Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Karistiona

Thread: Microsoft's Xbox Illumiroom demo

Default Microsoft's Xbox Illumiroom demo

Supposedly, it's just research for now. But if you are looking for a more immersive video-game environment, the use of projector imagery to augment and enlarge your playing area (extend field setting) seems pretty cool.

Very fancy pants. It looks like we're getting closer and closer to hologram type things. Next we'll be getting the doctor from Star Trek Voyager from a PS3.

I know I sound a bit 'get off my lawn' but when I turn on my xbox I just want to kill dragons with a big sword, I don't want the dragons to be all over my walls, or to have to jump about the room waving my arms around. I want to sit in my jammies, eat rubbish, and kill dragons by mashing the buttons.

I think this may be the geekiest post I've ever made.
    SuriCruise likes this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Very fancy pants. It looks like we're getting closer and closer to hologram type things. Next we'll be getting the doctor from Star Trek Voyager from a PS3.

I know I sound a bit 'get off my lawn' but when I turn on my xbox I just want to kill dragons with a big sword, I don't want the dragons to be all over my walls, or to have to jump about the room waving my arms around. I want to sit in my jammies, eat rubbish, and kill dragons by mashing the buttons.

I think this may be the geekiest post I've ever made.
    I just really like the idea of having a viewpoint that dramatically expands your perspective during a game. When I play Left 4 Dead, I am always getting whacked from behind by a zombie, or backing into crap that I can't see. To be able to have something like a first-person 270-degree perspective would be awesome for those types of games.

That's true, although a good surround sound system will really help with that if you don't already use one. These games are set up to let you hear things creeping up on you so it's quite good to have speakers around you.

I suppose this could be quite interesting if you had your TV set up against a blank white wall, it could be really effective against that.

I suppose this could be quite interesting if you had your TV set up against a blank white wall, it could be really effective against that.
    That's a good point. I just realized this would not work well, at all, where we currently have our Xbox set up (family room). The TV set has nothing behind it because the kitchen is right behind the family room. Almost like a really large pass-through. I think it would work really well in the rec room, though.

That's kind of annoying though, having to really scrutinise where you're putting your console! That's what's annoying about Kinnect, I love some of the games but you need a big room if you want to play with others. My friends and I have had some drunken accidents elbowing each other in the face and whatnot because you're squished in like sardines.

That's kind of annoying though, having to really scrutinise where you're putting your console! That's what's annoying about Kinnect, I love some of the games but you need a big room if you want to play with others. My friends and I have had some drunken accidents elbowing each other in the face and whatnot because you're squished in like sardines.
    Absolutely. We've had trouble with the Kinect, too. Not as much with situations where people are side by side, but where people might be behind each other or diagonal to each other. The room that it's in just isn't deep enough, unfortunately.

Mmhmm, it's fantastic if you've got plenty of room, but in a normal house it's just not great. Especially if you've got excited kids or drunken 20-somethings. I kind of liked the PS3's controller, i can't think what you call it but basically you could control things in-game depending on the balance of your controller. Like if your character is flying you control the height and direction by tilting the controller. I had Ratchet and Clank (stop laughing) and they used it a lot.

Thread Information