• 1 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 2 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 1 Post By greysfang
  • 4 Post By Trixie
  • 3 Post By Heidi Ho
  • 1 Post By InigoMontoya

Thread: Men who harass women online are quite literally losers, new study finds

Default Men who harass women online are quite literally losers, new study finds

Men who harass women online are quite literally losers, new study finds

By Caitlin Dewey July 20 at 3:07 PM

(Farhan Perdana/Flickr)

Here’s a research finding that should surprise no one: The men most likely to harass women online … are the men most likely to have their own problems.
    That bit of validation comes courtesy Michael Kasumovic and Jeffrey Kuznekoff, researchers at the University of New South Wales and Miami University, respectively. For their latest study, published in the journal PLOS One last week, the duo watched how men treated women during 163 plays of the video game Halo 3.

As they watched the games play out and tracked the comments that players made to each other, the researchers observed that — no matter their skill level, or how the game went — men tended to be pretty cordial to each other. Male players who were good at the game also tended to pay compliments to other male and female players.
    Some male players, however — the ones who were less-skilled at the game, and performing worse relative their peers — made frequent, nasty comments to the female gamers. In other words, sexist dudes are literally losers.

A chart from the Halo study that shows how nice male gamers were to other males (dotted line) and females (solid line) during gameplay. Men always treat each other about the same. But the better a player gets, the more likely he is to be nice to ladies. (Kasumovic et al)
    In today’s online environment, alas, this is not an idle observation. According to a recent Pew report, 40 percent of Internet users have personally experienced harassment. While both genders are frequent victims of this abuse, women tend to get the worst of it: They are “particularly vulnerable to sexual harassment and stalking,” Pew said.

[Online harassment isn’t just a women’s issue — it hurts guys, too]

I asked Kasumovic, the lead author on the study, how applicable his findings were in other online or offline settings. In other words, how much of this derives from human nature, and how much of it relates to the unique demands of first-person shooters?
    Kasumovic argues that video games actually make incredible proxies for studying real-life behavior — Halo 3, especially.
    There are three things you should know about the game, for the purpose of understanding this study: (1) players are anonymous, and the possibility of “policing individual behavior is almost impossible”; (2) they only encounter each other a few times in passing — it’s very possible to hurl an expletive at another player, and never “see” him or her again; and (3) finally, and perhaps predictably, the sex-ratio of players is biased pretty heavily toward men. (A 2014 survey of gender ratios on Reddit found that r/halo was over 95 percent male.)
    That should sound a whole lot like a lot of other, frequently sexist online spaces: Think Twitter. Or Reddit. Or 4chan.

In each of these environments, Kasumovic suggests, a recent influx of female participants has disrupted a pre-existing social hierarchy. That’s okay for the guys at the top — but for the guys at the bottom, who stand to lose more status, that’s very threatening. (It’s also in keeping with the evolutionary framework on anti-lady hostility, which suggests sexism is a kind of Neanderthal defense mechanism for low-status, non-dominant men trying to maintain a shaky grip on their particular cave’s supply of women.)
    “As men often rely on aggression to maintain their dominant social status,” Kasumovic writes, “the increase in hostility towards a woman by lower-status males may be an attempt to disregard a female’s performance and suppress her disturbance on the hierarchy to retain their social rank.”
    In other words, like your mother always said, bullies just feel bad about themselves.
    This does not, alas, suggest any solutions for on- or offline sexism, or any hope that it will ever really end. (“There are so many more questions we’ve already begun to to ask and our results are looking really interesting,” Kasumovic said.)
    Until then, ladies, Facebook and Pinterest are your friends! Those are, for better or worse, two of the online spaces where this type of sex-ratio imbalance isn’t much of a problem: Women on both sites solidly outnumber men.

Men who harass women online are quite literally losers, new study finds - The Washington Post

Nice to have my suspicions backed by hard evidence.

also, fuck this: "Until then, ladies, Facebook and Pinterest are your friends! Those are, for better or worse, two of the online spaces where this type of sex-ratio imbalance isn’t much of a problem: Women on both sites solidly outnumber men."
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; July 21st, 2015 at 11:27 AM.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Losers and (probably) borderline psychotic.
    Jazzy and BITTER like this.

I'd like to see them expand this to other areas. There's a certain kind of person whose problems are always someone else's fault. 'Let's just find the nearest minority and make them a scapegoat and then everything is better!' /s
    Serendipity and BITTER like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Isn't it known that most of them are mama basement dweller's anyway?
    BITTER likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Well, you learn something new every day.

This isn't one of those things.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Hit By Ban Bus!

To be fair to both genders...anyone playing that game is a bit of a loser.

Bronze Member

"this isn't one of those things" lol took the words right out of my mouth.......or, I guess, fingertips. I don't see why this needed to be a 'study.' Anyone engaging in this type of bahaviour, whatever gender, is a loser. People who make themselves feel better by making other people feel bad about themselves obviously have problems.

Way to research what's already common knowledge.
    "I would have gladly held my nose and did the right thing all damn day long to keep Trump out of the fucking White House and it wouldn't have butt hurt me at all."...gas_chick

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I'd like to see them expand this to other areas. There's a certain kind of person whose problems are always someone else's fault. 'Let's just find the nearest minority and make them a scapegoat and then everything is better!' /s
    Reminds me of a Lorne Michaels quote from the recently revised "Live From New York book:

"Some people, their whole lives, are just injustice collectors. They're going to find new injustices every day. That's what they do, that's who they are."
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

Thread Information