Thread: Gadgets You Should Get Rid Of (or Not)

Default Gadgets You Should Get Rid Of (or Not)

Gadgets You Should Get Rid Of (or Not) - Yahoo! Finance

The common rap against technology is that it leads to an accumulation of devices. But the nature of technology is changing. Fewer products are doing more tasks ó all accomplished by countless lines of massless software code.

And so we no longer need to accumulate products. If anything, we can cut down. The question is, Which can be replaced and which are fine, or even preferable, to keep? It is plain as day that paper maps and Rolodexes have given way to their digital counterparts. But what else can you get rid of? Here is a list of common consumer technologies and products and a somewhat opinionated judgment on whether to keep or pitch it.

DESKTOP COMPUTER Lose it. You may have one now, but are you really going to replace that deskbound PC when it becomes out of date? Assuming you are not a hardcore gamer or a video editor, laptops have all the necessary computing power the average user needs. If you want to replicate that desktop experience, you can always connect your laptop to a larger display and keyboard.

HIGH-SPEED INTERNET AT HOME Keep it. With the advent of devices like the MiFi, which converts a 3G mobile signal into a Wi-Fi cloud for multiple devices to share, you might be thinking about giving your Internet service provider the boot and using your cellphone as your Internet connection, even when at home. That would work ó provided that you get a strong data signal where you live; that you never intend to stream video from Netflix, YouTube or Hulu; and that you have an unlimited data plan from your wireless provider. Given all these caveats, it probably makes more sense to stick with your I.S.P.

CABLE TV Depends. While you may and should hold on to a good broadband connection at home, it is debatable whether you need to pay for cable TV. Sports fans probably will want to keep it, as many leagues restrict online content, but casual viewers who mainly want some shows and movies to watch could get by with a good Internet connection and some low-cost subscriptions to services like Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video.

POINT-AND-SHOOT CAMERA Lose it. Yes, a dedicated camera will probably take a better picture than the small lens and image sensor of a smartphone, but it will not be that much better. And a point-and-shoot has limitations of its own. It is hard to share photos until you have transferred them to your computer, and there are no apps for cameras, as there are for smartphones, that allow you to quickly apply cool filters and treatments to the shots you took. Perhaps most important, a camera may or may not be close by when a photo-worthy moment arises, but itís very likely that your phone will.

CAMCORDER Lose it. Camcorders get squeezed at both ends of the video spectrum. On the low end, smartphones can capture video, and while it may not be Imax quality, many people do not care. At the high end, new digital S.L.R. cameras (like Canonís EOS Rebel T1i, which costs around $750 with a lens) can shoot full-HD video while taking advantage of all the interchangeable lenses that were created for still photography. That camcorder you have now is probably the last one you will own.

USB THUMB DRIVE Lose it. File sharing does not require hardware anymore. In almost any case you can think of, you can move files around digitally via the Internet. That could mean signing up for a service like Dropbox, which creates a private, shareable hard drive in the cloud, or by simply e-mailing yourself attachments and storing them in the drafts folder of Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. A USB drive is just something to misplace or break.

DIGITAL MUSIC PLAYER Lose it (probably). Do you have a smartphone? Then you have a music player. Why load yourself down with an extra gadget? Apple popularized the music player with its iPod, but when was the last time you saw that iconic white box with the dial on the front? Music is data, and many multifunction devices can handle it along with many other kinds of data (like video, e-mail and apps). The one exception may be if you enjoy music while exercising. In that case, a tiny player like the $49 iPod Shuffle might be a better accessory than a larger, heavier smartphone.

ALARM CLOCK Keep it. Smartphones can be terrific alarm clocks. They can ramp up the volume gradually, display weather information and awaken you to your favorite song. And when on the road, they are still light-years ahead of the incomprehensible alarm clocks in hotel rooms. But a recent daylight time glitch in iPhones that fouled up the clock could give some early risers pause. Furthermore, setting and resetting smartphone alarms may require a dive into one submenu too many; turning a little knob on the back of a clock and flipping a switch is still simplicity itself.

GPS UNIT Lose it. The least expensive GPS units cost around $80. But your smartphone can do the same thing, if not more, for half that price, or even free. Android smartphones already have Googleís turn-by-turn navigation app built in. And earlier this month, Google announced that the company would be including live and historical traffic data in route planning, so you hopefully get to where you are going faster.

If you have an iPhone, you have several options for GPS apps, including Navigonís MobileNavigator (which starts at $30) and ALKís CoPilot Live ($20). Renting a car? Decline the optional GPS; if you have a smartphone, you already have one with you.

BOOKS Keep them (with one exception). Yes, e-readers are amazing, and yes, they will probably become a more dominant reading platform over time, but consider this about a book: It has a terrific, high-resolution display. It is pretty durable; you could get it a little wet and all would not be lost. It has tremendous battery life. It is often inexpensive enough that, if you misplaced it, you would not be too upset. You can even borrow them free at sites called libraries.

But there is one area where printed matter is going to give way to digital content: cookbooks. Martha Stewart Makes Cookies a $5 app for the iPad, is the wave of the future. Every recipe has a photo of the dish (something far too expensive for many printed cookbooks).

Complicated procedures can be explained by an embedded video. When something needs to be timed, thereís a digital timer built right into the recipe. You can e-mail yourself the ingredients list to take to the grocery store. The app does what cookbooks cannot, providing a better version of everything that came before it.

Now all Martha has to do is make a decorative splashguard for a tablet and you will be all set.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post

POINT-AND-SHOOT CAMERA Lose it. Yes, a dedicated camera will probably take a better picture than the small lens and image sensor of a smartphone, but it will not be that much better. And a point-and-shoot has limitations of its own. It is hard to share photos until you have transferred them to your computer, and there are no apps for cameras, as there are for smartphones, that allow you to quickly apply cool filters and treatments to the shots you took. Perhaps most important, a camera may or may not be close by when a photo-worthy moment arises, but itís very likely that your phone will.
    this is the stupidest thing i've ever read. yes, some phones take great pictures - for phones. until they make a phone that has all the settings and controls you have on your average camera, and the resolution and picture quality, you are still better off keeping your point and shoot. you can't change the ISO or aperture on most camera phones or do all the things you can do with a camera - and that most people don't know they can do with their camera, but that's another story. there is just no comparing lens quality and optical zoom (digital zooms suck balls). and yes, some camera phones have a lot of megapixels but what they don't tell you is they have a lousy image sensor which makes all those megapixels basically useless.
    if you already know how to take pictures, you CAN take good pictures with a phone - when you don't have your camera with you it will do in a pinch. and yes, the filters and apps are great for gimmicky, fun shots. but it's no replacement for a real camera.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post

USB THUMB DRIVE Lose it. File sharing does not require hardware anymore. In almost any case you can think of, you can move files around digitally via the Internet. That could mean signing up for a service like Dropbox, which creates a private, shareable hard drive in the cloud, or by simply e-mailing yourself attachments and storing them in the drafts folder of Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. A USB drive is just something to misplace or break.
    yes, dropbox is great. i use it too. but i also still keep my trusty little flash drive in my purse and i end up using it quite often too. when i take photos to be printed (better than lugging a whole external hard drive with me), at work when i need to get something printed at meetings and i can just take it over to the person at conference services instead of sending it to them by email (never mind that not all conferences are wired for wifi), etc. also, transferring something to a flash drive is way quicker than transferring it to dropbox, especially if it's big. so yeah i wouldn't go proclaiming the death of the usb drive just yet.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

There will always be a place for real books in the world (and my heart) but eBooks are indispensible if you are travelling and can't lug around half a dozen paperbacks. It's extra weight I'd prefer to use for shoes.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I don't have a smartphone and I do not wish to have one. My ideal phone lets me phone people, send them text messages, stores phone numbers and has a calculator in it. That's it.

PC: I have a desktop as backup because laptops are still crappy and not designed at all for travel use. They are like discmans - great idea but not perfect for the task.
    Point-and-shoot: noone would be able to part me from my camera, especially not a mobile phone. And if I don't have it on me when there is a moment of perfection, instead of fretting over not being able to capture it in a pixel format I take it in and remember the moment while enjoying it, being part of it - not taking a bloody pic of it.
    GPS: what's wrong with maps and instincts?
    Mp3 player: I can use it only on special occasions (gym) so it's part of a ritual for me. Stays.
    Cookbooks: I get inspiration from a the pics rather than the description so I'd need the cookbooks too.
    USB stick: I always have one on me.
    E-books: only for research, for fun reading I prefer paperbacks.

GPS on smartphones suck. A good Tom Tom costs roughly 100 bucks and the difference is enormous.

I wonder if the person who wrote the article actually tested all of those gadgets, such as the camera on the iPhone.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    There will always be a place for real books in the world (and my heart) but eBooks are indispensible if you are travelling and can't lug around half a dozen paperbacks. It's extra weight I'd prefer to use for shoes.
    Your priorities are completely appropriate!

I have a nice point-and-shoot camera - it was expensive and it's not convenient, and it takes great photos. Photos from my Droid are fuzzy and semi-unidentifiable, at best. I'd hate to have to depend on remembering a great vacation with smart phone photos.

Droid also has a good GPS unit, which I use. It also has a voice locator feature, where I can ask for the nearest Starbucks for instance and it calls up the GPS to take me there.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

They can have my point-and-shoot camera when they pry it from my cold, dead, hand. My phone takes barely 'ok' pictures, I can't afford (and don't even want) an iPhone or any other smartphone, and even if I could, my camera takes 1000% better pics!

Re: my desk top. Nobody touch it and nobody loses a limb.

Books? Yeah, those won't ever be replaced by anything. I would love to have a Kindle, to have while on vacation or something, but not to have in lieu of books. Ever.

Dumbass. I guess he's never tried to send something over 25MB to his fancy webmail account? Or needed to share files between people who don't have or want sharing services (like bosses who don't take kindly to you telling them what programs they should be installing)?

And I guess ditching your camera is fine if you actually have a smartphone, but not everyone does or wants one. I'm no luddite, but I actually have no need at this point for a smartphone. I do, however, carry my camera just about everywhere and use it several times a week. So nanana booboo and also neener neener neener!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

List articles are generally stupid with rare exceptions. This is not one of those exceptions. I'll keep things if I want to.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

that's kind of a stupid list

I am definitely not getting rid of my iPod anytime soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    List articles are generally stupid with rare exceptions.
    this. and only a fool would follow them.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Sorry, I'm keeping my 10 gig USB stick. Why?

BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO BLOW MY BANDWIDTH LIMIT UPLOADING/DOWNLOADING 10 GIGS AT A TIME OVER THE INTERNET. HD movies can be up to 10 gigs big!

how fucking stupid!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The other dubious premise of this article -- besides the idea that people are comfortable with underlit, low-res, low-frame-rate media -- is that they want to share all their crap on the Internet.

Thread Information