Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new PC/laptop? Wait a few weeks.

A*O

Default Buying a new PC/laptop? Wait a few weeks.

I'm a technotard so apologies if you geeks already know this but my personal nerd told me today that the new Windows OS to replace the craptastic Vista is being released in Oct/Nov. He's had a preview and says it's much better than Vista. So if like me you are still using XP and considering getting a new computer be patient for a few more weeks. Dell is desperately trying to sell its current stock at bargain basement prices here; now I know why.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I Hate Vista!

An old fucking sock is better than Vista!!! (or should that be slate & chalk?).

My BIL phoned me for techotard help today & I didn't have a clue what he was on about on the menus because... he has Vista... Bleurgh!
    Free Charmed.

fucking hate vista.
    but no matter how much better the new windows is, it still won't be better than a mac

i still have to deal with windows at work but at least we still have xp.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

My nerd says that Microsoft will continue to support XP for a while because they know Vista sucks balls but eventually we'll have to change. Let's hope the new system is XP2 or something because I've never had a problem with XP and if it ain't broke I don't understand why Microsoft feels the need to fix it.
    Dame Edna Everage

Silver Member

that is good news that something will finally replace Vista. however the new program will be in beta for awhile so i'd wait even longer for any bugs to be worked out. we bought our daughter a Mac for college, more money but no viruses and since we aren't there to troubleshoot, well worth it.

Many computers now are being sold with the promise of a free upgrade to the new system, Windows 7, when it's released. So if you really need a computer now, and you don't mind installing a new OS later, you don't have to be stuck with Vista.

Chances are you can also probably go ahead and get your copy/download of Windows 7 and delay installing it until some of the bugs are eliminated. But the new OS probably will not have all the issues that Vista did before SP 1 was issued, because it's meant to be more streamlined and stable to begin with.

All the techie people I know say Windows 7 is a lot like XP, if that's any consolation to you XP lovers.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    My nerd says that Microsoft will continue to support XP for a while because they know Vista sucks balls but eventually we'll have to change. Let's hope the new system is XP2 or something because I've never had a problem with XP and if it ain't broke I don't understand why Microsoft feels the need to fix it.
    Oh you do!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    Many computers now are being sold with the promise of a free upgrade to the new system, Windows 7, when it's released. So if you really need a computer now, and you don't mind installing a new OS later, you don't have to be stuck with Vista.
    True...I got an email about HP's Labor Day sale, so I was looking around their website and most systems came with the free upgrade.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Got mine in May, and I'm NOT eligible for a Windows 7 upgrade! (Dells purchased between June and November). I called. Sunzabitches.

What's the big problem/hatred over Vista? This is my first laptop. I'm chugging along fine I think?

I like Vista, never had a problem with it, but I've heard lots of people bitch about it

Vista was unstable when first issued and caused a lot of people problems, whereas XP had been very stable. I understand that Vista is considered a poorly written, bloated OS codewise--it supposedly eats up more hardware resources than XP--and many people have complained about it requiring administrator permission for fairly straightforward actions. I think it might also be harder to customize than XP. Basically, Windows released a product that isn't better than XP, and might even be a lot worse than XP, just to make money by semi-forcing people to switch to a new OS. The fact that they have continued to support XP surprises me. But I think a lot of the hardcore XP holdouts are the higher-end users, and maybe Microsoft is more responsive to them than they would be to you or me.

Now Vista is reasonably stable now for average users, because of the service packs Windows issued. I have no problem with Vista for surfing the Web or for word processing. But for more intensive applications, like heavy-duty audio or graphics programs, Vista is a disaster, causing lots of crashes in which work is lost.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    I have no problem with Vista for surfing the Web or for word processing. But for more intensive applications, like heavy-duty audio or graphics programs, Vista is a disaster, causing lots of crashes in which work is lost.
    My daughter does a lot of computer animation and other graphics, CAD, etc and she had this problem with Vista. So we asked our tame nerd to get rid of it and install XP instead and it's been fine ever since. She's happy to stay with XP so long as Microsoft continues to support it (another year or so apparently) by which time the new OS should be up and running properly. I plan to buy a laptop later this year so I'll wait a bit longer even though the fire sale Vista bargains out there at the moment are quite tempting.
    Dame Edna Everage

LOL! I totally understand why you're doing that A*O. A "tame-nerd" (love that) that I know offered to install xp on the mr's work pc because its Vista.... he's so technocrap that it doesn't really matter... but I hate using his.
    I bought my Mac in that kind of "fire sale" just as the duo cores came out - got a great machine for half the price & then whacked a couple of 1 GB RAM chips in the bottom of it... now I really notice how slow my connection speed is!!! *cries*
    Free Charmed.

A*O

I did think about a Mac but since the rest of the household uses Microsoft it's probably better to stick with what I know. The Australian internets tube is steam driven so we are used to S L O W.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information