Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By Kittylady
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja

Thread: Technology - 1993 vs 2013

Default Technology - 1993 vs 2013

I think this is pretty amazing. And quite frankly, the smart phone (and it could just as easily be a Samsung or LG product) doesn't just combine the features of the devices below into a tiny package. It does a better job than ANY of these devices at what they did individually. Better photo resolution than the camera. Better video resolution than the camcorder. Better WYSYWIG, storage, battery power, and multiprocessing than the PowerBook. More caller information and better talk quality than the cell phone. And on and one.

1993 Vs. 2013

1993 Vs. 2013

Side by side photos will remind you just how awesome our technology has gotten in only 20 years.

1993: Apple Newton MessagePad, 100, JVC Video Camcorder, Apple PowerBook 160, Motorola DynaTAC cell phone, Polaroid OneStep, Sony Sports Walkmancassette player, pager and a digital watch.
    2013: iPhone

It is pretty amazing! It makes you wonder what else they'll come up with in the future.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

God knows how old it is but amongst the random crap that the Bloke has in the spare room that is apparently too precious to throw away is a portable VCR with a small built in flip up screen so you could watch tapes in the car. It weighs more than a modern laptop does.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I know, we were just yesterday looking at Nokia's wiki page and they had their progression of cell phones throughout the years. It was like a diminishing bar graph made out of phones getting smaller and smaller through the years.

It's always funny to see hilariously oversized brick phones from the 80's.

I'm still amazed that you can get thousands of high quality, high resolution, photos on one card!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Fuk me sideways and call me Sally, I still can't be it's been 20 years since '93!
    And, everything is now reduced to a hand held device.

I still can't get over how video games have progressed so I am brain fucked on all the other stuff!

Ok Bloke is sat here with me (and giving me a lecture on what each Olde Worlde gadget is without reading the text) and he says the video thing he has is a semi-pro hitachi laptop AV, multistandard VHS video machine with flip up LCD screen. And now he's telling me all about the Apple 2E (complete with original floppy drive) that he still has. And now I wish I'd never shown him this thread.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Ok Bloke is sat here with me (and giving me a lecture on what each Olde Worlde gadget is without reading the text) and he says the video thing he has is a semi-pro hitachi laptop AV, multistandard VHS video machine with flip up LCD screen. And now he's telling me all about the Apple 2E (complete with original floppy drive) that he still has. And now I wish I'd never shown him this thread.
    Hey, Kittylady, send Bloke here to me so we can have a beer together. I still fondly remember my Apple 2E. I was a 17-year-old freshman engineering student and you had to fight to get on one of the UNIVAC minicomputers at the University to do your FORTRAN homework. And one of the keys on the keyboard was invariably broken, making programming a nightmare. I was still living at home, though, and my parents bought a 2E and I could dial in from home on our 300-baud modem and do my FORTRAN whenever the hell I wanted. And play Santa Paravia and Fiumachio. And Loderunner! Good times!

I'm going to cry now... He says was the modem an acoustic coupler (he still has one of those) and he remembers FORTRAN and COBOL on a DEC PDP11. He also learned to programme in assembler on a PCXT and he's going to get his Apple 2 running and take a video clip of it working for me to post.

*Flees thread in hysterics*

I'm going to cry now... He says was the modem an acoustic coupler (he still has one of those) and he remembers FORTRAN and COBOL on a DEC PDP11. He also learned to programme in assembler on a PCXT and he's going to get his Apple 2 running and take a video clip of it working for me to post.

*Flees thread in hysterics*
    I remember programming in Assembler, and now I feel like crying. Assembler code reads like the guest list at R2D2's wedding.....

I'm glad you two know what the hell you are talking about because I'm confused lol. He mentioned a whole load of other languages that he knows, things that he's used etc but i couldn't follow so I'll have to get him another time when he doesn't have a mouth full of toothpaste and is on his way to bed. He got quite chirpy talking about it. This stuff is actually exciting to you guys?

I'm glad you two know what the hell you are talking about because I'm confused lol. He mentioned a whole load of other languages that he knows, things that he's used etc but i couldn't follow so I'll have to get him another time when he doesn't have a mouth full of toothpaste and is on his way to bed. He got quite chirpy talking about it. This stuff is actually exciting to you guys?
    Oh, yeah, definitely. I come from a long line of programmers. My mom's father was a mathematician. My mom was a mathematician and software engineer for Boeing and Air Civil Defense. Even though she passed away in 2011, one of the things that I have been keeping around are her printed programs. They are in languages like FORTRAN, COBOL, Simscript, and Assembler. I want my kids to be able to appreciate these nerd heirlooms, LOL.

The only programming I do these days is in Visual Basic, which is a stop-gap way of making things like Microsoft Office or AutoCAD either work correctly, or less repetitively.
    Kittylady and OrangeSlice like this.

Thread Information