Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Geek Girls Have Nothing to Prove

Default Geek Girls Have Nothing to Prove

I hope this fits in the Tech area - not all geeks are tech geeks, but a lot of them are (scientists, sci fi lovers, gamers). Because of her job, Mrs. Mohandas has one foot in the geek world and one foot outside it. And she wears glasses! I love female geeks.

MentalNotes, Tati and Karistiona like this.

Mo - we're taking up a collection and buying you the 3D Printer for Xmas.

Hell yeah! Us geeky girls need more appreciation, we're hugely underrated.

Ooh yay I didn't notice Adam Savage there! Sexy geeky ginger.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'm a pretty fierce online gamer when I get the chance and have racked up a good HK score but I don't know whether that makes me a geek. I do know that the presumption online is that I'm male though. Apparently I can't be a girl because I'm fairly good at what I do.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I'd say being a gamer makes you fairly geeky, particularly if you're good at it! Sometimes I like being a girl gamer, if you're playing something in a team with guys they'll give you stuff and let you away with stealing kills and whatnot. Werk it!

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    I'd say being a gamer makes you fairly geeky, particularly if you're good at it! Sometimes I like being a girl gamer, if you're playing something in a team with guys they'll give you stuff and let you away with stealing kills and whatnot. Werk it!
    You get stuff for free? How the hell do you manage that? I always have to take my chances against everyone else. I think being seen as 'one of the boys' might be backfiring on me...
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

My daughter will play Minecraft for quite a while with my son, building big fortresses and connecting them together with underground tunnels. Kind of geeky, and I hope it gets her interested in civil engineering and architecture.

She used to play Left for Dead a lot on the Xbox, which is definitely something I don't think a lot of girls do. Her favorite thing to do was to get in online matches where she could be a Spitter and spew gallons of bile at people.

Atta girl! I'm not very good at those games, the most I was able to do in Left for Dead was pick up a frying pan and whack people with it. Not very effective. I don't know about getting her interested in a career, but it'll certainly help with her hand eye coordination.

Yeah Kitty, you've got to use your girlie charms to your advantage! Has Big Bang Theory taught you nothing?
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Atta girl! I'm not very good at those games, the most I was able to do in Left for Dead was pick up a frying pan and whack people with it. Not very effective. I don't know about getting her interested in a career, but it'll certainly help with her hand eye coordination.
    I have to admit, the frying pan is an awesome melee weapon because of that amazing sound it makes when you whack a zombie with it. The guitar is pretty good, too, for the same reason.

Speaking of hand-eye coordination, one time I was taking a Visual Basic class, mainly to work better with Microsoft Office stuff. One of my classmates was a Comp Sci major, who had already had C++ and other classes. She had a really tough time with Visual Basic, though, because you do need hand-eye coordination in addition to programming and typing skills. You spend a LOT of time drawing boxes, and placing sizing fields and graphics.

Just stumbled upon this geek genius (and German college student) Britt Liv Michelson. I only heard of her today, but she is looking like the Dean Kamen of Germany. Here she is demonstrating an automated Nerf Sentry gun that she invented:

Last edited by MohandasKGanja; July 26th, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
    MentalNotes likes this.

Omg I so want one! I'm about to move back out from my parent's house, I think it would only be fair if they contacted this girl to see if she'd make me one. And she's another cute geek girl!

Omg I so want one! I'm about to move back out from my parent's house, I think it would only be fair if they contacted this girl to see if she'd make me one. And she's another cute geek girl!
    She is awesome and I think we are going to be hearing all kinds of things about her in the future. Check out this invention of hers, LOL.... The "OMG, you killed Kenny" doorstop:

Kari I don't watch Big Bang Theory so I'll have to take your word for it.

Mo I've never played Left For Dead but now I want an X-Box so I can try it! I started gaming with Unreal Tournament. I was deadly with a flack cannon but the time you really had to watch your arse was if I got myself the sniper rifle. HEAD SHOT! HEAD SHOT! M-M-MONSTER KILL!!! We played over LAN against a friend of my Roomie but the whiny pussy stopped joining us when I kept destroying him. All I'd ever hear was "I had bad ping! You were helping her! I've got to go now..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Kari I don't watch Big Bang Theory so I'll have to take your word for it.

Mo I've never played Left For Dead but now I want an X-Box so I can try it! I started gaming with Unreal Tournament. I was deadly with a flack cannon but the time you really had to watch your arse was if I got myself the sniper rifle. HEAD SHOT! HEAD SHOT! M-M-MONSTER KILL!!! We played over LAN against a friend of my Roomie but the whiny pussy stopped joining us when I kept destroying him. All I'd ever hear was "I had bad ping! You were helping her! I've got to go now..."
    KittyLady, you can actually buy the PC version of "Left 4 Dead" for about $20. It's just as good as the Xbox version. I'm really not a video game person, but I love that game so much it's embarrassing, because it is a real escapist type of environment, and very cathartic after a stressful day. It takes literally 10 minutes to learn to play, and then it's off to the races. All you are doing, basically, is running across towns from one safe room to the next until you get rescued in a finale. On the PC, Left 4 Dead has a huge developer community that creates new campaigns for the game. You can create entire cities for other people to try out and run through. You can even modify the "special infected" monsters. One guy has a video on YouTube where he and his friends are getting attacked by Hitler, Slender Man, and the Stay Puft Man.

Weapons include a sniper rifle (which works GREAT), an AK-47, pistol, shotgun (several kinds), and an M-60 (which is truly awe-inspiring).
    Kittylady likes this.

Ooh Kitty you NEED an Xbox, they're super fun and you can watch the telly on them! Mo dont forget the frying pan weapon, the weapon of champions. I'm more of a strategy person (boring, I know), I love military strategy. My fave Xbox game is Civilization Revolution, it's the only game i've ever gotten max achievement points for. Also, anything Asian with oversized swords, elves with bows and arrows, or any of the Fables. I've never played World of Warcraft or Dungeons and Dragons, but only because I'm afraid they would steal my life and I'd want to paint myself green and get those plastic ear pointing things. Cosplay is awesome but I have to hold down a real job.
    MohandasKGanja and Kittylady like this.

I've never played World of Warcraft or Dungeons and Dragons, but only because I'm afraid they would steal my life and I'd want to paint myself green and get those plastic ear pointing things. Cosplay is awesome but I have to hold down a real job.
    I totally get that. Left4Dead doesn't really have the kind of long-term play or goals that the other games have, so it's easy to get in and out and be done with it. Right now, I'm stuck every night doing online training to keep a certification, so the last thing I need is a game that would pull me away for hours.

Speaking of cosplay, when I met joined my wife down at a conference at Disney in 2011, there was another conference going on there for people who were into GI Joe/Action figure stuff. As a result, you had various women walking through the lobby in full cosplay regalia - outfits, caps, helmets, guns, boots etc. It was pretty cool to see people passionate about something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information