Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: Apple presents the new iPad

  1. #1
    Elite Member Moongirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cal-i-for-nigh-ay!
    Posts
    5,664

    Default Apple presents the new iPad

    Apple unveils the 'magical' iPad
    By John D. Sutter, CNN



    STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    -Apple tablet computer to be called the iPad

    -CEO Steve Jobs calls the computer "magical" and "revolutionary"

    -Former Vice President Al Gore among those in attendance at invitation-only unveiling

    -Device, between a smartphone and laptop, looks like giant iPhone, operates without keyboard

    CNN.com is covering the Apple announcement live on Wednesday. For the quickest updates follow@cnntech on Twitter or check the CNNmoney live blog.

    San Francisco, California (CNN) -- Apple CEO Steve Jobs on Wednesday unveiled the iPad, the widely and wildly anticipated tablet computer that he called "a truly magical and revolutionary product."

    "What this device does is extraordinary," Jobs said. "It is the best browsing experience you've ever had. ... It's unbelievably great ... way better than a laptop. Way better than a smartphone."

    The tablet will act as a sort of missing link between the two. The model Jobs demonstrated at an invitation-only event in San Francisco operated without a hardware keyboard, with Jobs typing on its glass screen.

    It has a nearly 10-inch screen, runs existing apps from the Apple apps store and is available in 16-gigabyte,32-gigabyte and 64-gigabyte versions, according to Jobs.

    Jobs said the iPad will be lightning fast: "It screams," he told a crowd that included former Vice President Al Gore.

    See CNN iReporters' reaction to the iPad

    The device will have a1 GHz processor -- an announcement that coaxed "oohs" and "ahs" from the audience.

    Pricing will start at $499 for the 16-gigabyte version, $599 for the 32-gig version and $699 for the 64, Jobs said.

    Having 3G mobile access will cost an extra $130 on each, he said.

    They are scheduled to begin shipping in 60 days.

    Jobs and executives from other companies announced several new apps designed for the iPad -- including the New York Times and Major League Baseball.

    Some members of the struggling print media have expressed hope in recent weeks that a popular Apple tablet could renew interest in their content while bringing new revenue through subscription plans or iTunes purchases.

    Apple disciples -- and, yes, some await each new product announcement from the company with near cult-like devotion -- have been anticipating a tablet computer for several years.

    The company has been considering designs for such a device since as early as 1983 and some smaller consumer-electronics companies already have rolled tablet computers onto the market.

    At the event, Jobs demonstrated several functions on the iPad, including Google Street View and a reader function -- which he used to pull up the New York Times and Time magazine.

    The tablet was expected to shake up the e-reader market by displaying books and newspaper and magazine articles on its color screen.

    CNN's Doug Gross and Brandon Griggs contributed to this report.

    Find this article at:
    Apple unveils the 'magical' iPad - CNN.com
    2008 Cable News Network

  2. #2
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    46,626

    Default

    neat.
    i don't see myself buying one because i have other tech priorities (new camera, etc) but if i had extra money to spend on 'toys', i'd get one.

    michael k called it the iPad (without wings)
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  3. #3
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    A lot of people are psyched about the iPad. Not me! My god, am I underwhelmed by it. It has some absolutely backbreaking failures that will make buying one the last thing I would want to do. Updated

    Big, Ugly Bezel
    Have you seen the bezel on this thing?! It's huge! I know you don't want to accidentally input a command when your thumb is holding it, but come on.

    No Multitasking
    This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.

    No Cameras
    No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?

    Touch Keyboard
    So much for Apple revolutionizing tablet inputs; this is the same big, ugly touchscreen keyboard we've seen on other tablets, and unless you're lying on the couch with your knees propping it up, it'll be awkward to use.

    No HDMI Out
    Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.

    The Name iPad
    Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!

    No Flash
    No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.

    Adapters, Adapters, Adapters
    So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.

    Update: Why stop at 8? Here are more things we are discovering that suck about the iPad.

    It's Not Widescreen
    Widescreen movies look lousy on this thing thanks to its 4:3 screen, according to Blam, who checked out some of Star Trek on one. It's like owning a 4:3 TV all over again!

    Doesn't Support T-Mobile 3G
    Sure, it's "unlocked." But it won't work on T-Mobile, and it uses microSIMs that literally no one else uses.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  4. #4
    Elite Member Brookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In the "D"
    Posts
    18,825

    Default

    I read some folks are already poking fun at the poor thing's name already - instead of "iPad", they're referring to it as the "iTampon".

  5. #5
    Elite Member blissfullyunaware's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,694

    Default

    It's a dumb name.I immediately thought of KOTEX when I heard it. Why bother buying this when you can get a notebook for under 300 and better features.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

  6. #6
    Elite Member Moongirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cal-i-for-nigh-ay!
    Posts
    5,664

    Default

    Tanja Aitamurto: Apple Announcement LIVE BLOG: Updates From Apple Tablet Event
    Apple Announcement LIVE BLOG: Updates From Apple Tablet Event

    10.06 Steve Jobs getting to the point

    10.09. The sound of intense typing filling out the room while Steve Jobs is explaining why netbooks are not good

    10.10 it is the iPad: people giving a big hand

    10.11. the media technocrati is in the room, sucking every word Steve Jobs says in his white sneakers

    10.13 Demo now - Jobs says it is more intimate to use it than a laptop. Jobs sitting on a chair and demoing the iPad

    10.16 Jobs surfing on the New York Times and the Time Magazine, showing how good iPad is for reading and surfing

    10.18. This is actually funny, the amount of attention the iPad gets - as if we would be enlightened by a gadget, or it would make our lives significantly better.

    10.20 I'm missing the crazy Macheads in this launch: the event is dedicated only to VIPs and to press - no Burning Man style Macfans let in. Where's the good old MacCraziness? The event takes places in a smallish auditorium at Yerba Buena Center, not in a huge hall

    10.28. This is a true gathering of the Silicon Valley techblogger and media experts. I spotted Walt Mossberg from WSJ's AllThingsDigital, photographer Rick Smolan from the Day in the Life, and of course, the TechCrunch star MG Siegler blogging his fingers off

    10:34 Good news for livebloggers: iPad's battery life will have a batterylife of 10 hours. No worries about the scarcity of power outlets

    10:38 a blogger next to me getting anxious - his macbook is running out of battery life, and there are no power outlets in our row - sorry, mate! hang on there!

    10:40 oh cool. Now about the New York Times and their collaboration with iPad

    10:42 maybe iPad really will make a difference in the ways how we consume news, as iPhone did? At least the NYT thinks so, giving a presentation about the NYT app for iPad

    10:48 The presentation of Electronic Art got the audience a bit excited - other than that, the people don't seem to be super excited. Why is that? Is it because we are mostly cynical journalists?

    10:59 Am I sensing the atmosphere right - a bit of a disappointment in the air? iPad is not so much different from iPod Touch. Can't ask anybody whether they agree - everybody is so focused on sharing the event with the world!

    11:26 iBooks store is cool. So is the price of the iPad, starting from $499 - these made the audience happy

    11:34 I like this by Steve Jobs: We all tried to be at the intersection of technology and liberal arts, be intuitive. So that they are easy to use, and fun to use.

    11:35. Now the wi-fi started to work more seamlessly - but the event is over. Now rushing to the hands on section and getting my hands on the device.

    2:26 Wow! Got my hands on the iPad. feels light, sleek, almost like a friend already. It's very intuitive to use, similar to iPhone. Good for reading. IBooks store is like iTunes, funky and easy to use

    1:03 Sitting at Peet's, and pondering whether I'd like to get the iPad. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit into my Marimekko designer's handbag. Maybe I should get a new handbag AND the iPad?

    1:36 Would I have a need for a new device? I'm using iPod, iPhone and Macbook already - although I'm fascinated by Steve Jobs' description of iPad giving a more intimate feel to reading and web browsing

    1:52 Trying to get some pics up - especially the one showing the size of the iPad, compared to my handbag. That is the most important thing, right?



  7. #7
    Elite Member L1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chillin with my homeboy Xenu
    Posts
    2,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    A lot of people are psyched about the iPad. Not me! My god, am I underwhelmed by it. It has some absolutely backbreaking failures that will make buying one the last thing I would want to do. Updated

    Big, Ugly Bezel
    Have you seen the bezel on this thing?! It's huge! I know you don't want to accidentally input a command when your thumb is holding it, but come on.

    No Multitasking
    This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.

    No Cameras
    No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?

    Touch Keyboard
    So much for Apple revolutionizing tablet inputs; this is the same big, ugly touchscreen keyboard we've seen on other tablets, and unless you're lying on the couch with your knees propping it up, it'll be awkward to use.

    No HDMI Out
    Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.

    The Name iPad
    Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!

    No Flash
    No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.

    Adapters, Adapters, Adapters
    So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.

    Update: Why stop at 8? Here are more things we are discovering that suck about the iPad.

    It's Not Widescreen
    Widescreen movies look lousy on this thing thanks to its 4:3 screen, according to Blam, who checked out some of Star Trek on one. It's like owning a 4:3 TV all over again!

    Doesn't Support T-Mobile 3G
    Sure, it's "unlocked." But it won't work on T-Mobile, and it uses microSIMs that literally no one else uses.
    It's basically a giant iPod touch. I'm not an expert and this is just my opinion, but there's 3 things that this tablet needs before I'd even consider it:
    1. Drop the iPhone OS, and have it use a full-blown proper OS. Run OSX or even a lesser version of OSX on it, and you're golden.
    2. Put USB support directly into the machine instead of having to use proprietary gear.
    3. FLASH!!!!

  8. #8
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sitting in judgement of YOU
    Posts
    27,598

    Default

    Some of us forners can't distinguish between the American pronunciation of iPod and iPad anyway. I suspect there are going to be a lot of misunderstandings.
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

  9. #9
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    46,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    It's basically a giant iPod touch. I'm not an expert and this is just my opinion, but there's 3 things that this tablet needs before I'd even consider it:
    1. Drop the iPhone OS, and have it use a full-blown proper OS. Run OSX or even a lesser version of OSX on it, and you're golden.
    2. Put USB support directly into the machine instead of having to use proprietary gear.
    3. FLASH!!!!
    yeah that's true. the no flash thing is actually the only thing that i don't like about my ipod touch. if they fixed that, i might actually be tempted.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  10. #10
    Elite Member Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trolltopia
    Posts
    29,127

    Default

    That thing has made front page news everywhere yesterday. I said it before and I stand by it, there is a worldwide media consipracy. Apple pays the broadcasters, I'm certain of it. I now regret getting my iPohne. I always said, i'd never buy Apple and I got weak. Shame on me.

    Considering the fuss they make, this thing should cure cancer and AIDS. And when that's accomplished, it should stop global warming. At the very least.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-



  11. #11
    Elite Member Shinola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Smokin' with your baby
    Posts
    3,522

    Default

    You're probably right, Chilly. I have a plain old Toshiba laptop and an iMac, and for most things (except graphics, music) I prefer the Toshiba. Greatly prefer it. Mr. S has a really nice Mac laptop, and I don't care for it, either. And now I have an iPod Touch, and although I'll admit it's way better than my last portable music device, it hasn't changed my life or anything.

    I have problems with how poorly designed iTunes is, and the fact that my library is tied to a specific computer rather than to the store, which can't remember what I purchased. And for my work I rely on MS Word, which obvs hasn't made developing a great Mac product a priority, so I'm at the PC every day.

    I like the Mac stuff okay, but it's not earth-shattering news to me when they release something new. The iPad esp doesn't look that interesting to me. Glorified, oversized iPod sums it up, as others have said.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

  12. #12
    Elite Member greysfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Burning Down Your Windmill
    Posts
    42,220

    Default

    I'm underwhelmed. And I hear Apple's stock went down after the announcement yesterday, though I'm not surprised.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

  13. #13
    Elite Member Chalet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,702

    Default

    More intimate than a laptop? Makes it sound like the ipad can be used as a vibrator.

    This is all fine for entertainment. Music, videos, internet, reading, games, email, texting, but one of those things can't replace a MAC or PC for word processing, spread sheets etc. Not everything is about entertainment or their internet experience.

  14. #14
    Elite Member greysfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Burning Down Your Windmill
    Posts
    42,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    More intimate than a laptop? Makes it sound like the ipad can be used as a vibrator.
    If it could, I'd be more impressed. I've often joked with my friends that the iPod should come with a vibrator that changes speed to your favorite tracks.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

  15. #15
    Elite Member Chalet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,702

    Default

    Imagine what the Shuffle would do!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •