Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Internet connected sex toys are at risk of being hacked

Default Internet connected sex toys are at risk of being hacked

Internet connected sex toys are at risk of being hacked

by Yasuo

Written by Yasuo

Resourceful hackers can easily take control of sex toys connected to the Internet, security researchers have warned.
    The growing trend of so-called smart devices has seen everything from fridges to light bulbs becoming connected to the Internet, as manufacturers seek to improve the functionality of their products.
    An inadvertent consequence of smart devices is that it opens up the possibility of cyber attacks, allowing hackers to take control of the products and spy on the users.
    To demonstrate these vulnerabilities, security firm Trend Micro hacked into a web-connected vibrator at the CeBIT technology fair in Germany this week.
    “If I hack a vibrator it’s just fun,” said Raimund Genes, chief technology officer at Trend Micro. “But if I can get to the back-end, I can blackmail the manufacturer.”

Several sex toy manufacturers have launched products that can connect to smartphones and computers via WiFi and Bluetooth, allowing users to control them and download software updates.
    According to experts, companies too often treat security as an afterthought when producing Internet-enabled devices.
    “The problem here is that many Internet of Things devices [smart devices connected to the Internet] are horribly broken security-wise because it costs money to ensure a reasonable standard of protection on a product,” Chris Boyd, an analyst at the security firm Malwarebytes.
    Some modern sex toys even include webcams that can be used to communicate with partners remotely. This opens up the possibility of hackers intercepting devices and secretly spy on the user, however manufacturers have been quick to stand behind the security of their products.
    “There are three layers of security,” Sex toy maker Lovense said in a statement. “The server side, the way we transfer information from the user’s phone to our server and on the client side.

Internet connected sex toys are at risk of being hacked
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Why in the hell would you need an app to operate your sex toy? Are we really that lazy now?

What will these kids think of next?

(I think that app could be fun)
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Why in the hell would you need an app to operate your sex toy? Are we really that lazy now?
    Actually, the idea is that someone remotely (over the Internet) can control the device at will. So, a boyfriend who is on a business trip can skype with you, hit a button and go "How about that! And here's another!" And so on. Kind of like reaching out to touch you.

There is another site where livecam people have the device, and as they get remote "tips", the device is triggered for a certain number of seconds. The device: Luxury Line of Vibrators, Vibrator Accessories & Sex Toys by OhMiBod

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Actually, the idea is that someone remotely (over the Internet) can control the device at will. So, a boyfriend who is on a business trip can skype with you, hit a button and go "How about that! And here's another!"
    It could get weird. So, you're in a meeting and there's a buzzing sound. The person next to you asks "Aren't you going to get your phone?"
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

^^^^ omg, huge laugh after a very long day!!

I'd like to know what kind of update a vibrator needs? This is just too funny.
    LastLook likes this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    It could get weird. So, you're in a meeting and there's a buzzing sound. The person next to you asks "Aren't you going to get your phone?"
    Why is your vibrator in your purse?
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    The WeVibe (I've heard) comes with its own remote, but the app for it (I've heard) has additional settings and modes. It can vibrate in about 10 different ways (I've heard). It's also a pretty "hands-off" toy so once it's in place it's convenient to be able to operate it remotely (I've heard).
    OrangeSlice, sprynkles and Nevan like this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    "How about that! And here's another!"

"A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Why is your vibrator in your purse?
    It may not be in your purse...
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Whores.
    sprynkles and Nevan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    The WeVibe (I've heard) comes with its own remote, but the app for it (I've heard) has additional settings and modes. It can vibrate in about 10 different ways (I've heard). It's also a pretty "hands-off" toy so once it's in place it's convenient to be able to operate it remotely (I've heard).
    I like your little disclaimers there, Tati! Nothing to see here!!
    sprynkles likes this.

Is it wrong that when I read about remoteness with a toy and the possibility of hacking, those old telephone commercials came to mind?

twitchy2.0 and OrangeSlice like this.

Any internet/cloud app, particularly when free, is for data mining and behavioral analysis purposes. If I had a dildo, I'd make sure it didn't have Wifi capability! Lol. Same thing with voice-activated smart TVs and phones...you agree to what they require, out of convenience, but never know the third-parties they are sending your stuff to. The tracking stuff is pretty damn scary if you pay attention.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information