Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of Facebook / Twitter pop-up on other sites?

Default Getting rid of Facebook / Twitter pop-up on other sites?

Does ANYONE know a code or a setting or an application to make it go away??? I'm SO sick of it and I hate it. I see it on Huffington Post, TMZ, Us Weekly, basically all the main websites. Its such a pain, prevents you from browsing normally sometimes.

Logging out of Twitter and Facebook doesn't make it go away. Clearing all my cookies does nothing.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about- its that frame that pops up so you can say you 'like' something:

I don't ever get that. Do you have the new upgraded internet explorer yet? Maybe that stops them. Or upgrade whatever you use. That is peculiar.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Can you provide a link to that pic so I can see if I get the same stuff in the corner?
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

Ha! Twitchy can fix this!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I don't ever get that. Do you have the new upgraded internet explorer yet? Maybe that stops them. Or upgrade whatever you use. That is peculiar.
    Could be. I use Firefox, and I'm on a Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Can you provide a link to that pic so I can see if I get the same stuff in the corner?
    Yay! Thanks for looking into this. Here's the link: Obamas Do Fourth Of July: First Couple Holds Barbecue, Watches Fireworks (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

And on TMZ, on this page as an example: Lindsay Lohan: The Judge Hates Me, But I'm Still Safe | TMZ.com

I get this version of it:

I get it too even without having twitter. Perhaps you have some other computer issue if you're having difficulties because it really shouldn't be affecting your use of the site and, no sorry, there is no way to get rid of it. It's part of that site.

Facebook Pushes 'Like' Button to Many Sites

By Christopher Heine, ClickZ, Apr 21, 2010

Facebook is set to dramatically increase its presence on the Web by syndicating its well-known "Like" button to numerous third party sites. Speaking during the keynote address today at the social site's f8 conference, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said his Palo Alto, CA-based company has been working with 75 partners and plans to quickly proliferate the button on their sites. By doing so it will extend user profiles and Facebook's own brand to destinations such as Pandora.com and NYTimes.com.

"When we launch later today, we expect we'll serve 1 billion Like buttons on the Web within 24 hours," Zuckerberg said.

The button can already be seen at Pandora.com and movie site IMDB.com (seen below). When users who are logged into their Facebook accounts visit those sites and hit the Like button for a piece of content, their name and profile picture will be seen near the item, band, or movie.

The action will also appear in a user's news feed. If the user hits the Like button a second time, they will then "un-like" the item, and their name and profile picture will be removed.

Also, the user can see names and profile pictures of Facebook friends who have tapped the button on third-party sites. In essence by using a similar protocol to Facebook Connect, the button transports a user's community to whatever sites decide to incorporate the plug-in.
    Michael Davidson, CEO of Newsvine.com, which is part of MSNBC.com, said he expected almost zero push-back from major consumer editorial brands to the idea of an increased Facebook presence on their sites.
    "One of the best things about [the Like button] is that it does the same thing as Connect without users having to [activate] Connect," Davidson said. "It makes things easier. And we like it when Facebook makes things easier."
    Many publishers like MSNBC.com, no doubt, will invite whatever extra traffic and user interactivity the Like button may bring. For that reason, the move also carries potentially healthy implications for e-retailers. Product recommendations can now include a Facebook friend's seal of approval. Jeans manufacturer Levi's is one of the earliest retail entities known to test the Like button.

In addition, Bret Taylor, product director for Facebook, revealed that developers will be able to search the social site's entire database for brand mentions and extract them for marketing purposes. The information will appear as a "module that says what people are saying about [a] brand," Taylor explained.

Both the Like button's pervasiveness and the search capability are made possible by Facebook's new open-graph protocol that's designed to give developers greater freedoms. In another manifestation of that strategy, Zuckerberg and Taylor both noted Facebook is getting rid of a policy preventing developers from storing data for more than 24 hours.
    Speaking of data, Zuckerberg's presentation appeared to hint at new data sharing relationships with partner Web sites. For instance, toward the end of his speech he described what first-time visitors to music site Pandora.com - one of the beta testers for the Like button - may experience if they are currently logged into Facebook. He said, "It will be able to start playing music from bands you've been playing across the Web." It was not immediately clear what sources of user music preferences Facebook and Pandora might have access to.

"These features build on the same benefits that brands have experienced with other Facebook integrations," a Facebook representative told ClickZ. "As sites offer people more relevant and personalized experiences on the Web, brands can benefit from richer engagement with their fans."

Facebook Pushes 'Like' Button to Many Sites - ClickZ

ok since you're using Firefox this should be your fix. I'm not getting that with the picture because I use a FF add on called Ad Block Plus. I don't even see the ads on IMDb. It's been wonderful!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865/
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

I've got AdBlock and the twitter and facebook thingies are still in the corner of the pictures.

Do you have the Plus with the filter subscription on? That's when it all stopped for me.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Go to the right corner on your FB page, go to "Privacy settings" under account, go to "applications and websites", click "edit settings". Go to "instant personalization", uncheck "enable instant personalization on partner websites".
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Is anyone else getting the "register your computer" page when logging into facebook? Not sure if I'm really liking that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Go to the right corner on your FB page, go to "Privacy settings" under account, go to "applications and websites", click "edit settings". Go to "instant personalization", uncheck "enable instant personalization on partner websites".
    It's already unchecked. You cannot get rid of the little "like" thingys on participating websites!

It's weird because I'm not getting that at all.

I got it but all I did was X out of it. There's an X on the far right side of the bar.

Will check out all your ideas later tonight- thanks!

And I just have to add: I HATE Facebook for this. By spreading their stupid 'Like' button all over the web and automatically posting shit to my News Feed, I now NEVER stay logged into FB. And I've got all the privacy settings set up. Essentially: I spend even LESS time on Facebook now because of this.

I'd seriously leave Facebook now but I have too many professional contacts on there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information