Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Holy crap - 3D replication is here - MakerBot's 3D scanner(to go with its 3D printer)

Default Holy crap - 3D replication is here - MakerBot's 3D scanner(to go with its 3D printer)

Sorry the title cut off - I ran out of room:

This article is talking about MakerBot's new 3D scanner. Previously, if you wanted to print a 3D object on their printers, you needed to either purchase and download a 3D design from someone else, or create it yourself in CAD. I've done CAD for years, and it is not a walk in the park. Anyway, it scans stuff up to 8 inches wide/diameter by 8 inches high, and up to 6 pounds. So, let's say, you like a picture frame, or bangle, or earring, or statuette that your friend has? Say, "Hey, can I borrow that for a second and make a copy?" And you have your own version. Of course it will be made out of plastic, but baby steps! I'm old enough to remember 8-page-per-minute black and white printers that weighed 80 pounds and cost thousands. And now look where we are.

http://gizmodo.com/makerbots-new-dig...ite-1183410707

MakerBot's New Digitizer Scanner Is a Copier For 3D Items

Today MakerBot introduced what's basically a Xerox machine for physical items: the Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner. It'll make 3D-printing at home a lot easier, but that doesn't mean it'll make it cheaper.
    We saw it teased back in March at SXSW, but this is the first time the Digitzer has been available. As a refresher, it scans an object with a camera and a pair of lasers, and instantly renders you a 3D design that can be used to make your object, no technical know-how required. The machine costs $1,400 and is available for pre-order now, shipping in the middle of October.
    Of course, you need a Replicator to go with it. But it takes out the 3D printing middleman in an important way. Need a spare part? No need to send off for it, you can just scan it and then print it on your machine. You don't need any kind of CAD or design experience.This machine is definitely one way to make 3D printing more democratic. Now anyone can reproduce anything as long as it fits the Digitizer's size constraints (less than eight inches in diameter, less than eight inches tall, and under 6.6 pounds). Now if only they made a 3D printerthat could churn out $1400.
    Last edited by MohandasKGanja; August 22nd, 2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: '
    OrangeSlice likes this.

This stuff is so incredibly awesome.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I was listening to a science talkback show yesterday and Dr Karl claims this is the greatest event since the Gutenberg Bible. Pretty amazing stuff.

ETA Terrorist icebergs, moon landings, dog languages. | media | triple j
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Hit By Ban Bus!

Researchers closing in on printing 3-D hearts

The possibilities are really far reaching.

— Researcher Stuart Williams is not talking about a far-off, science-fiction effort when he describes how scientists here will create new, functioning human hearts — using cells and a 3-D printer.

The project is among the most ambitious in the growing field of three-dimensional printing that some say could revolutionize medicine.
    "We think we can do it in 10 years — that we can build, from a patient's own cells, a total 'bioficial' heart," said Williams, executive and scientific director of the Cardiovascular Innovation Institute. The institute is a collaboration between the University of Louisville and the Jewish Heritage Fund for Excellence.

Known for creating products as diverse as car parts and action figures, 3-D printing also is being used to create models of human bones and organs, medical devices, personalized prosthetics and now, human tissues. Williams describes the process as taking a three-dimensional structure "and essentially cloning it, using a printer."

I skimmed a headline about this earlier and thought "if I were a decent cyber friend I'd read that and post it for Mohand because he is mad excited about this.... oooh look, a squirrel."

It is pretty cool, but in a way it weirds me out. I guess my silly little organic, original brain can't quite comprehend it.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Also, I think it's ok to put "crap" in the thread title.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

At my kids' back-to-school orientation today, one of the dads told me he was walking down the aisle at Office Depot and saw 3D printers on the shelf. You know a product has gone mainstream when it's selling at Office Depot! I just looked it up and here it is. By the way, it's about $1,300. While that's steep, that's what black and white laser printers cost in 1989. Prices will come down VERY quickly.

3D Systems Cube Printer 2nd Generation Magenta by Office Depot

Home > Technology > Printers, Scanners, Copiers, Faxes > Specialty Printers > 3D Printers > Product Details

Not Yet Rated Write the first review

3D Systems® Cube® Printer 2nd Generation, Magenta

Item # 201404

• Ultra portable, plug and play 3D printer for the home, school or office.
    • Wireless connectivity for shared, cable-free access.

Your Price$1,299.99
    / each

Then we can all download cars. Using a 3D printer to build a car - Telegraph

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

So how much are refills? What all could one do with this at home?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    So how much are refills? What all could one do with this at home?
    I just checked. Refills are $50 each. I can't tell, though, how many ounces of material that gives you.

This site is one of several dedicated to models that you can download and print on a 3D printer: Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects

Examples - Nexus bumper case:

Artwork, like a T-Rex head:

Action figure:

You can make replacement plastic parts for stuff you broke and otherwise would have thrown away. Also, just general useful stuff that you would have bought at the hardware store - like shelf supports:
    OrangeSlice likes this.

So cool!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    So cool!
    What is cool is that we are all watching the first stage. These are printing one color at a time. Soon, it will be multiple colors. Then, mixing colors.

They are already experimenting with having the printers able to lay down metal, which would be important for creating electric/things with circuitry.

They are also working on 3D FOOD printers for astronauts because the ingredients would be more stable and they would be able to have a much more diverse menu.

I remember seeing the little food pellets before. I can see patented items becoming a huge issue with the 3D scanner and printer though.

It's amazingly great and scary at the same time.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Man Makes 3D Printed Prosthetic Hand For Son For Only $10 | I Fucking Love Science

Thanks to 3D printing, high quality prosthetic limbs are cheaper and easier to obtain than ever before.

Twelve-year-old Leon McCarthy has been missing fingers on his left hand since birth due to lack of blood flow during his development. within the womb. Traditional prosthetic units to help people like Leon can run tens of thousands of dollars. In search of a cost-effective alternative, Leon’s father discovered a YouTube video by inventor Ivan Owen. Owen and Richard Von As from Johannesberg, South Africa began to collaborate on a high quality, low cost 3D printed prosthetic (which has already been covered by IFLScience). Because Owen and Van As do not hold a patent or charge to download the plans for the hand, the cost of materials is all that is required.

Despite the materials being inexpensive, 3D printers still carry a hefty price tag. Fortunately, Leon’s school owns a 3D printer and made it available. With only $10 in material and about 20 minutes with the printer, Leon now has a new “cyborg” hand with fingers able to close, which he sees as “special, not different.” The fingers are controlled by flexing the wrist, which pulls on cable “tendons” to close around the desired object.

Leon is now able to grasp his backpack handle, hand a snack to a friend, and even grip the handlebars on his bike just like any other kid with two hands. As Leon grows up, Paul will merely have to print another device to accommodate the larger wrist. Because the hands are so inexpensive to build, the two have been able to tweak different designs in order to find something to better suit Leon’s needs.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information