Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kinect - I love it

Default Kinect - I love it

I bought my kids the Xbox 360 with Kinect a week or so before Christmas. Then, I started reading about how much space I would need. I was a little freaked out because there were a slew of stories online from people who either heard it wouldn't work in anything but a large room, or had actual trouble with it in their existing rooms. I was starting to think the thing would backfire, and I even ran out and bought a special adapter that is supposed to allow you to stand closer.

When I actually installed it, though, it worked great. My kids and I have been playing Kinect Adventures, Fruit Ninja, Just Dance 3, and the thing has been awesome. You do have to get the hang of 1) letting it calibrate, 2) staying in position when you are playing a two-player game, 3) using the menus, and 4) learning how to pause the game. But it has been pretty much everything I hoped it would be. And in 1080p - WOW.

Now, I just need to figure out what other games I should be getting.

we have kinect and love it. Hole in the Wall (after the tv show) is fun, we got that for Christmas. Also Dance Central 2, also a blast!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Wall o'text should be outlawed. Paragraphs are everyone's friend.

we have one too. my favorite is bowling and golf. FUN! i also use fitness evolved for work outs. love my kinect!

we have both kinect sports 1 and 2.
    a few adventure games
    fitness evolved
    brunswick bowling (IMO, i like bowling on sports 1 much better than this disk)
    Last edited by superstacks; December 28th, 2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: to add games

Quote Originally Posted by superstacks View Post
    we have one too. my favorite is bowling and golf. FUN! i also use fitness evolved for work outs. love my kinect!

we have both kinect sports 1 and 2.
    a few adventure games
    fitness evolved
    brunswick bowling (IMO, i like bowling on sports 1 much better than this disk)
    Does Fitness Evolved track your leg movement?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Does Fitness Evolved track your leg movement?

it tracks your whole body really. if your not moving exactly with your "trainer" on screen.... it turns a different color and lets you know u need to get back in rhythm. it depends on what exercises your doing. i do a lot of the boxing routines and that is a lot of leg movement. others are upper body - no leg tracking. there are ones just for your butt... upper body, and so on. you fill out info about yourself and what you want to accomplish before you start. i've even went back and redone this - to get different excercises. it tracks calories burned, etc.... i love it! i get up every morning and do at least 30 minutes. it also has yoga on it, which has been great for me and balance. i have the first disk... i think they have a fitness evolved 2 out now...

??? anyone tried the zumba? i want to get that!

We've had it about a year or so now and love it. Our whimpy little Wii hasn't been used since we got Kinect. Our family (extended families really) have had intense Fruit Ninja competitions at our house. LOL My 6 year old daughter is obsessed with football and has played 15 games against the computer today alone.

Mohandas, the Biggest Loser has a Kinect fitness program. It's pretty good. It's not going to mimic your most intense workouts in the gym but it's good to shake things up and do something different. It was worth the money to me.

My kids got Kinect Adventures for Christmas. Mohandas, it's a great workout believe it or not. Tons of pushing, pulling, hopping, jumping etc. Plus it's hilarious. My daughter and I both crashed on the couch after five games and it took awhile to catch our breath and go back for more. Super fun.

I might have to amend my previous statement about the Biggest Loser too. I haven't done it in some time but put it on last night when I couldn't get to the gym. It was a great workout...very sore today.

My co-workers grand daughter, who is 29, broke her foot playing this over the Christmas holidays. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    We've had it about a year or so now and love it. Our whimpy little Wii hasn't been used since we got Kinect. Our family (extended families really) have had intense Fruit Ninja competitions at our house. LOL My 6 year old daughter is obsessed with football and has played 15 games against the computer today alone.

Mohandas, the Biggest Loser has a Kinect fitness program. It's pretty good. It's not going to mimic your most intense workouts in the gym but it's good to shake things up and do something different. It was worth the money to me.
    Thanks for the advice.

Yesterday, I got my wife "Fitness Evolved: 2012" - because she isn't wild about the idea of going to the gym at 5:30 am when it's 18 degrees outside.

We tried some of the preliminary exercises last night. I was blown away by the ability to take a live shot of you and superimpose it onto a screen with a bunch of computer objects. My kids actually loved punching the blocks (one of the arm routines), and then the routine where you balance a bunch of them on one leg and then tilt them into bins for points. This morning, my son (who's 7) did the intermediate level jump rope - from his description, it's pretty wild.

My wife and I got up early to do the boot camp routines. We did about 15 minutes each (and despite both of us being pretty athletic and fit), and it kicked our butts. There is a "trainer" avatar, working out alongside you, yelling at you and encouraging you. We both thought it was VERY similar to an actual boot camp class - except you are in a more confined space.

The program tracks your calories and creates programs for you based on your weight and goals (leaner, more muscular, lose weight, etc.).

I also downloaded Gunstringer, which came free with the Kinect. Awesome game for Kinect. Because the central character is a puppet, you use your left hand to move him around, and your right hand to shoot bad guys. VERY inventive and humorous game.

The dance games are terrific exercise. I haven't tried the boxing game but I bet it is one heck of a workout.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Mohandas, I asked my husband for Fitness Evolved for Valentine's Day. Thanks for the rec.

I've been doing a ton of the River Canyon runs on Kinect Adventures. There's one called the Olympian that is about 4-5 minutes long with tons of squats and jumps. By the time I'm on my 10th one, I'm really worn out.

Mohandas, I asked my husband for Fitness Evolved for Valentine's Day. Thanks for the rec.

I've been doing a ton of the River Canyon runs on Kinect Adventures. There's one called the Olympian that is about 4-5 minutes long with tons of squats and jumps. By the time I'm on my 10th one, I'm really worn out.
    Hey, I wanted to mention a new game that I think is amazing. It's "Raving Rabbids, Alive and Kicking". At first, I held off, because some of the reviews were lukewarm, and made it sound like there was a problem with Kinect responsiveness.

But I broke down and bought it anyway last weekend because my niece and nephew were coming over. The game totally rocks. There must be something like 50 different ingenious party games on there. The kids played it all weekend, and my kids were playing today for about a three-hour stretch. Some of the games:

Whack a Rabbid - Rabbids (which are basically annoying rabbits) pop out of holes and you have to jump forward backward and sideways to explode them. This was the only game we had trouble with, because you really need a larger room to make it work. But if you have the right room, it is pretty ingenious to watch.

There is an air guitar game that is effing fantastic. Once you hold up your hand to say whether you are right or left handed, you see an image of yourself on screen, with a CGI guitar in your hands. It moves with your hands. You have to catch different colors on the frets of your guitar and you also have to strum the guitar at the same time, to make sure you get the points. Awesome.

There is another game - "Inner Journey", I think. Where you are traveling backwards through the digestive tract of a rabbid. Depending on the number of players (up to 4) you need to tilt forward and side to side to navigate through the intestines, throat, etc. You end up exiting through the mouth.

There's another one called "Snot Funny", where a huge wad of CGI snot is hanging from your nose, and a rabbid is hanging from the snot. You need to spin your head in huge circles, faster and faster, and then shout to let go of the rabbid. The object is to go fast enough, and release the rabbid just in time to throw him the most distance.

I could go on and on. It is just an AWESOME set of games for kids and immature adults. Love it, and you get a workout doing it, too. Also, the game takes pictures of you doing all the crazy stuff (like Kinect Adventures), which is pretty amusing to review.

Wait, you have to move to get the snot to fling off of your nose? LOL Will look into it.

We got Fitness Evolved early. After a month or so of doing the River Canyon on Kinect Adventures, I needed something different. Haven't tried it yet because I've actually had time to get to the gym. Woo!

My husband got me Dance Party (or whatever version it is). It's ok. Fun, I guess.

Did Fitness Evolved for the first time tonight. At first I couldn't figure out how to get to the harder work outs. Once I did they kicked some butt. The moves are simple. It's nice to see what you're doing on the screen. Plus, I sweat a lot. It's a nice change of pace from the gym.

Did Fitness Evolved for the first time tonight. At first I couldn't figure out how to get to the harder work outs. Once I did they kicked some butt. The moves are simple. It's nice to see what you're doing on the screen. Plus, I sweat a lot. It's a nice change of pace from the gym.
    I had difficulty with even the first level of the boot camp workout. That was pretty tough. My wife was on level 2. I can't even imagine what level 3 and 4 are like.

I think what the programs have helped me realize is that despite being in pretty good shape, I am in kind of a rut with my routine. Basically, working on strength and running throughout the week. Fitness evolved helped me realize that my flexibility and ability to move laterally is not where it should be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information