Thread: Long story involving a Mac, a PC, and an iPod.

Default Long story involving a Mac, a PC, and an iPod.

I posted this on Yahoo! answers but got no responses, so I'm just going to past it here. Please help!

I used to own a Mac, and now I've just bought a PC. I downloaded iTunes, logged in, and it had all my information but my credit card. Once I reloaded that, it recognized me. Thing is, it doesn't have any of my music from my account. I figured that once I connected my iPod it might transfer all the music, but now it's saying it needs to restore my iPod since it's switching from a Mac to a PC. Most of the music on my iPod is not backed up, so I would lose half of my stuff. What can I do?

PS. Also, can someone please tell me how to make it so that the mouse doesn't automatically click on anything it's over.

Sorry, I thought this was going to be a joke where they all walked into a bar...

ETA: And why would you do this?

I used to own a Mac, and now I've just bought a PC
    I thought it was usually the other way round? I would never buy a PC after having a Mac for so many years.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Believe me, I know, I miss my Mac dearly. My mom needed a computer for home so she kept the Mac, and gave me a PC because it comes already loaded with Microsoft which I need for college. So far all this PC has caused me is annoyance.

how did you put your music on your ipod in the first place? that original music should be on the hard drive of your old computer, unless you deleted it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The music is on my old Mac, I don't know about hard drives or anything.

Can you copy the music from your old Mac onto a USB stick and transfer it to your PC? That way your music will already be there when you restore the iPod settings, then you can start from scratch and load up the songs from the PC.

Great idea, I can try that when I go home this weekend. Thanks!

ok but it's still on your old mac. that's the important thing. what you need to do is transfer the music from your old mac to the pc, restore the ipod, and then put all the music back on your pc.
    you can usually back up your entire itunes library so it restores songlists and labels and stuff like that but i've only ever done that from mac to mac, never mac to pc, so i don't know if you'll be able to do that.
    transfer the music from your mac to your pc via an external hard drive. open the finder on your mac, go to the 'music' folder and it's all in there. then copy it all to the external hard drive.

eta:
    justsaw faithanne's post. it depends on how much music you have. if it's a lot, it won't all fit on the usb stick, or you'll have to take it out in several 'batches', so if you have an external hard drive (or know someone who can lend you one) that'll be the easiest way to get it all out in one go.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Is an external hard drive a thing I can plug into my computer and put a floppy disk in (that's the best I can describe it, computers are not my thing)? If so, I have one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    eta:
    justsaw faithanne's post. it depends on how much music you have. if it's a lot, it won't all fit on the usb stick, or you'll have to take it out in several 'batches', so if you have an external hard drive (or know someone who can lend you one) that'll be the easiest way to get it all out in one go.
    I was going to suggest backing it up to an external hard drive but when I saw Brah's earlier post not knowing about drives I thought a USB stick would be more simple to explain. Same concept, a hard drive just has more space and like you say would transfer it in one go rather than 'batches'.

a floppy desk? seriously? what is this, 1996?

external hard drive:

Ha, yes I still have floppy disks, that's how out of touch I am with technology. I also have 3 USB sticks, but I don't have that much music so I hopefully I won't need them all. Thanks for your help!

Itunes has the cloud now. Click on purchased music and you will be able to download everything you ever purchased from itunes that is still for sale in the store. Pay $25 and it will push everything from the mac as well. Either that or just use the usb stick to carry over everything you have from somewhere other than itunes.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thread Information