Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Windows 10 Updates. GRRR!

Default Windows 10 Updates. GRRR!

My Dell Laptop seems to run worse after a Windows 10 update. And they do updates all the time. Sunday there was a massive one. It took 90 minutes. It was like a whole new os was loaded or something. All the settings I was so careful to turn off when I first got Win10, like Cortana were all on. Suddenly I have wifi adapter problems and after an attempted restart this morning I got some error message because it wouldn't restart. They gave me some code on the screen in case I had to talk to someone about my dead computer. Windows did manage to start it, thankfully. My anti virus program won't load. I can't even get it to open. Maybe it's all coincidence and my laptop is starting to die. It is about 5 years old. Is anyone else having problems?

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

They updated my computer just a few days ago. I'm not sure how long it took since it was during the night but now I can't use the SimplePass fingerprint thing on my HP laptop and it screwed up Itunes. I also had to update drivers for some reason which don't work with the new Windows 10 update. Just leave my computer alone! I've always been hesitant to turn off updates just in case there's some security update but maybe I'll try it just to keep my computer stable.

I found this video and just turned off updates. I wonder what would happen if I did a system restore?

Neptunia likes this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

I didn't know it was going to be the big update of the century. It kept bugging me to do it, so I did it at 10 pm. 15 hours later I turned it off and then back on. It ran more updates (that spinning circle of dots) and then a few days later it ran more for an hour and then the next day. I do believe it has finished.

I hate IOS 10 for iphone. They changed so much, just the way your fingers are used to navigating. No more swipe to open, you have to press the home button. It changed the formatting on my yahoo mail on the phone, unless yahoo did that which I doubt. Just a lot of visual changes. I don't really need to draw pictures with my finger to send in a text message. Jesus Apple programming people.

The changes to Outlook are driving me crazy too

My laptop pretty much froze after a big update last week and after some investigating on Google that updates appears to hate AVG so my husband, once he got it working again, got rid of AVG. I haven't had any problems since.

Elite Member

Whatever it did overnight is killing my laptop. I woke up this morning to it not being able to boot (even though I left it on last night) and then it took a half hour to do whatever it does, and it keeps running at 100% disk usage when nothing is running. WTF?

My laptop crashed 2 weeks ago, so I bit the bullet and got a mac desktop. Pretty happy with it and don't miss my windows at all.
    Neptunia likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    My laptop pretty much froze after a big update last week and after some investigating on Google that updates appears to hate AVG so my husband, once he got it working again, got rid of AVG. I haven't had any problems since.
    I was having this problem yesterday. AVG was taking up 100% of the disk usage. I didn't uninstall it yet, but I'm about to. It's working ok today. I hate those automatic updates.

I was working late last night and had a couple more things I wanted to get done, and my computer just turned itself off and started updating. Super annoying.

Just wanted to say, in reference to the AVG mentions, that when I have seen this issue, it is usually a problem/conflict with the antivirus software.

I had to uninstall my Avira AV. It wouldn't work at all after the last update. But my Trend Micro which came with the computer works brilliantly now.

Another weird Windows 10 update oddity. Ever since the updates, I've been having issues with Chrome. I'm not sure if it's the virus software doing it but even on this website there's something weird going on. I'm logged in but when I try to post pictures it says I have to refresh because I'm not logged in and have to repost the pictures all over again. It's so weird and also....I hate Windows 10!

czb

i was told not to update to Win 10 so bypassed the update.

all ok here with Win7 pro.

sorry you guys are having problems ....
    Neptunia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i was told not to update to Win 10 so bypassed the update.

all ok here with Win7 pro.

sorry you guys are having problems ....
    You made the right choice. When my laptop was having issues I went to my old Windows 7 computer that I replaced with the "new and improved Windows 10" laptop and it worked perfectly, a little slow but that was the hardware not the OS.

This morning I opened my laptop and there were more updates (I forgot to turn them off!!) Then when I tried to pop up my browser, the screen went blue with an "Oops" sign and something that said that my laptop ran into trouble, and then "Critical Process Died" It should have also said, brought to you by Shit Happens otherwise known as Windows 10.
    I had to restart the computer and wait for awhile for things to load up again. I wonder if I should just downgrade to Windows 7 or 8? I have a lot of ram, an i7 core processor, it should all work to give me a good preforming computer but then Windows 10 comes along and ruins everything. Has anyone downgraded?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information