• 1 Post By czb
  • 1 Post By sprynkles
  • 3 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By Neptunia
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 4 Post By Neptunia

Thread: HP laptop issue

Default HP laptop issue

Does anyone have an HP laptop? Have you had hard drive issues?
    I've had two HD failures on this four year old laptop. The HP laptop before that had an HD failure too. My sister and her husband are software engineers and they buy either Apple or Lenovo because they like those brands and think they're reliable.
    My brother-in-law said just the other day that he never buys HPs because they have more HD failures than others because of their hard drive placement. He heard from his computer friends that because of the placement of the hard drive, (closer to the front) if you put your palms on the laptop when you type (which I do) or place your elbows on the laptop if you're reading something (which I sometimes do too) it puts pressure on the mechanics of the hard drive and they breakdown.

I had no idea! I won't be buying HP laptops in the future that's for sure. Fortunately I back up but it's still really annoying. I'm replacing the current hard drive with a SSD so hopefully that will be better as it doesn't have as many moving parts that can break!

in my experience, HD and dell suck ass and are unreliable and don't last very long. a dell that i had to replace after less than a year and multiple repairs (including replacing the HD that died) is what prompted me to switch to apple. apples don't last as long as they used to - by design, because those fuckers want you to buy new ones more often - but they're a hell of a lot more reliable than most PCs. i've also heard good things about lenovo and IBM laptops are workhorses too.
    Neptunia likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hi, there. I'm totally agnostic on laptops. I buy based on specs rather than a particular manufacturer. I'm typing on an HP work laptop right now that has given me zero problems. It is an Intel I7-based processor, I use it for a lot of hardcore apps, including (but not lately) CAD.

However, the KEY thing I want to mention is that my laptop has a solid-state hard drive - not a spinning-platter one. I cannot over-emphasize the importance in having a solid-state drive over a platter drive. Access speeds and data writes are 100 to 1,000 times faster with solid state. And there is nothing moving that will crash. It probably uses less power, too.

Your laptop probably already has a solid-state drive slot available. You just slide of the bottom access panel, and then stick in what looks like a small popsicle stick (the solid state drive).

An example - I inherited my son's gaming laptop (a Dell) because he complained about performance and I had gotten him a new one. The laptop I inherited took two and a half minutes to boot up. It was brutal. But I upgraded it by sliding in a 500 GB drive ($70), and 8 GB of extra ram ($50). Then, I followed the directions for cloning the information from the platter drive onto the solid state drive. The performance difference was dramatic. It now boots up into Windows in 20 seconds instead of 150 seconds. It's so fast that when I restart the machine, I sometimes wonder if I've restarted it because I barely get to see the screen blank or the initial messages. Needless to say, starting and running applications (Microsoft Office, browsers, Steam games) is faster, too because the machine does not rely on 100 times slower data access to get program information off the hard drive.
    palta and Neptunia like this.

czb

mo is right about the solid state drive. but note that those also make the laptop heavier and more expensive.

my work laptop is a lenovo. my personal laptop is an acer. i would recommend either. most of my work i do on my home desktop, custom build.

can't do apple since most of the software i use doesn't work on their system.
    Neptunia likes this.

I have a fairly new HP laptop. I hate it. The cheap plastic body is cracked and breaking where you lift and close the screen in the back by where hinges should be . The screen will break off one of these days. I never close it anymore. No hd problems so far but it runs slower and slower every time friggen Microsoft updates

As I type this I am on my old Dell laptop I use at work. It's never given me any problems. Except for the same slowing caused by Microsoft. It's sturdy and has an aluminum body and heavy duty metal hinges.

I will probably never purchase an HP again. Cheap flimsy crap.
    Neptunia likes this.

I think it depends on the level of laptop you buy. Mrs Mo has an HP work laptop that is tiny and looks flimsy. Mine is a Probook 470 G4. 17-inch screen with a very sturdy plastic shell and an aluminum inner shell that goes around the keyboard. I've never dropped it, but I have banged it around, dragging it from home to office and room to room in our building. And spilled food all over it. It is indestructible.

I would never own a Lenovo -- they probably send all your critical data straight to China.

Acer and ASUS sound pretty good, but I have a coworker who accidentally messed up his ASUS laptop by smacking the power connection accidentally, and apparently it's hardwired into the motherboard and you can't fix it for anything like a reasonable price.

To followup on CZB and solid-state hard drives - the old one's were heavy. The new ones are about the size of two mini SD cards set end to end. Essentially weightless.
    czb, sprynkles and Neptunia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Hi, there. I'm totally agnostic on laptops. I buy based on specs rather than a particular manufacturer. I'm typing on an HP work laptop right now that has given me zero problems. It is an Intel I7-based processor, I use it for a lot of hardcore apps, including (but not lately) CAD.

However, the KEY thing I want to mention is that my laptop has a solid-state hard drive - not a spinning-platter one. I cannot over-emphasize the importance in having a solid-state drive over a platter drive. Access speeds and data writes are 100 to 1,000 times faster with solid state. And there is nothing moving that will crash. It probably uses less power, too.

Your laptop probably already has a solid-state drive slot available. You just slide of the bottom access panel, and then stick in what looks like a small popsicle stick (the solid state drive).

An example - I inherited my son's gaming laptop (a Dell) because he complained about performance and I had gotten him a new one. The laptop I inherited took two and a half minutes to boot up. It was brutal. But I upgraded it by sliding in a 500 GB drive ($70), and 8 GB of extra ram ($50). Then, I followed the directions for cloning the information from the platter drive onto the solid state drive. The performance difference was dramatic. It now boots up into Windows in 20 seconds instead of 150 seconds. It's so fast that when I restart the machine, I sometimes wonder if I've restarted it because I barely get to see the screen blank or the initial messages. Needless to say, starting and running applications (Microsoft Office, browsers, Steam games) is faster, too because the machine does not rely on 100 times slower data access to get program information off the hard drive.
    Thanks, this is so helpful! I have an HP Envy 17" laptop, it's a behemoth, more desktop than laptop really. It has an i-7 processor and 12 gigs of ram, other than the hard drive issues I love the computer, although I think the plastic casing is really cheap. I ordered a solid state drive which I hope will solve the HD failure issue. I wonder if they'll be an problem with windows 10 recognizing my new hard drive as it's entirely different from the other one but my sister says it Windows recognizes the computer components and not just the hard drive. Since there are two spots for hard drives do you think I should buy two SSD's or just the one I already bought and a regular hard drive?
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    Thanks, this is so helpful! I have an HP Envy 17" laptop, it's a behemoth, more desktop than laptop really. It has an i-7 processor and 12 gigs of ram, other than the hard drive issues I love the computer, although I think the plastic casing is really cheap. I ordered a solid state drive which I hope will solve the HD failure issue. I wonder if they'll be an problem with windows 10 recognizing my new hard drive as it's entirely different from the other one but my sister says it Windows recognizes the computer components and not just the hard drive. Since there are two spots for hard drives do you think I should buy two SSD's or just the one I already bought and a regular hard drive?
    Petunia - this is really key -- you need to check out your current hard drive usage in terms of space. The reason is that your new drive will/should have instructions for doing a straight clone of all your current hard drive info to the new drive. That's what I did, and it was like a freaking miracle when I booted back up.

In my case, my son had installed something like 600 GB worth of games and other files on the hard drive. Even though I'm a gamer, too, I had to make some hard choices about what I would de-install to save space. As an example, Doom for the Steam platform uses something like 50 GB of hard drive space all by itself. I basically whittled my hard drive space used down to about 450 GB. My new drive was 500 GB. Then, I ran the utility that moved everything over.

Remember, you want to especially make sure that your entire Windows OS is moved over -- because those are the most frequently used files, and will give you the most performance improvement. I just checked - and a solid state hard drive is about 5 times faster than a platter-based hard drive. So, theoretically, if it took you 1 minute and 40 seconds to boot into Windows, it would take you 20 seconds with the new drive.
    Neptunia likes this.

I put in the new solid state drive and it's amazing! My computer feels brand new and loads up in seconds and all the programs load so much faster too. If I'd known that spending $75 on a new hard drive would make such a difference I would have done it ages ago!
    czb, palta, MohandasKGanja and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    I put in the new solid state drive and it's amazing! My computer feels brand new and loads up in seconds and all the programs load so much faster too. If I'd known that spending $75 on a new hard drive would make such a difference I would have done it ages ago!

Thread Information