Thread: PVR, what is it?

Default PVR, what is it?

My boys want to get a PVR to record their video game and put it on youtube. I have no idea what this is. I've been looking on amazon, but concerned about getting a decent one for the price. They are spending their Christmas money on it, so I don't make to make a huge commitment, but I want something that's not going to rip them off.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    My boys want to get a PVR to record their video game and put it on youtube. I have no idea what this is. I've been looking on amazon, but concerned about getting a decent one for the price. They are spending their Christmas money on it, so I don't make to make a huge commitment, but I want something that's not going to rip them off.
    I've seen these advertised off and on, but wouldn't be able to tell who makes a good one for a low amount of money. It looks like there is a very wide variety of features available. Some PVR videos on YouTube are clearly using very high quality PVR output and might be more expensive, but do kids really need it? Below are some CNET prices and reviews for units that cost less than $200:

Digital Video Recorders (DVRs) - CNET Reviews

Not a DVR, but a PVR, which apparantly is different. I found one somewhat reasonably priced on amazon, but it had mixed reviews, so I don't know if I should pull the trigger. Or , if I should spend a little more for a better one. Damn kids and technology.

Amazon.com: Game Capture: Software
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

A very cheap but popular brand of beer?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

LOL, I said that too. "Aren't you a little young for PBR?" They said, "what's PBR?" We are sooooo not speaking the same language.

FRAPS does the same thing and prolly cheaper, takes screenshots and video while playing. I use it for WoW.

FRAPS show fps, record video game movies, screen capture software

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Not a DVR, but a PVR, which apparantly is different. I found one somewhat reasonably priced on amazon, but it had mixed reviews, so I don't know if I should pull the trigger. Or , if I should spend a little more for a better one. Damn kids and technology.

Amazon.com: Game Capture: Software
    Depending on configuration, they are the same thing. The Roxio is cheap because it doesn't have it's own hard drive, and instead relays information to your PC's hard drive. In my opinion, the Roxio device, is basically a glorified video capture card, but it does have its own software and offers you the ability to mix input information.

If your PC already had a capture card, however, you could just basically attach your Xbox component AV cable to your PC, feed the AV stream into Windows MovieMaker, and then edit and capture the content. No PVR necessary.

Thread Information