Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Need advice on camera purchase

Elite Member

Default Need advice on camera purchase

I would like to get a DSLR camera this year and take classes to learn how to use it. I want a good basic camera and I have no idea what to buy. One of the blogs I read has a girl who takes great pics and she has a Canon Rebel XT (which they don't make anymore), and these 2 lenses: a 50mm/1.4 and a 24-70 L series. I don't even know what those lenses are supposed to do. I would like to spend as little money as possible...maybe around $500 total?

My objectives? To take really good clear pictures of my kids that aren't too shadowy outside and too overexposed because of flash inside. My pics also are grainy and I can't figure out our camera (point and shoot), even though it has 7.2 mp, which I thought was good.

Can someone please school me in what would be my basic needs? I don't want to go to the camera store and have someone take me for a ride $-wise.

Thanks!

i don't know what you can find for that price since you also have to buy a lens. i am anning on buying the canon EOS 40D which is awesome and also easy to use if you're not a total pro. if i can still find it that is. i think they're pushing the 50D as a replacement but thar's an excellent camera too.
    nikon is good too and i know some people swear by them but personally i find canons much more intuitive and user friendly.
    Posted from my iPhone

You might wanna check out this thread....
    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/hig...ed-camera.html

^^^
    that thread was for compacts, the OP wants a DSLR
    Posted from my iPhone

Ah! my bad - I just remember seeing the thread title.

*note to self: hide camera from novice if she comes to visit*
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hell, I'm still using film for my art shots McJag, I have different lenses & a light metre & everything, but I have a collection of compacts too.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Hell, I'm still using film for my art shots McJag, I have different lenses & a light metre & everything, but I have a collection of compacts too.
    I am convinced you would covet my Kodak Easy Share!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Novice, have you tried different types of film, like infrared film and such? If so did you have any success with it?

To the OP:
    I would like to get a DSLR camera this year and take classes to learn how to use it. I want a good basic camera and I have no idea what to buy. One of the blogs I read has a girl who takes great pics and she has a Canon Rebel XT (which they don't make anymore), and these 2 lenses: a 50mm/1.4 and a 24-70 L series. I don't even know what those lenses are supposed to do. I would like to spend as little money as possible...maybe around $500 total?
    Canon still makes the Rebel line which are cheaper and more compact than their "D" line. You can get a Canon Rebel with a lens (usually a 18-55 mm) for approx. $700.
    The 50mm lens is a fixed focus lens. The 24-70mm obviously has a focus range of 24-70mm, so with that lens you'd get more of a wide angle at 24mm and a zoom at 70mm. Those 'L' series lenses are expensive though.

My objectives? To take really good clear pictures of my kids that aren't too shadowy outside and too overexposed because of flash inside. My pics also are grainy and I can't figure out our camera (point and shoot), even though it has 7.2 mp, which I thought was good.
    If you're just taking pics of your kids, you'd probably just need a simple short range zoom lens (then you've got the option of image stabilization on some lenses, etc). Sigma, Tamron, and there's another one I can't think of right now, they make lenses with camera specific mounts for cheaper than say Canon, Nikon, etc.

I have a Canon 30D with a Canon 18-55mm, Canon 55-250 Image stabilization, and a Sigma 70-300mm. I use the smaller 18-55 lens for everyday stuff, the 55-250 for nature shots and such, and the 70-300 for mostly nature and aviation photography (just to give you an idea at the differences).

In regards to your grainy pics, what ISO setting is your camera at? The higher the ISO, the noisier the pic will be.

Can someone please school me in what would be my basic needs? I don't want to go to the camera store and have someone take me for a ride $-wise.
    There are cameras that are DSLR "like" but don't have changeable lenses. These are the cameras with like 12x optical zoom, and have just as many customization options as DSLR's, and they're usually cheaper.
    Just one last tip. If you do decide to get a DSLR, get a filter for the lens. A simple UV or haze filter that screws onto the front of the lens will protect the lens and enhance the pics a bit.

Anyway, here's a few sites that may help you:
    Find The Best Digital SLR Camera for You in 4 Easy Steps
    Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Ooh! Hurries off to follow link...

No, and yes, I use different film types for different projects (haven't for a while tbh) but haven't used infra-red film.

It's sad but true, I seem to take most of my photos on a little digital compact with a reasonable range of features (zoom, backlight, delayed shutter, etc) & a highish pixal count; but I've not had any of these blown up into wall posters....

Good luck OP, you've wetted my interest now, will you let us know what you decide?

Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    You can get a Canon Rebel with a lens (usually a 18-55 mm) for approx. $700.
    Mr. S got a Canon Rebel for Christmas, and the prices for the whole line have recently dropped quite a bit. If you're comfortable with the very small plastic body of the truly entry-level Rebels, you can probably find one for $550 or less with a lens included. But the lens packaged with a nonprofessional camera will tend to be of low quality. So Mr. S will be wanting other lenses, maybe a good wide-angle (28mm) to start with. As I understand it, the 50mm lens is what used to be the "training" lens for students--good for both portraits and composing scenes? I read somewhere that the perspective of the 50 is similar to what is seen by the human eye. It might work well for getting natural-looking photos of your children. Some people say that a zoom lens is not great for beginners, but if that's the stock lens (it usually is these days), you can try it and see what you think.

I'd just get the basic camera/lens set for the lowest possible price, knowing that over time I'd need some different lenses and other accessories. Since you want to take a class, your student experience and the professor/teacher will be able to help guide you toward what you will really need. A tripod? A better flash? You'll for sure want a camera bag, a good strap if the one that comes with the camera is lame, and a lens cover (none was included with hubby's camera). I second L1049's filter suggestion.
    Last edited by Shinola; January 1st, 2010 at 06:40 PM.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Thread Information