Thread: Video Game seizure claims....huh?

Default Video Game seizure claims....huh?

Just saw one of those hack lawyers TV commercials for 'Video Game seizure claims!'...and he will defend you if you've ever had one and want to make a claim!
    Ok, so my questions are: Has anyone here ever had a seizure while playing video games and/or know of anyone???? Is this common?? AND: Why the f would you sue if you did????

I guess I am actually shocked by this one.....lord knows I shouldn't be.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: Video Game seizure claims....huh?

I used to be a major gamer. I played mostly online first person shooter games esp this once called Counter-Strike. It's still quite popular I think. Some ppl are so addicted there have been reports of video game exhaustion deaths in the world. The ones I know about, I think there were a couple of deaths in South Korea. Dudes were playing online for like 2 straight days without eating or having ANY bathroom breaks... There was another death in Thailand, same thing, played it for days without eating or going to the bathroom. I am yet to hear about any seizures though, I would think that if someone suffered a seizure from a video game, the person most likely had pre-existing epileptic condition. I don't think it is very common. I think the lawyer is just trying to cash in on a slightest chance.

ETA: Ppl who died from playing vid games also didn't sleep for days. All they did was play online. No sleep, no food, no pee/poo = death

I remember though that a Pokemon episode caused seizures in some kids, I think they just had some kinda photo sensitivity etc. I don't know, I just don't think it's all that easy to get a seizure. I had a friend who was epileptic and he had a seizure in front of me, man that was some scary shit, I thought he was gonna die...(cuz I had no idea what he was going thru, he never told us he was epileptic).
    Last edited by moomies; March 28th, 2006 at 06:05 PM.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

^Wow! I truly did not know this! Thank you for telling me! Had no idea!

I used to play some video games (back in the day) and they can certainly be addicting! I remember staying up until all hours playing 'Zelda'...god damm stupid princess! (Not proud of this by the way)

I was thinking the same thing Moomies--if there are seizures and/or medical conditions that arise allegedly from excessive video game playing, then SOME of it could possibly be underlying illnesses...and cannot be common. So why would an attorney be hawking THAT angle on TV?? It just seemed soooo odd to me....I mean, keep running w/the car accident stuff! But, maybe the Vioxx thing didn't turn out as well as they had hoped and need some more biz.

Thanks Moomies!

Quote Originally Posted by moomies
    I used to be a major gamer. I played mostly online first person shooter games esp this once called Counter-Strike. It's still quite popular I think. Some ppl are so addicted there have been reports of video game exhaustion deaths in the world. The ones I know about, I think there were a couple of deaths in South Korea. Dudes were playing online for like 2 straight days without eating or having ANY bathroom breaks... There was another death in Thailand, same thing, played it for days without eating or going to the bathroom. I am yet to hear about any seizures though, I would think that if someone suffered a seizure from a video game, the person most likely had pre-existing epileptic condition. I don't think it is very common. I think the lawyer is just trying to cash in on a slightest chance.
    My friends STILL play CS. It drives me nuts b/c they'll do it all night when we're hanging out. They don't ignore me, and I actually find it very amusing at times b/c they talk through the headsets and trash talk and everything, but they're still insane. I have a friend who actually made a bunch of money to put him through school by playing in CS tournaments.

The new big one for them is World of Warcraft though. That singlehandedly made one guy I know have to withdraw from the university entirely. He stopped going to classes so he missed assignments and exams, so he withdrew from all his classes figuring he'd register the next semester. He never did and within the first 2 months of having the game he had racked up 48 DAYS of gameplay.

SVZ

it's Celebrities > Miscellaneous, not Miscellaneous. Moved to random talk.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday
    My friends STILL play CS. It drives me nuts b/c they'll do it all night when we're hanging out. They don't ignore me, and I actually find it very amusing at times b/c they talk through the headsets and trash talk and everything, but they're still insane. I have a friend who actually made a bunch of money to put him through school by playing in CS tournaments.
    I sort of specialized in this area academically (sociology/anthropology of sports)...so I did quite a bit of research on it. You'd be surprised to find that it's literally a professional sport. They call it E-sports, ppl go play at tournaments and in leagues (I was in a league also!) and earn a lot of money. There are actually a few documentaries out there on this subject. One guy that is very well known in e-sports, calls himself Fatal1ty, he earned tens of thousands of dollars from playing Quake in tournaments, he bought his parents a house with his earnings etc, he's considered the world's best Quake player. This guy said in a documentary that he trains up to 13-14 hrs a day b4 a tournament to prepare himself.
    Cyber athletes also get sponsors and endorsements (usually by comp and electronics companies) just like regular athletes and they even have managers and coaches.
    E-sports is also big in South Korea, they broadcast game tournaments on national tv etc. They also recruit Euro (E-sports is quite big in Europe also) gamers to come live in Korea all expenses paid, like housing and schooling etc.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

SVZ

One of my friends dropped out of high school to play in C-S tournaments

A*O

You mean like this?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thread Information