Like Tree22Likes
  • 6 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 3 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 3 Post By Brookie
  • 6 Post By CornFlakegrl
  • 2 Post By A*O
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja

Thread: First ever picture of a black hole....

Default First ever picture of a black hole....

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...aign=r_science

The first picture of a black hole opens a new era of astrophysics

The supermassive beast lies in a galaxy called M87 more than 50 million light-years away

BY
    LISA GROSSMAN

EMILY CONOVER

9:10AM, APRIL 10, 2019

INTO THE ABYSS The first image of a black hole shows a bright ring with a dark, central spot. That ring is a bright disk of gas orbiting the supermassive behemoth in the galaxy M87, and the spot is the black hole’s shadow.

EVENT HORIZON TELESCOPE COLLABORATION

SPONSOR MESSAGE

Editor's note: This story will be updated throughout the day as more information becomes available.

This is what a black hole looks like.
    A world-spanning network of telescopes called the Event Horizon Telescope zoomed in on the supermassive monster in the galaxy M87 to create this first-ever picture of a black hole.
    “We have seen what we thought was unseeable. We have seen and taken a picture of a black hole,” Sheperd Doeleman, EHT Director and astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass., said April 10 in Washington, D.C., at one of seven concurrent news conferences. The results were also published in six papers in the Astrophysical Journal Letters.
    “We’ve been studying black holes so long, sometimes it’s easy to forget that none of us have actually seen one,” France Córdova, director of the National Science Foundation, said in the Washington, D.C., news conference. Seeing one “is a Herculean task,” she said.
    That's because black holes are notoriously hard to see. Their gravity is so extreme that nothing, not even light, can escape across the boundary at a black hole's edge, known as the event horizon. But some black holes, especially supermassive ones dwelling in galaxies’ centers, stand out by voraciously accreting bright disks of gas and other material. The EHT image reveals the shadow of M87’s black hole on its accretion disk. Appearing as a fuzzy, asymmetrical ring, it unveils for the first time a dark abyss of one of the universe’s most mysterious objects.
    “It’s been such a buildup,” Doeleman said. “It was just astonishment and wonder… to know that you’ve uncovered a part of the universe that was off limits to us.”
    The much-anticipated big reveal of the image “lives up to the hype, that’s for sure," says Yale University astrophysicist Priyamvada Natarajan, who is not on the EHT team. "It really brings home how fortunate we are as a species at this particular time, with the capacity of the human mind to comprehend the universe, to have built all the science and technology to make it happen." (SN Online: 4/10/19)

The image aligns with expectations of what a black hole should look like based on Einstein’s general theory of relativity, which predicts how spacetime is warped by the extreme mass of a black hole. The picture is “one more strong piece of evidence supporting the existence of black holes. And that, of course, helps verify general relativity,” says physicist Clifford Will of the University of Florida in Gainesville who is not on the EHT team. “Being able to actually see this shadow and to detect it is a tremendous first step.”

All I see is a burning ring of fire (jk)
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    All I see is a burning ring of fire (jk)
    Cartermrc, HWBL and palta like this.

This is very cool, all the goofy Johnny Cash references aside.
    C_is_for_Cookie, HWBL and Ravenna like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

pretty cool. Try as I might, I can never make sense out of space/time. Black holes, black matter, space/time warping. I read about it and go huh? But that pic is cool as shit.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

A*O

This kind of stuff gives me vertigo. Our own vast galaxy is such a tiny speck of dust in the cosmos.
    I heard today the black hole measures 4 BILLION km across. Arghhhhhh!
    Brookie and palta like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Meh, it looks like a solar eclipse. Not impressed. *shrugs*
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Meh, it looks like a solar eclipse. Not impressed. *shrugs*
    Oh, yeah? I dare you go to over there and tell it that to its face! (You'll probably end up on 1770's era Mars.)
    ManxMouse and Brookie like this.

Thread Information