Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By fgg
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By Neptunia

Thread: Comcast or Verizon Fios? Other options?

Default Comcast or Verizon Fios? Other options?

Has anyone switched from Comcast to Verizon Fios and thought that was a good move?

I currently have Comcast but I've had trouble the past few months with my internet connection. It goes down constantly and I have to reset the modem a few times a day. Yesterday, I had to reset my modem twice during a show, wait for it to reboot and then start the show again 15 minutes later. The Comcast app on my phone says I have a weak and unstable signal. I've called Comcast, they've re-synched the modem from their end a few times, had me replace my modem and sent a tech around but they can't seem to find the problem except to tell me that I have a "high upstream rate" but then don't do anything about it.

I'm thinking about just giving up on Comcast and moving over to Fios but a friend of mine has it and thinks it's not as fast or reliable as cable. We have it at work too and it has issues with speed, where it's not as fast as they told us it would be.

I do a lot of streaming with Netflix, Hulu and Prime. I rarely watch broadcast TV so I don't even have a ton of channels. Essentially I'm paying just for fast internet and that's about $95 a month since I don't watch the TV channels at all.
    I know there are people who have "cut the cord" but how do they watch Netflix and other streaming services without a cable or fiber optic connection? I really want a fast internet (right now my speed, when working, is about 70 mbps) so I want something similar but consistent and Comcast is just not helping me with my internet connection outages.

I live in New Jersey and my main options seem to be Comcast or Fios but neither one seem to be that desirable. Are there other options for a good streaming connections? I'd really appreciate any suggestions!

I switched from Comcast to FIOS about a year and a half ago. I saved a TON of money. Cable menu system is so much better I can't even begin to describe the differences with how much better the cable system and On-Demand works. Not sure I have ever lost my connection for more than about 5 minutes.
    Neptunia likes this.

fgg

we switched from brighthouse to fios about two years ago and then were forced to move on to frontier when they bought fios in florida. it sucks so far!
    Neptunia likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Thanks for the answers. I'm trying one more time with Comcast to fix this mess with an appointment on Wednesday, if it doesn't work this time, I'm going to Fios! I hate Comcast!!! In fact I think I'm just going to go to Fios when my contract is up in January even if they fix the mess!

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    Thanks for the answers. I'm trying one more time with Comcast to fix this mess with an appointment on Wednesday, if it doesn't work this time, I'm going to Fios! I hate Comcast!!! In fact I think I'm just going to go to Fios when my contract is up in January even if they fix the mess!
    We spent years trying to get Comcast to give us a stronger signal to our house. I guess part of the problem was the technology itself. We have a very long driveway and had coax going all the way up to our house, which means that there is a lot of signal attenuation along the way. Then, we had tv's with cable in 5 different rooms. They kept reworking the splitters, etc. I think they finally put in an amplifier, but that was after 7 years or so. The Verizon box gets a fiber connection right at our house, which means minimal signal loss.
    Neptunia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    We spent years trying to get Comcast to give us a stronger signal to our house. I guess part of the problem was the technology itself. We have a very long driveway and had coax going all the way up to our house, which means that there is a lot of signal attenuation along the way. Then, we had tv's with cable in 5 different rooms. They kept reworking the splitters, etc. I think they finally put in an amplifier, but that was after 7 years or so. The Verizon box gets a fiber connection right at our house, which means minimal signal loss.
    This is exactly what's happening to me. Signal issues, sometimes it registers as unstable and other times just weak. Since you tried like I did to get Comcast to fix the issue and they couldn't do it for you either, that just gives me more confidence to cut off Comcast and head towards Fios. I like the idea of having the connection right at the house for less signal loss, that's perfect for the situation I'm in right now. Thanks!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Thread Information