Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Java 2 gurus around?

Default Any Java 2 gurus around?

I'm having to re-learn Java in preparation for diving back into US I.T.; my technical skills have atrophied since I've been away.

I'm just looking at literals and operators and variables and all this other shit and I'm so ANNOYED by it!

Someone tell me again why I have to keep writing public static void main?

ReinaBikipatra

kiss kiss little girl.

This is an example from the book. How retarded is this?

public class Amoebamath {
    public static void main (String arguments[]) {
    int x = 6;
    short y = 4;
    float a = .12f;

System.out.println("You start with " + x + " pet amoebas.");
    System.out.println("\tTwo get married and their spouses move in.");
    x = x + 2;
    System.out.println("You now have " + x);

System.out.println("\tMitosis occurs, doubling the number of amoebas.");
    x = x * 2;

System.out.println("\tThere's a fight. " + y + " amoebas move out.");
    x = x - y;

System.out.println("\tParamecia attack! You lose one-third of the colony.");
    x = x - (x / 3);
    System.out.println("You end up with " + x + " pet amoebas.");
    System.out.println("Daily upkeep cost per amoeba: $" + a);
    System.out.println("Total daily cost: $" + (a * x));
    }

}

ReinaBikipatra

See swe'pea you are smarter than me. I don't know what the fuck that is.

Quote Originally Posted by ReinaBikipatra View Post
    See swe'pea you are smarter than me. I don't know what the fuck that is.

It's Java...it's a programming language, it's dumb. This is from Chapter 3 of Sams 'Teach Yourself Java in 21 Days.'

Silver Member

public static void main means that you are writing an executable program. So in the Amoebamath program, everytime you run it, every statement in the "main" function will be executed. You can have classes without a main method, though, like the following example.

public class Point{
    int x;
    int y;

public Point(int x, int y){
    this.x = x;
    this.y = y
    }

public void getPoint(){
    System.out.println(x + " " + y);
    }

public int getX(){
    return x;
    }

public static int getDifference(int x, int y){
    return x-y;
    }
    }
    This does not have a main method, so if you try to run it, nothing will happen, because you have not provided any instructions for it to run. You could use the Point class in a program with a main method, if you wanted to. For instance:

[qoute]
    public class Demo{
    public static void main(String args[]){
    Point p = new Point(2, 2);

System.out.println(p.getX());

System.out.println(Point.getDifference(4, 2);
    }
    }
    [/quote]

So now when I run this program, I am actually running an executable program. By contrast, try running Point and you'll see that nothing happens.

Static methods require an instance of an object to run. See Point's getX(); if I haven't created a Point object, then I don't have a Point to get x from. Imagine if I asked you the area of a circle that doesnt exist; it doesnt make sense to ask that question. Nonstatic methods dont require that an object be created. I wrote a method called getDifference, to which I provided two ints. The ints I provided had nothing to do with a Point object. Main methods are static because by definition they are run before any objects are created. Void means that the method does not return anything. Does that helpd clear things up? Good luck

SVZ

The answer is 4!!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonlady View Post
    public static void main means that you are writing an executable program. So in the Amoebamath program, everytime you run it, every statement in the "main" function will be executed. You can have classes without a main method, though, like the following example.

This does not have a main method, so if you try to run it, nothing will happen, because you have not provided any instructions for it to run. You could use the Point class in a program with a main method, if you wanted to. For instance:

public class Demo{
    public static void main(String args[]){
    Point p = new Point(2, 2);

System.out.println(p.getX());

System.out.println(Point.getDifference(4, 2);
    }
    }
    So now when I run this program, I am actually running an executable program. By contrast, try running Point and you'll see that nothing happens.

Static methods require an instance of an object to run. See Point's getX(); if I haven't created a Point object, then I don't have a Point to get x from. Imagine if I asked you the area of a circle that doesnt exist; it doesnt make sense to ask that question. Nonstatic methods dont require that an object be created. I wrote a method called getDifference, to which I provided two ints. The ints I provided had nothing to do with a Point object. Main methods are static because by definition they are run before any objects are created. Void means that the method does not return anything. Does that helpd clear things up? Good luck

Christ NO! Can you believe I have actually taken...and passed...not only a Java programming course, but a VB programming course as well, and I used to be able to do C as well?

Christ, the expression 'use it or lose it' was NEVER MORE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!

Get yourself a java in 21 days book. I love those books. Lots of good examples and explanations.

But yeah, non-web programming usually has a main function of some sort, otherwise it's just a library of functions

Quote Originally Posted by moocow View Post
    Get yourself a java in 21 days book. I love those books. Lots of good examples and explanations.

But yeah, non-web programming usually has a main function of some sort, otherwise it's just a library of functions

Yeah, I already have one...it said so in the original message. It sucks ass.

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    Yeah, I already have one...it said so in the original message. It sucks ass.
    Hm. I must be overlooking it, all I saw was that you had a book, not what type.

Is it a Sam's book? I can't remember which ones I have. I have several at any rate. Java2 in a nutshell is one I used for reference. You might look at "Java by Example", a Java bible, stuff like that.

Hm. I must be overlooking it, all I saw was that you had a book, not what type.

Is it a Sam's book? I can't remember which ones I have. I have several at any rate. Java2 in a nutshell is one I used for reference. You might look at "Java by Example", a Java bible, stuff like that.

It's the big purple hardback Sams one. It sucks ass.

Usually Sam's is good, but it can be hit or miss, depending on the authors.

I'm personally having to do more .net programming. And as much as I didn't want to, having to learn VB, while vbscript I've been using for a while.

Usually Sam's is good, but it can be hit or miss, depending on the authors.

I'm personally having to do more .net programming. And as much as I didn't want to, having to learn VB, while vbscript I've been using for a while.

The thing is, I don't want to be a programmer. Never have wanted to. I have to learn programming languages because moron managers think quality analysts need to know how to program, which isn't true. So there's already a mental block in my head to programming. I don't really care about it, so there's very little incentive to actually learn it. Plus, I busted my ass learning Java the first time and I'm not looking forward to doing it again. I'm on 'day 4' of the Sams book and I'm totally lost.

That's.. interesting. And wrong-headed of them. It's actually better in many ways NOT to consider the programming itself when you're performing analysis and upper level design. Better to have the black box/magic cloud idea when it comes to how things are done, rather than trying to design the underlying functionality.

I hate it when systems designers try to build in the program design. I don't even think they should decide for the programmers ahead of time what language to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information