Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Amazon's Kindle

Default Amazon's Kindle

Has anyone bought a Kindle from Amazon? I've been thinking about buying one but I wanted some opinions on it first. Thanks!!!!

Nope but I don't care for what I hear. Amazon can remotely disable features. Text to speech for example was hailed as wonderful for the visually impaired and those with reading disabilities but Random House publishers had a snit because they felt that they then wouldn't make money off of their audiobooks so Amazon started disabling the feature on their books and will eventually get all of them. Other publishers may follow suit. Source What other features will they disable after someone's bought it? You buy the books but unlike paper books, you do not own them. Amazon can lock you out of books you've already purchased if they feel so inclined and prevent you from obtaining any more. Source That case got resolved but it leaves me with too many questions to consider the product. Too nervous after dealing with Amazon customer "service" in the past.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Another reviw I read said the price was outrageous & if you wait a few year there will be bigger competition. I was tempted,but decided to wait.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm a dork and I love mine. It's very convenient. I love that I have any book in less than a minute for a fraction of the cost. $9.99 for best sellers and about 6 bucks for other books. Love it.

Love mine too. I'd say go for it. If you are a voracious reader you will never look back.

Oh,darn! Now I am tempted all over again.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Gold Member

Got one--love it and completely agree with zebracakes! You may even want to wait a bit because I hear they're coming out with a version that reads textbooks (simple Google search should find the specifics since I only saw the headline awhile back).

I can't.

Part of my romance with books is the actual books, the new paper, the smell, the feeling when I first open a new one, and the comfy feeling of when I find an old second hand one.

I've been lucky enough to have the space to build a library for my babies, I just can't see liking this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Haven't used one before but think it's very cool. I want one!

Thank you everyone!! I think I may have to get one.

Gold Member

My in-laws actually bought two of those Acer mini laptops. Cheaper price, more options and freedom when it came to getting books, no problems at all. I'll probably do the same thing down the road.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by xmandy_01 View Post
    Has anyone bought a Kindle from Amazon? I've been thinking about buying one but I wanted some opinions on it first. Thanks!!!!
    Yeah, I have 2 of the original Kindles. My sister has the "Kindle 2" and I'm considering getting the newest "Kindle DX".

Bumping this thread b/c Amazon just reduced the price of the Kindle 2. It's 259 now, 279 for a version that is coming out soon with international wireless. The international wireless is great, except that they excluded Canada from the Kindle entirely, wtf?

I just caved and bought one. I've been debating for awhile, and have been borrowing my mom's Sony Reader for the past few weeks and realized that, while I love physical books, I didn't feel I was missing much with the digital version. Plus new release books are cheaper, and I'm running out of space in my physical bookshelves.

I admit that I'm not well-read regarding the Kindle, but can someone tell me if the Sony Reader is better/worse?
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I honestly don't know a whole lot of the differences b/c I haven't used the Reader to the full extent of the capabilities it has. Surface glance though, the biggest difference seems to be that the Kindle is wireless capable, so you can go to Amazon from the device itself, buy the book, and have it on your device without needing the computer (because of this it also has a full qwerty keypad).

Otherwise the specs are pretty much the same, regular Sony Reader has a SLIGHTLY smaller screen, as well as a little lighter weight. Sony also claims that you can't put ebooks from other places on the kindle, but the Kindle has pdf capability, and most ebooks seem to have a pdf option, so i don't see where the problem is there.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information