Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook

Btw guys, a hipster tech nerd friend of mine turned me onto this

ReclaimPrivacy.org | Facebook Privacy Scanner

Seriously awesome. Drag the little doohicky to your browser bar, tell it to scan your facebook, and it tells you which parts are all open and vulnerable. Then it provides a handy link beside each vulnerable part to click on so you go right to that setting to change it.

Wickedawesome.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thanks so much Grimm that thing is awesome.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Awesome. Just did the scan then shared the link on my wall.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

I really enjoyed Facebook when I first joined, because it was great reconnecting with old friends. Now I am kind of bored with it. It gets boring reading about the pregnant ladies who text how many centimeters they are before giving birth. Part of the problem is I'm much older than these gals, and am over the baby worship. So I've got them on hide, now. I've thought about deleting some of my "friends" because I don't want them knowing too much about me, but then again, I never reveal anything about myself that's earth-shattering. I'm paranoid that anyone could look at my profile, even future employers.
    Who says being second best is such a bad thing?

Im beginning to think the thrill of finding old friends wears off real fast. Most times Ive reunited a few words were said, maybe someone will say we should get together but we never do. Most of us have gone about our lives, gotten married, had children, some moved to other states. No real time to do anything anymore, and not much time to even talk. But nevertheless, its nice to know old buddies are okay.

Anybody check it recently? Huge privacy tutorial up now.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I have had fun on Facebook, and have reuited with a ton of friends. But the constant changes they make drive me crazy. The need to go in monthly and change security settings sucks because of their constant changes. Seeing stuff I wrote in emails to ppl thru Facebook on Google is just wrong. If you don't keep up on their changes, you're screwed. And the only way I ever know about the changes are thru friends posts. Facebook sure as hell doesn't tell me.
    What is their deal? Why do they do this? I don't understand the need to make everything we say and do on there public? I enjoy Facebook for the friends I have on it, but it's getting pretty bad as far as not trusting them.
    And why is GR not on Facebook? Didn't we used to be?
    You've seen your emails to other people on Google? Crap. Are you serious? How'd you find it? Was there a certain search term you used?

You can read facebook messages on Google?!?

I googled my name and there was a friend request email I sent someone right there on google.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

I googled every combo I could think of and, thankfully, didn't see anything. Whew. For a minute there I was worried my SIL would find out what I think of her fiance. LOL!

Lol, thank goodness.
    I have my security set now so no one can see anything, hopefully, except friends.
    I have grown really bored with the whole FB thing recently. I'm boring, my friends are boring, I'm sick of Bejeweled Blitz lol!

I changed mine so no one can see me unless they are friends of my own friends, but I know some people who have it so even if you are friends with a friend of theirs you cant see them. Its almost as if theyre Facebook doesnt exist except to a handful of people. I have no idea how they got it like that.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

thanks for posting this, i really dont go on anymore and kinda could care less about whats going on in my "friends" lives that they choose to announce to anyone. i just dont care. the internet is over!

i dont really check my twitter either

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Btw guys, a hipster tech nerd friend of mine turned me onto this

ReclaimPrivacy.org | Facebook Privacy Scanner

Seriously awesome. Drag the little doohicky to your browser bar, tell it to scan your facebook, and it tells you which parts are all open and vulnerable. Then it provides a handy link beside each vulnerable part to click on so you go right to that setting to change it.

Wickedawesome.
    this isn't working for me, i tried it in internet explorer and firefox, mines pretty damn private though.

i hate that you can google your name and find all this shit that you've posted, its disturbing. i cant wait to change my name really.

That Pirate setting is fucking hilarious to me....I switch it over every few wks and laugh and laugh. I don't know why I find it so great but I do.

The Facebook Data Torrent Debacle: Q&A

Ian Paul Ian Paul – Thu Jul 29, 11:32 am ET
    Security concerns over Facebook have been raised yet again after a security consultant collected the names and profile URLs for 171 million Facebook accounts from publicly available information. The consultant, Ron Bowes, then uploaded the data as a torrent file allowing anyone with a computer connection to download the data.
    Simon Davies a representative of the U.K.-based privacy watchdog Privacy International accused Facebook of negligence over the data mining technique, according to the BBC. Facebook, however, told the British news service that Bowes actions haven't exposed anything new since all the information Bowes collected was already public.
    So what are the security risks? Should you be concerned? Let's take a look.
    What data was collected?
    Ron Bowes, a security consultant and blogger at Skull Security, used a piece of computer script to scan Facebook profiles listed in Facebook's public profile directory. Using the script Bowes collected the names and profile URLs for every publicly searchable Facebook profile. All together, Bowes said he was able to collect names and Web addresses for 171 million Facebook users. That's a little more than a third Facebook's 500 million users. (Click image above to zoom)
    What did he do with the data?
    Bowes compiled this list of text into a file and made it available online as a downloadable torrent.
    How many people have downloaded the torrent?
    The Pirate Bay lists 2923 seeds and 9473 leechers for the torrent file at the time of this writing. Seeds are people who have downloaded the entire file and are uploading to others. Leechers are actively downloading the file.
    Is this a big deal?
    That depends on who you ask. Facebook points out that some of the data Bowes collected was already available through search engines like Google and Bing. The entire set is also available to any user signed into Facebook. So the data was already publicly available, and nobody's private Facebook data has been compromised. Nevertheless, this is the first time that 171 million Facebook profile names have been collected into one set of files that can be easily analyzed and searched by anyone.
    What could a malicious hacker use the data for?
    As Bowes pointed out in a blog post, someone could use this data as a starting point to find other publicly available user data on Facebook. After all, you have to wonder how many of these 171 million Facebook users have publicly exposed e-mail addresses, phone numbers and other information on their profiles?
    It has been proven time and again that the more a bad guy knows about you the greater your security risk is. Collecting personal data allowed a French hacker to steal confidential corporate documents at Twitter. Researchers were alarmed when Netflix wanted to release anonymous user data including age, gender and ZIP code for the Netflix Prize 2. Security researchers said the data dump by Netflix was irresponsible since it is possible to narrow down a person's identity just by knowing their age and ZIP code. The contest was eventually canceled. One Carnegie-Mellon study also found a flaw in the social security numbering system that could allow a sophisticated hacker using data mining techniques to uncover up to 47 social security numbers a minute.
    How do I know if my name was caught in the data dump?
    From your Facebook profile dashboard click on 'Account' in the upper right hand side of your dashboard. Select 'Privacy Settings,' and then on the next page under 'Basic Directory Information' click on 'View Settings.' You should see a page similar to the image above. If the first listing called "Search for me on Facebook" is set to "Everyone." Then chances are, your name and profile URL are in the torrent file. (Click image to zoom)
    You should also check to see if external search engines like Google and Bing are indexing your profile. To do this go back to your main privacy settings page, and at the bottom click on the "Edit Settings" button next to "Public Search." On the next page, if the "Enable public search" check box is ticked then search engines are indexing your profile. To stop this just uncheck the box and then click on "Back to Applications."
    My name is not in the public directory should I be concerned?
    If you were not in the public directory Bowes says your name is not in the torrent file. However, you could be exposed to similar data mining techniques in the future. Bowes says that if any of your Facebook connections have made their friends lists public then your profile could easily be found through data mining your friends' profiles.
    What can I do to keep my information private?
    The biggest concern isn't so much about your name and profile URL being exposed. The greater concern, for you anyway, is the publicly available information contained on your profile page.
    To protect yourself, you may want to reconsider your current privacy settings. To do that visit your Facebook profile's Basic Directory Information page by following the steps listed above or just click here.
    On the top right of the page you should see a button that says "Preview My Profile." Clicking that button will show you all the information you make public on Facebook. Data you may want to consider hiding includes your hometown, birth date, age, phone number, current city and e-mail address.
    So what do you say? Is Bowes' data dump making your rethink your Facebook profile settings or are you not concerned?
    Connect with Ian on Twitter (@ianpaul).

Source: The Facebook Data Torrent Debacle: Q&A - Yahoo! News
    Now why in the World would someone do something like this? What is he proving? Like one of the comments already said, something already has most peoples names and addresses. A phone book.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information