Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Youth will need name changes to escape 'cyber past'

Default Youth will need name changes to escape 'cyber past'

Young will have to change names to escape 'cyber past' warns Google's Eric Schmidt

The private lives of young people are now so well documented on the internet that many will have to change their names on reaching adulthood, Google’s CEO has claimed.

By Murray Wardrop
    Published: 7:00AM BST 18 Aug 2010
    Google's CEO Eric Schmidt Photo: AFP

Eric Schmidt suggested that young people should be entitled to change their identity to escape their misspent youth, which is now recorded in excruciating detail on social networking sites such as Facebook.

"I don't believe society understands what happens when everything is available, knowable and recorded by everyone all the time," Mr Schmidt told the Wall Street Journal.

In an interviewMr Schmidt said he believed that every young person will one day be allowed to change their name to distance themselves from embarrassing photographs and material stored on their friends' social media sites.

The 55-year-old also predicted that in the future, Google will know so much about its users that the search engine will be able to help them plan their lives.

Using profiles of it customers and tracking their locations through their smart phones, it will be able to provide live updates on their surroundings and inform them of tasks they need to do.
    "We're trying to figure out what the future of search is," Mr Schmidt said. “One idea is that more and more searches are done on your behalf without you needing to type.

"I actually think most people don't want Google to answer their questions. They want Google to tell them what they should be doing next."
    He suggested, as an example, that because Google would know “roughly who you are, roughly what you care about, roughly who your friends are”, it could remind users what groceries they needed to buy when passing a shop.

The comments are not the first time Mr Schmidt has courted controversy over the wealth of personal information people reveal on the internet. Last year, he notoriously remarked: “If you have something that you don’t want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place."
    Earlier this year, Google was condemned by the privacy watchdogs of 10 countries for showing a “disappointing disregard” for safeguarding private information of its users.

In a letter to Mr Schmidt, Britain's Information Commissioner Chris Graham joined his counterparts in countries including Canada, France, Germany and Italy, in raising concerns over its Street View and Buzz social networking services.

Young will have to change names to escape 'cyber past' warns Google's Eric Schmidt - Telegraph
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

He strikes me as a loon.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I am off to Google the dirt on him.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    I am off to Google the dirt on him.
    Too late, he's probably already changed his name!

He sounds like a psycho meglomaniac.

I don't want Google telling me what to do! WTF.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

its true, i've thought about this a lot and yes its true, i will need marriage to erase my past.

on a sidenote; i have it on good authority that Facebook is trying to compete with Google in this way too, its eery imo

I'm changing my surname soon, so it's all good.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Reverting to your maiden name?
    I retrieved my old account... Call me ZabriskiePoint or LaFolie, whichever you want

Nah, my stage name.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    its true, i've thought about this a lot and yes its true, i will need marriage to erase my past.

on a sidenote; i have it on good authority that Facebook is trying to compete with Google in this way too, its eery imo
    Why bother marrying, you can legally change it if you want to at any time.

Thread Information