Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: That big-ass 70-inch 1080P TV of yours (and its blu-ray movies)? Already obsolete!

Default That big-ass 70-inch 1080P TV of yours (and its blu-ray movies)? Already obsolete!

I didn't realize the "4K" TVs were coming out so soon, but they are being introduced at CES. They have double the resolution (horizontally and vertically) of 1080P TVs. A 1080P TV has 1,920 lines of horizontal resolution, and 1,080 lines of vertical resolution

A 4K TV has 3,840 lines of horizontal resolution and 2,160 lines of vertical resolution. Rounding up to "4K" from 3,840 gives you a catchier name. A number of TVs were being presented, but it looks like no pricing available yet. And you will need a new DVD player and DVDs to take advantage of it. And it least four times the video feed to watch a streaming 4K movie. Ironically, 4K DSLR cameras are already being sold. I think that 4K is also what most digital filmmakers shoot their movies in these days.

Vizio’s XVT Hands On: A Gorgeous 4K TV You Might Actually Be Able to Afford

Sam Biddle

The most impressive thing anyone is going tosee at CES 2013 is a big, beautiful TV. Unfortunately, most of these are only being made for the 1%, for now. But Vizio's might be the first ultra-HD within reach. Kinda.
    We checked out the monster 70-inch Vizio XVT (also available in modest 65 and 55 versions), and the quality is astounding—and on par with everything 4k we've seen from Vizio's pricier competitors. Simply, I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference between a 70-inch Vizio and a 70-inch [Expensive LCD Brand] side by side. And since Vizio consistently undercuts its rivals by pretty large margins, the XVT series is likely the first 4k (or Ultra HD, as it's now being called) set that might be attainable. It's still going to be very expensive—let's keep that in mind—but it'll be the difference between very expensive and insanely expensive. Sadly, Vizio isn't talking about pricing or availability, but it's a solid assumption.

But what'll very expensive get you? A damn incredible picture, with resolution so sharp that it provides a depth illusion that's more enjoyable than most 3D displays. I watched a Dreamworks video loop that'd been compressed down from hundreds of gigabytes to around 60, and there was no noticeable artifacting. And even with my nose jammed up against the glass, pixels were discernable only with a squint. That's the allure of 4k, right? Pixels vanish.

But what about content? Vizio says it's still working on a solution for bringing native 4k resolution TV and movies to customers who shell out for these giant things—perhaps something along the lines of Sony's media server. But the company realizes it's not going to sell a lot of these things if people can't watch anything that takes advantage of 4k. Which is true. That said, upscaling will still be an option for the Blu-rays and hi-def cable you've got already.
    This will be the next big jump in television. And it's reassuring to see that, even if it takes a couple of years, Vizio will have a "budget" set that goes toe to toe with anything else.

At what point does increasing the definition become redundant?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Well luckily for me I only splurged on a medium-ass 42 inch plasma that I got a great deal on and will happily continue watching inferior full HD for the next few years until they perfect this 4k technology and a new TV will cost a quarter of what the suckers who want everything new NOW! will pay.
    Kat Scorp, HWBL, nancydrew and 2 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    At what point does increasing the definition become redundant?
    For me it was when I became more familiar with every actor's pores and skin imperfections than their dermatologist
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

What I find interesting is that, as far as I can tell, most movie theaters you go to these days are showing 4K movies, and those are on screens that are 70 feet wide by 30 feet high. So, there is already a LOT less resolution per square inch on a 4K movie screen than on a 1080P TV set. Admittedly, you are sitting a lot closer to a 1080P tv set than a movie screen. Did you ever leave a movie theater thinking that the image could have been a little more detailed?

Seriously. Isn't there a point at which the human eye can't even tell the difference?

A*O

This topic is pure Bloke.
    I'mNotBitter and greysfang like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    Seriously. Isn't there a point at which the human eye can't even tell the difference?
    There are best practices in the AV industry based on what people can perceive on a screen. Not just resolution, but frame rate, contrast ratio, and other factors. I think the articles on 4K say that these are basically retinal TVs - that this the point at which you can barely ascertain individual pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    This topic is pure Bloke.
    The advantage for you is that 1080P TV's will be hugely discounted in about 6 months to a year.

Yay! I'm in need of a new tv and I'm not picky about resolution. Sounds like a plan to me. I can't see any need for anything fancier or higher tech than that. Now get off my lawn! *waves walker around* Hell, I don't even have cable anymore. The only thing I watch on cable is AHS and I go to my parents for that.

The other thing that I didn't think of is that people think that new versions of both the Xbox and the PlayStation will come out by the 2013 Holiday season. Having 4K graphics generation ability would go right in tandem with having a new 4K TV set.

Then, the other issue concerns the HDMI interface that all high-res tv and components use. Apparently, the high-speed version of the HDMI cable supports 4K, so I guess you could sort of slowly transition to 4K. Like hook your 4K TV to your Xbox 360 through the HDMI cable. Or hook your Xbox 720 console to your 1080P TV through your existing HDMI cable.

I am currently considering a Vizio 55" HDTV as my next boobtube purchase - CostCo has them.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

We just got a Vizio 60 inch Smart TV (built in WiFi and access to Netflix, Facebook, Hulu, etc.), and we love it.
    Brookie and I'mNotBitter like this.

... I haven't even gotten around to using that "blu-ray" thing yet.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

My mom and dad have a smart tv and one of the Sony boxes that converts a tv into a smart tv and they ARE awesome. That's something that I might actually give into.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    We just got a Vizio 60 inch Smart TV (built in WiFi and access to Netflix, Facebook, Hulu, etc.), and we love it.
    OMG, did you get that TV as a Black Friday purchase, because we bought that same TV on our Black Friday spending spree? It's the best TV ever. Best money I ever spent.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information