen. How about you guys - were you able to score a Nintendo Wii today? Any suggestions for trying to still get one before Christmas?

^^
    Call each of the stores in your area, every morning, be kind & friendly, and hopefully someone will be nice enough to let you know if they are getting/have gotten shipments. Try not only the chain stores, but the smaller game stores, ie: GameStop, EBGames, in our area, as they received shipments more frequently, but might only get 8 at a time.
    I was lucky enough to purchase 2 on Sunday (had my nephew wait in line overnight with me and purchase one), and sold one to a friend at cost.

Good Luck!

Well now I've come to a sticking point. I've already spent lots of money buying six games for the Wii, and as is typical with a launch system, now there's not much else going on. The launch games were mediocre at best, similar to the PS3 launch library.

Zelda Twilight Princess was obviously a good game, I got my money's worth in its 40 plus hour game time. Red Steel I liked though many people hated it. Call of Duty 3 is so so, the graphics are like arse and it's damned frustrating to the point of me screaming and cursing, not a good sign for any game. Rayman Rabbits I don't like too much, it's cute but not much substance at all to its mini games and many of them are downright frustrating too. Excite Truck sucks, the control is so janky and hard to get used to I gave up. Splinter Cell is too short.

Graphics for most of those games are not even first generation x box quality, many of them feel rushed. Only Red Steel and Zelda seemed to put forth an effort to at least try to make it look nice.

The only other games out there are Cars, Happy Feet (???), Trauma Center, and others I have no interest in buying. The Virtual Console's list of games is not that great either.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great system and I love it but now are the lean times as we patiently await the next batch of great releases for the Wii. Well, since the next Mario is supposedly delayed until later next year, the next big release is way out in March for Metroid 3.

Warning, here is one game NOT to buy, universally it's gotten some of the worst for a Wii release (it's also a damned funny review to read, I was laughing pretty hard, the reviewer is so professional yet so...funny):

http://wii.ign.com/articles/751/751136p1.html

um well the wii is nowhere near as powerful as the xbox or pS3 in terms of processing power (i dont care what nintendo says, it's a total crock).. it's at best as good as the first xbox console on low res.

but thats what nintendo was aiming for.. a simple easy kid friendly (cheap) system. Hell, it doesnt even support HD tv's

It's definitely not as "high tech" as our xbox 360, but we bought it for "fun", and hopefully it's something that I can finally play (I'm totally lost on the other systems).

Zee

I would like to buy one next year when they release Super Mario Galaxy. My boys love that little plumber.

Best of luck to everyone waiting in line!
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information