Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Bizarre phone call about my PC

Default Bizarre phone call about my PC

Ok, I am not a computer gal, so I think I need some advice from people who are. I just got off the phone w/a man that said my PC was trying to log into their computers.......I think. I could not understand even 3 things this guy was saying so I think that was what he meant. I think the company started a/U, but the # he was calling from was unlisted. And he wanted to log on my PC for inspection or something (again huge language barrier). I told him no and he got very agitated and was saying OOOOOOOHHHH....and then said Nooooo! I hung up on him yelling no.

Ok, this was a scam right? My laptop has been a piece of shit today (I am posting from my phone now), I mean, I've never heard of this crap before.

Anyone??? Please??

It sounds strange to me. I don't think your computer can do something like that without you making it do that. I don't know. My computer guys is out to lunch or else I would ask him.

Ok I asked my son he said never let anyone try to log in to your computer, they can do all kinds of bad things.

Did he sound Indian? There is a big phone scam where they phone and tell you your computer has a virus and you need to follow certain steps to fix it. This sounds like a different version of that to me.
    McJag, whitetigeress and Brando like this.

Yes it's a scam. Don't let someone you don't know have access to your computer. Accent doesn't matter. Scammers come from all over.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

1. At first, it sounded like your PC was being used as a zombie in a denial-of-service attack.

2. However, the fact that the guy wanted to log onto your PC makes me think that it was a scam. And the fact that you couldn't understand the guy makes it sound like he was calling from Nigeria.

3. If your PC is really slow, though, it could be compromised with spyware. That kind of malware usually slows a PC way down. You could get a copy of Lavasoft Adaware for free and then run a scan on it.

Thank you everyone! It did sound like he was Indian, and he was super upset that I wouldn't allow him to take a look at my computer. Hence the screaming Noooooo when I hung up.

I would never let anyone just have access to it, but given the fact it has been such a dog, there was a teeny part of me that wondered if it was true. But I sure as hell wouldn't have done anything about it w/someone I don't know.

Just weirded me out. So thanks all!

Rules to live by: Trust your gut. Always err on the side of caution. Beware of people who call you who you didn't call first.
    LynnieD, McJag, Seth82 and 2 others like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Related to what Twitchy said, I usually tell them (basically any unsolicited caller) that I am busy and ask for their business name and phone so that I can call them right back. If they won't give it, you know they are bogus.

This is the one I'm talking about. I've had a few of these calls. With this particular scam they are pretty much always Indian, that's the only reason I asked about the accent.

Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India | Technology | The Guardian

Definately a scam. I've had a something similiar from a man who said he was "Microsoft" and that I had a problem with my computer that he needed some details to fix it for me. I hung up. I hate that I am suspicious of everyone. I don't trust any phone calls, telemarketers, charities, door to door sales... I'm a bitter old hag before my time. Being a grown up sucks.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

I would so fuk with that caller just for amusement's sake.

"What? you want to log into my computer?"
    "What's a computer? Is this big squarey thingy?"
    "Oh nevermind, that's my microwave"
    "Do you need me to nuke you anything?"
    McJag and Brando like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    Definately a scam. I've had a something similiar from a man who said he was "Microsoft" and that I had a problem with my computer that he needed some details to fix it for me.
    I've had the same thing, with an Indian guy saying he's from Microsoft and that he needs to urgently fix a problem with my computer. I said "that's interesting, seeing as I don't have a single Microsoft product in my home". He hung up.
    Sleuth likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

[YOUTUBE]WWaLxFIVX1s[/YOUTUBE]
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I never had the pc call, but I did get several calls from a company claiming they were a collection agency trying to collect an old debt of mine. They insisted I give them a credit card number over the phone NOW!

They were so vague about what debt I owed, to whom and for how much. I asked for it in writing which of course they refused. I lol'd hard at them for thinking I'd give over my credit card number for some "debt" from "the nineties" for some unnamed company. Bitch please.

A*O

Problem is, there's a LOT of gullibles out there who will give out info just because these scammers ask for it. ALWAYS assume its a scam. Always.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information