Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KrisNine

Thread: Headphone Jack in iPhone not working

Default Headphone Jack in iPhone not working

I've put up with my 2nd-generation iPhone much longer than I needed to because I've been holding out for the iPhone 5, but I guess I better replace it because the headphone jack seems to have burned out. The speaker still works, but we know how crappy the speaker is on an iPhone.

I tried cleaning it out with rubbing alcohol and a cut Q-Tip, but the first time I did it, I made the mistake of using antibacterial gel, which is mostly made with water. Whoops. I did get a lot of gunk out, but it seems to have exacerbated the issue. At first, there was random stopping, but now the jack doesn't work at all.

I'm eligible for an upgrade, so I really don't see the point in trying to keep this particular phone, but I did want to know if anyone else has ever had this problem. It shouldn't cost much for me to upgrade this particular phone, because I'm only going up to the next generation if possible. Only problem is that I'll have to upgrade the phone and iTunes system on a different computer than the one I had. I already saved my music and files on a 3rd Party program, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I would try and take it to your carrier or even the Genius Bar ... depending on which Apple employee you get, sometimes they go well above and beyond to help out with older equipment. The next generation iPhone is supposed to be out in July or early August (that's the last i heard anyway). It's so close that, IMO, I would try and hold off until then just to see if there's something amazing with the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    I've put up with my 2nd-generation iPhone much longer than I needed to because I've been holding out for the iPhone 5, but I guess I better replace it because the headphone jack seems to have burned out. The speaker still works, but we know how crappy the speaker is on an iPhone.

I tried cleaning it out with rubbing alcohol and a cut Q-Tip, but the first time I did it, I made the mistake of using antibacterial gel, which is mostly made with water. Whoops. I did get a lot of gunk out, but it seems to have exacerbated the issue. At first, there was random stopping, but now the jack doesn't work at all.

I'm eligible for an upgrade, so I really don't see the point in trying to keep this particular phone, but I did want to know if anyone else has ever had this problem. It shouldn't cost much for me to upgrade this particular phone, because I'm only going up to the next generation if possible. Only problem is that I'll have to upgrade the phone and iTunes system on a different computer than the one I had. I already saved my music and files on a 3rd Party program, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
    My SO had his iPhone in his shirt pocket when it started to rain. It was as if a single drop of rain fell into the hole on the top of the phone. If you plugged in the earbuds, nothing. I broke a q-tip in half and stuck the stick part, not the cotton part, in the headphone jack. Then I put a blow dryer on a low temp, low speed and dried the jack. It worked. Headphones were fine after that.

I learned that from Mac Forums.
    hustle4alivin likes this.

^^^ LOL, now that's genius!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    My SO had his iPhone in his shirt pocket when it started to rain. It was as if a single drop of rain fell into the hole on the top of the phone. If you plugged in the earbuds, nothing. I broke a q-tip in half and stuck the stick part, not the cotton part, in the headphone jack. Then I put a blow dryer on a low temp, low speed and dried the jack. It worked. Headphones were fine after that.

I learned that from Mac Forums.
    I'll try to find something to dry it out. I cut off the end of a q-tip to put the alcohol in there. It may be too late, because this started happening Friday, but it won't hurt to try. I do have some compressed air I could use.

@Nevan: When I went to the genius bar, one of the the employees tried it out and said that I'd be better off replacing the phone I may get a second opinion.

^^^ Yeah, the Genius Bar is definitely hit or miss.

If you're not that much into having the latest and greatest, you should definitely be able to find a good upgrade with the previous generation. This one (my iPhone 4S) is my very first iPhone (long story, but I wouldn't leave Verizon and then wanted to wait for the 5 and it never came), so I have no idea what I was missing. I would definitely give your tech desk at your carrier (I'm assuming AT&T has one like Verizon does) and a different Genius Bar another shot if you would like to extend your current phone. It all depends on who you get helping you.

Do you use your headphone jack that often? I don't think I've ever used mine since I got it last July ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    ^^^ Yeah, the Genius Bar is definitely hit or miss.

If you're not that much into having the latest and greatest, you should definitely be able to find a good upgrade with the previous generation. This one (my iPhone 4S) is my very first iPhone (long story, but I wouldn't leave Verizon and then wanted to wait for the 5 and it never came), so I have no idea what I was missing. I would definitely give your tech desk at your carrier (I'm assuming AT&T has one like Verizon does) and a different Genius Bar another shot if you would like to extend your current phone. It all depends on who you get helping you.

Do you use your headphone jack that often? I don't think I've ever used mine since I got it last July ...
    All the time because I would listen to internet radio stations, youtube videos, etc.

Ahhh, got ya. I have music on my phone but I either use it in a docking speaker or use my iPod with earbuds (plugged into a looong charging cord) at night.

I had same problem. Never got water in it as far as I know. I did everything suggested on the Mac forums- q-tips, blow dryers, etc. I took it to the apple store and they said it sometimes just happens and mine had no water damage. There was no way to fix it, but they swapped it out since I was under my 1 year warranty (had it 11 months). Maybe you can find a cheap used phone to use until the iPhone 5 comes out?

Oh and now I have a case that has rubber stoppers on all the openings to protect it.

Update: I wound up buying a newer iPhone. Not the 4G, but the 3GS because it was 99 cents. So, all's well that ends well for now. The upgrading on iTunes (which cannot be done on my original computer since it was stolen last year) will be a bitch to do.

Thread Information