Thread: Revolutionary wheelchair alternative for paraplegics

Default Revolutionary wheelchair alternative for paraplegics

I thought this was kind of inspiring. It (invented in Turkey) lets paraplegics move around from either a standing or sitting position. And getting into a standing position is apparently critical for the long-term health of paraplegics (circulation, etc.). Also, it lets people who have lost the use of their legs actually interact with other people at eye level. And they can get into and out of beds and bathrooms with less assistance.

The only thing I couldn't figure out is why it doesn't tip over. Not sure if it has gyroscopes at the bottom to stabilize it, like a Segway.

[YOUTUBE]_gb5poTdUMg[/YOUTUBE]

fgg

that's amazing. kind of like the doctor on private practice a few years ago.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Amazing, truly. They are probably not even close to being cost effective at this point but that seems like a fantastic idea for cutting down on pressure ulcers.

Elite Member

Yes, expensive at this point but the devise looks simple enough to mass produce (unlike those pneumatic pedestal wheelchairs that raise and lower the seat.) This is when I get so excited about technology. That devise could revolutionize so many people's lives.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Are you able to find any pricing information on this? I've been searching, but nada.

ETA: Nevermind, its $15k, but I think it would be worth it just to cut down on the medical problems sitting down all day brings.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Are you able to find any pricing information on this? I've been searching, but nada.

ETA: Nevermind, its $15k, but I think it would be worth it just to cut down on the medical problems sitting down all day brings.
    I think the only reason it costs this much is because it isn't being mass produced yet, and hasn't been able to realize the benefits of high-volume production. The Turkish company would probably need to allow other companies to pay some kind of license fee to produce it so that it could be made more widely available.

I don't even think $15k is that high. (Well, of course it is to those who are living on Medicare, etc.) My main concern would be maintenance and repair if someone in the US were to buy one. Would they be left out in the cold after spending as much as they would for a starter car? I mean, not anyone and everyone could tinker with robotics, especially not on a medical device that HAS to be running right at all times or someone could get hurt.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I don't even think $15k is that high. (Well, of course it is to those who are living on Medicare, etc.) My main concern would be maintenance and repair if someone in the US were to buy one. Would they be left out in the cold after spending as much as they would for a starter car? I mean, not anyone and everyone could tinker with robotics, especially not on a medical device that HAS to be running right at all times or someone could get hurt.
    It looks like that if it is covered under Medicare, there has to be a schedule of repair costs that accompany the price of the wheelchair. So, anybody who wants to offer this in the U.S. would need to have the resources to repair them, too. By the way, it looks like Medicare will cover up to about $11K for what is called a "Complex rehabilitation power wheelchair". So, maybe someone who really wanted this would only have to make up the difference?

Here is the report that I found for this: http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-04-07-00400.pdf

Also, I thought this was interesting:

• Medicare allowed an average of $4,018 for standard power wheelchairs that cost suppliers an average of $1,048 in the first half of 2007.
    • Medicare allowed an average of $11,507 for complex rehabilitation power wheelchair packages that cost suppliers an average of $5,880 in the first half of 2007.

Thread Information