Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Vintage computing/gaming thread

Default Vintage computing/gaming thread

The news of the auction of the NES game "Stadium Events" for ~$40000 gave me the idea for this thread.

I was raised on DOS games from the 90's, and consoles from the 8-bit era on. Some of my favourite games have been on these "vintage" platforms.
    There's something simple yet challenging about some older games.

I don't exactly have a favouite game, or favourite console but I do favor the SNES with the N64 (GOLDENEYE!!) close behind. There are still some old consoles I'd love to get my hands on, the main one being more obscure: The Sega Nomad. The Vectrex was another oddity that would be interesting to play around with.

DOS games are still my favourite time wasters (too bad Vista isn't backwards compatible without using DOSbox)
    There are so many great games that came out during the late 80's and the 90's that it's impossible to list my faves mostly because I'll make a list than remember another one and so on.

But some of the DOS games that stand out in my mind that I still play the hell out of are:
    • The Commander Keen series
    • Duke Nukem (I want Duke Nukem Forever dammit!)
    • Museum Madness is a complete guilty pleasure
    • Space Quest series
    • Leisure Suit Larry series
    • Oregon Trail
    • The Dr. Brain games, mostly Castle and Island of Dr. Brain
    • Myst series
    • The "Hugo" series (House of Horrors, Whodunit, and Jungle of Doom)
    • DOOM!
    • Wolfenstein 3D
    • Sky Roads
    .....and the list goes on

I still have stacks of shareware CD's for my old Compaq 486 with a bunch of games on it. Every once in a while I'll pull some out and see if any new games are available online.

The beauty of old DOS games is that most of them have become "abandonware" and are freely available online. A few sites if anyone is a DOS game addict like I am:
    Abandonia <- has some newer user created DOS-like games.
    Free games: Download over 500 DOS games. Shareware and freeware, reviews, help getting games working!
    DOS Games Archive: download free classic games (MS-DOS)
    Home of the Underdogs <- Home of the underdogs, went offline for a while and I forgot about it but I guess it's back. I haven't tried downloading anything from there yet. Will when I get to a computer with XP.

If anybody has any old game favourites and would like to share, please do. I know someone will end up mentioning a game I totally forgot about and send me into a googling frenzy to find it

*regarding the DOS games sites, I have downloaded multiple games off each of them (minus the home of the underdogs new site) and haven't had a problem with any of them in regards to viruses, spyware, etc.

omfg I played all of those.. i don't have them now.. wow, talk about memories..

during college my friends and i uploaded Duke Nukem on the lab computers and played a 20 person LAN match.. it was INSANE
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I still play Unreal Tournament now and then.

You guys are babies. How about Combat or Space Invaders on the 2600? Pong?
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I see the forum is waxing nostalgic these days... Not that I mind.
    I love the smell of napalm in the morning...

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Pong was the bomb, back in the day. Remember Asteroids? How did we ever think these games were awesome?
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

cuz the alternative was Monopoly

fucking hate that game
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I had Atari. Still have it. All my friends had Intellivision or Colecovision. I loved Intellivision's SNAFU.

I remember when Pong first appeared in the arcades.

I also remember playing with Fairchild's console game system that preceded the 2600.

I actually owned the thing below (Atari Video Pinball):

I remember when LucasArts made great adventure games. The Monkey Island series, Loom, The Dig, the Indiana Jones series, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango. Then the nineties were over and they started to suck.
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

I'm on board for Oregon Trail, Maniac Mansion, and Labyrinth! God I miss the old commodore.

Load "*" , 8,1
    "Ronan is a Sinatra this comes from years of watching Maury!!!" *Diva!

I remember my mother having an old Sears pong system that we played the hell out of when I was 4 or 5. It's bugging me because I don't remember which one it was.
    My mother also has a VIC 20 that I used to mess around on. Couldn't do much since the VIC 20 by itself has very little ram and she has no games for it. When the swap meet around here opens, I'm going to be on the hunt for Commodore 64 peripherals since they're backwards compatible.

Does anybody remember the game Spelling Blizzard? I still remember being pissed because there was a glitch later in the game that wouldn't let me advance.
    I know Oregon Trail was huge, but did anybody play Amazon trail, and the Yukon Trail? the only real thing I did in the Amazon trail was the fishing mini-game and I didn't like the Yukon Trail.

3DRealms has a bunch of classic Apogee games including Major Stryker, Bio Menace, Monster Bash, Hocus Pocus for download (some are full versions):
    3D Realms Site: Master Download Page

Apogee and MECC games probably made up the bulk of DOS games I played then. I remember the Apple IIgs that our elementary school had, had a shitload of games I wish I could remember the names too. I unoftunately only remember a few: Jenny's Journeys, Number Munchers, and one with a farm. I vaguely remember the game play of quite a few games but can't remember titles.

For people that like adventure games, there's a new series of 4 games that were made independently.
    Here's a wiki describing the games:
    Chzo Mythos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This game isn't vintage at all, but it's similar to old point and click adventure games. It's called "Mystery of Time and Space." Just a few warnings:
    1. It's long
    2. It's addicting
    3. You WILL need a walkthrough.

And for nostalgia overload, there's always Mobygames Evey time I go there I end up remembering a game I used to play the hell out of and end up downloading it. Or even worse is the games have sequels I never knew existed (like Jill of the Jungle):
    MobyGames - A Game Documentation and Review Project

*still crossing fingers that Goldeneye 64 will end up PSN or Xbox live with full multiplayer. Perfect Dark is on XBL so give us Goldeneye dammit*

Thread Information