Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell phone idiots

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Cell phone idiots

So I'm in a restaurant today, having lunch with la familia and three girls in thier late teens/early twenties sit down at the table next to us. They order and then all three, in unison, pick up thier phones and start texting. They they all make calls and spend the entire lunch not talking to each other but talking to whomever was on the other end of their respective phones. It was funny as hell but sad, too. I kind of felt like grabbing the phones, throwing them over the balcony and saying 'for fuck's sake, talk to each other, you dumb twits.' I managed to restrain myself.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Re: Cell phone idiots

Soooooo annoying. What's the point?? Hubby and I followed a couple of guys in a car the other day, and they both spent the whole time with their cell phones glued to their ears, not talking to each other.
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

KD
    Elite Member

I enjoy it when people feel they are so very important that they can not go to a restaurant etc without rcving 20 calls. I am referring to adults, teens I can give some stupidity leeway to, but ADULTS?

I don't want to hear your cell phone ring 20 times during my meal.

Quote Originally Posted by KD
    I enjoy it when people feel they are so very important that they can not go to a restaurant etc without rcving 20 calls. I am referring to adults, teens I can give some stupidity leeway to, but ADULTS?

I don't want to hear your cell phone ring 20 times during my meal.
    Ooohhhh.. Yeah! Yesterday I was on a conference call for work, and the woman leading the meeting answered her cell phone 3 friggin' times!! Nothing like making it seem the discussion at hand was less than important.
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

KD
    Elite Member

^Yeah, how incredibly professional.

I have a few friends that come to my house and take 5 calls on their cells as we are visiting. Same thing, ya know? Am I keeping you?

I agree it is incredibly annoying when people are at your house and they take calls. If they want to answer and say 'can I ring you back later' that's fine, but I've had people leave the room, go into another and have 20 minute conversations. And don't even get me started on the people who spend their time with you continuously texting someone else. Fucking annoying beyond words. I mean, I wouldn't sit down and write someone a letter while visiting so why is it ok to text? Wasn't there a time when you had guests at your house and if your landline rang you would either let the machine get it or else tell whomever was calling that you were busy and would ring them back? Why hasn't this behavior transferred to cells?

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

If someone comes into the office and is talking on their cell, I just look at them...raise my eyebrows and look at the phone. You knew you were walking in here-hang the fucking phone up. Don't even think that I am going to wait on you trying to talk over another conversation.
    And if you are standing here talking to me-it does have a way to silence it. Have some respect and common sense.
    I had to ask one lady to hang up before she signed her lease for storage. She said "I'm listening." I told her that if she didn't hang up the phone I would not rent her the storage. This was a legal document and she needed to hear what was being said-she didn't like it, but she hung the damn phone up. I had seen signs in gas stations that said "no cell phones at counter" and thought that was taking it a little too far-until I had to deal with trying to wait on customers who were trying to listen, talk, read and count money at the same time...annoying as hell!!
    As an avid texter....I would rather text if out than someone have to hear a loud conversation or just my conversation in general...
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

How about the people in movie theaters?? Yes, their phones are now turned "off", but they still sit there and text throughout the movie. The little phone lights though the theater are just as annoying.

I have a sister who "texts" the entire time she's with me. Bitch.

it's just totally rude in every way, either you want to be with the people you are with or you shouldn't bother, keep your ass at home and just call everybody on the face of the fricken earth

if people had to pull over and find a pay phone like in the old days, 99% of these calls would never happen, cause they just aren't important

^^Agreed. If people take long phone calls, cell or otherwise, in my presence, I've been known to get up and leave. It's rude, period, and texting is no different.

if people had to pull over and find a pay phone like in the old days, 99% of these calls would never happen, cause they just aren't important
    You are so right because if you eavesdrop on the chat it usually goes something like, 'Yeah, I was thinking of the red one but then I thought, do I really need another red tank top? So then I was looking at the white one, but realized I don't have any good bras for it....' You know, really important shit.

--Sinclair Lewis

Oh my God I agree with every single one of you!!! And just to make my life suck as much as possible I work with some freaking case who takes personal calls ALL DAY LONG!!! She hooked up with some one she dated a couple of decades ago so all day long you have to hear the shmoopie talk or the you're an idiot talk. Most annoying of all is she keeps saying "oh we're breaking up" and makes shhhhhhhh sounds into the cell phone. it's all I can do to not scream FOR THE LOVE OF PETE BREAK UP ALREADY!!!!! And when she's not ON the cell she is talking about what she talked about when she was ON the cell. It's ALL part of the conspiracy to drive me insane and it's working...

Next time she goes to the bathroom, destroy her phone. Act innocent when she asks you if you've seen it. She'll get another phone within days but at least you'll get a little bit of peace.

--Sinclair Lewis

Sometimes I feel like cell phones and pagers were two of the worst things ever invented! For years I was a holdout until I became a mom and my techno geek hubby guilted me into getting one for the sake of safety since I was going to be driving around with the little one. I can't deny there have been times when I was glad to have it on me, but I can honestly recall about twice as much (or more) aggravation with it. I rarely keep the ringer on anything but vibrate, and I refuse to take it with me to class because I know I'm going to forget to turn the fucker off and have it start ringing in my bag during a test or something (they make us put our bags up against the front wall during tests). People talking excessively on cell phones annoy the piss out of me!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Ha...my techno geek hubby also made me get one after one of our kids yakked across a shop an hour from our home and I had to borrow a phone to ring him for a ride. But I rarely use it for anything other than 'can you pick milk up on the way home' or 'are you coming soon to get us' or similar. I generally ignore most incoming calls, which pisses people off but eh, if it's important enough, they'll contact me when I get home.

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information