Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook

Facebook’s Gone Rogue; It’s Time for an Open Alternative
    • By Ryan Singel
    • May 7, 2010 |

Facebook has gone rogue, drunk on founder Mark Zuckerberg’s dreams of world domination. It’s time the rest of the web ecosystem recognizes this and works to replace it with something open and distributed.
    Facebook used to be a place to share photos and thoughts with friends and family and maybe play a few stupid games that let you pretend you were a mafia don or a homesteader. It became a very useful way to connect with your friends, long-lost friends and family members. Even if you didn’t really want to keep up with them.
    Soon everybody — including your uncle Louie and that guy you hated from your last job — had a profile.
    And Facebook realized it owned the network.
    Then Facebook decided to turn “your” profile page into your identity online — figuring, rightly, that there’s money and power in being the place where people define themselves. But to do that, the folks at Facebook had to make sure that the information you give it was public.
    So in December, with the help of newly hired Beltway privacy experts, it reneged on its privacy promises and made much of your profile information public by default. That includes the city that you live in, your name, your photo, the names of your friends and the causes you’ve signed onto.
    This spring Facebook took that even further. All the items you list as things you like must become public and linked to public profile pages. If you don’t want them linked and made public, then you don’t get them — though Facebook nicely hangs onto them in its database in order to let advertisers target you.
    This includes your music preferences, employment information, reading preferences, schools, etc. All the things that make up your profile. They all must be public — and linked to public pages for each of those bits of info — or you don’t get them at all. That’s hardly a choice, and the whole system is maddeningly complex.
    Simultaneously, the company began shipping your profile information off pre-emptively to Yelp, Pandora and Microsoft — so that if you show up there while already logged into Facebook, the sites can “personalize” your experience when you show up. You can try to opt out after the fact, but you’ll need a master’s in Facebook bureaucracy to stop it permanently.
    Care to write a status update to your friends? Facebook sets the default for those messages to be published to the entire internet through direct funnels to the net’s top search engines. You can use a dropdown field to restrict your publishing, but it’s seemingly too hard for Facebook to actually remember that’s what you do. (Google Buzz, for all the criticism it has taken, remembers your setting from your last post and uses that as the new default.)
    Now, say you you write a public update, saying, “My boss had a crazy great idea for a new product!” Now, you might not know it, but there is a Facebook page for “My Crazy Boss” and because your post had all the right words, your post now shows up on that page. Include the words “FBI” or “CIA,” and you show up on the FBI or CIA page.
    Then there’s the new Facebook “Like” button littering the internet. It’s a great idea, in theory — but it’s completely tied to your Facebook account, and you have no control over how it is used. (No, you can’t like something and not have it be totally public.)
    Then there’s Facebook’s campaign against outside services. There was the Web 2.0 suicide machine that let you delete your profile by giving it your password. Facebook shut it down.
    Another company has an application that will collect all your updates from services around the web into a central portal — including from Facebook — after you give the site your password to log in to Facebook. Facebook is suing the company and alleging it is breaking criminal law by not complying with its terms of service.
    No wonder 14 privacy groups filed a unfair-trade complaint with the FTC against Facebook on Wednesday.
    Mathew Ingram at GigaOm wrote a post entitled “The Relationship Between Facebook and Privacy: It’s Really Complicated.”
    No, that’s just wrong. The relationship is simple: Facebook thinks that your notions of privacy — meaning your ability to control information about yourself — are just plain old-fashioned. Head honcho Zuckerberg told a live audience in January that Facebook is simply responding to changes in privacy mores, not changing them — a convenient, but frankly untrue, statement.
    In Facebook’s view, everything (save perhaps your e-mail address) should be public. Funny too about that e-mail address, for Facebook would prefer you to use its e-mail–like system that censors the messages sent between users.
    Ingram goes onto say, “And perhaps Facebook doesn’t make it as clear as it could what is involved, or how to fine-tune its privacy controls — but at the same time, some of the onus for doing these things has to fall to users.”
    What? How can it fall to users when most of the choices don’t’ actually exist? I’d like to make my friend list private. Cannot.
    I’d like to have my profile visible only to my friends, not my boss. Cannot.
    I’d like to support an anti-abortion group without my mother or the world knowing. Cannot.
    Setting up a decent system for controlling your privacy on a web service shouldn’t be hard. And if multiple blogs are writing posts explaining how to use your privacy system, you can take that as a sign you aren’t treating your users with respect, It means you are coercing them into choices they don’t want using design principles. That’s creepy.
    Facebook could start with a very simple page of choices: I’m a private person, I like sharing some things, I like living my life in public. Each of those would have different settings for the myriad of choices, and all of those users could then later dive into the control panel to tweak their choices. That would be respectful design - but Facebook isn’t about respect — it’s about re-configuring the world’s notion of what’s public and private.
    So what that you might be a teenager and don’t get that college-admissions offices will use your e-mail address to find possibly embarrassing information about you. Just because Facebook got to be the world’s platform for identity by promising you privacy and then later ripping it out from under you, that’s your problem. At least, according to the bevy of privacy hired guns the company brought in at high salaries to provide cover for its shenanigans.
    Clearly Facebook has taught us some lessons. We want easier ways to share photos, links and short updates with friends, family, co-workers and even, sometimes, the world.
    But that doesn’t mean the company has earned the right to own and define our identities.
    It’s time for the best of the tech community to find a way to let people control what and how they’d like to share. Facebook’s basic functions can be turned into protocols, and a whole set of interoperating software and services can flourish.
    Think of being able to buy your own domain name and use simple software such as Posterous to build a profile page in the style of your liking. You’d get to control what unknown people get to see, while the people you befriend see a different, more intimate page. They could be using a free service that’s ad-supported, which could be offered by Yahoo, Google, Microsoft, a bevy of startups or web-hosting services like Dreamhost.
    “Like” buttons around the web could be configured to do exactly what you want them to — add them to a protected profile or get added to a wish list on your site or broadcast by your micro-blogging service of choice. You’d be able to control your presentation of self — and as in the real world, compartmentalize your life.
    People who just don’t want to leave Facebook could play along as well — so long as Facebook doesn’t continue creepy data practices like turning your info over to third parties, just because one of your contacts takes the “Which Gilligan Island character are you?” quiz? (Yes, that currently happens)
    Now, it might not be likely that a loose confederation of software companies and engineers can turn Facebook’s core services into shared protocols, nor would it be easy for that loose coupling of various online services to compete with Facebook, given that it has 500 million users. Many of them may be fine having Facebook redefine their cultural norms, or just be too busy or lazy to leave.
    But in the internet I’d like to live in, we’d have that option, instead of being left with the choice of letting Facebook use us, or being left out of the conversation altogether.
    Photo: Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg gives the keynote at SXSW conference in Austin, Texas, 2009.
    Jim Merithew/Wired.com

Source: Facebook’s Gone Rogue; It’s Time for an Open Alternative | Epicenter*| Wired.com
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Yeah, i check every couple weeks to make sure everything i have is locked down as far as it can go.. but facefuck is still chipping away at that.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Here are some nice graphs about facebook privacy and what is available to whom.

The Evolution of Privacy on Facebook

Darn. MySpace might make a comeback the way thats looking. Last I read its impossible to crack their Private settings. Im still trying to figure out how to get my MySpace and Facebook Private.

But honestly, is it that serious? Some people dont say anything they wouldnt say to peoples faces, dont list their jobs, only post pics and talk to old friends. Im sure there isnt much to worry about there.

It gets even better!

Today, Facebook is having an emergency meeting to discuss their site's privacy problem. But these instant messages, supposedly sent by CEO Mark Zuckerberg in Facebook's early days, suggest that user privacy may have always been an afterthought.

The messages were uncovered by Silicon Alley Insider, who is no stranger to excavating the unsavory details of Facebook's past.

As SAI points out, there's no context for Zuckerberg's remarks, if they are indeed his, and there's no way to tell if these comments reflect how he really viewed matters of privacy when he was building Facebook.

But the allegation that Zuckerberg once used information from Facebook's logs to hack into Harvard Crimson reporters' email accounts certainly doesn't help his track record on this sort of thing, and Facebook's official response to the messages doesn't deny that they came from Zuckerberg:

The privacy and security of our users' information is of paramount importance to us. We're not going to debate claims from anonymous sources or dated allegations that attempt to characterize Mark's and Facebook's views towards privacy.

While the vast majority of Facebook's users might not think twice about what the site does with the information they post in their profiles, the contingent that is concerned is growing in size and becoming increasingly vocal. Yesterday, an open source Facebook alternative called Diaspora was lavished with attention and subsequently received a deluge of funding—it has now raised over $100,000. And even though these messages don't paint the whole picture by any means, I wouldn't be surprised if they drive a lot more funding in Diaspora's direction. [SAI]

19-Year-Old Facebook CEO Didn't Take Your Privacy Seriously, Either - Facebook - Gizmodo
    [/quote]
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

smf

^ omg !!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    It's not under my real name anyway...so I can check on my settings and make sure FB is doing what it's supposed to

Me too, i'm on FB but with a different last name.
    I locate friends and add em, then they tell my other friends, so people only find me when i find and friend them : ) I never have to worry about bosses or co-workers 'outing' me on my extracurricular activities. My paranoia helped immensely when i set up FB.

If you've got family/friends/ex-boyfriend stalkers i highly recommend changing your last name. And make ALL your party pictures private, except to a handful of trusted friends.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

I just checked my privacy settings and Facebook had changed them again to "everyone". I FUCKING HATE FACEBOOK. I really do. It's time for an alternative, I haven't been on there for a long time and I absolutely hate, hate, hate being monitored and spied on. Fuck them.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I just checked my privacy settings and Facebook had changed them again to "everyone". I FUCKING HATE FACEBOOK. I really do. It's time for an alternative, I haven't been on there for a long time and I absolutely hate, hate, hate being monitored and spied on. Fuck them.
    I actually preferred MySpace in many ways (I know people's music or image-mad pages or whatever could be annoying but if MS cared to bother, they could easily limit that sort of thing just enough to make all pages easily viewable.)

But FB kicked MS's ass with the news feed/comment system which IS pretty cool imho. And the problem for me is, FB is literally the BEST way of staying in touch with many people I truly care about that has EVER come along. (And don't tell me to just pick up the phone because...it didn't, and doesn't, and won't happen. I have neither the time nor the energy to really keep up with everyone that matters to me in the old-fashioned ways--sad, but true.)

It is indescribably frustrating that the people who run FB are such short-sighted, greedhead assholes. I hope a lawsuit or three teaches them a damn good lesson.

True, someone might come along with something better....but that could always get sold too and then there's the trouble of moving things around, creating new acc'ts, finding everyone again. Much easier to just pummel the current FB honchos into bloody submission. So yeah, I hope that happens. In the meantime.....

I just keep on with the techniques mentioned above. They DO work, plus my friends think it's funny that I have this top secret "nom de plume" and all that.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I just changed my privacy settings again too.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I wonder about the Diaspora thing, if it will get off the ground. It's a peer-to-peer alternative, which supposedly takes care of the privacy problem because all your info will be on your computer, not a website or database that someone else owns.

I remember old old Facebook. I've had mine since 2006. Before you could Like things. I think it may have been before the Poke function was even created (who uses that anyways?). You had to have a legitimate network email address to join a network that needed to be verified and everything. Now my 8 year old cousin has one and all she posts about is Justin Bieber. I'm constantly checking my privacy settings to make sure that they haven't implemented changes (again) without announcing it (again). I get random friend requests from people I don't know.. and that creeps me out. I really do think Mark thought he could get away with a lot of this under-the-table crap with our personal info because he thought "there's nothing comparable to Facebook.. people won't give it up that easily". And yeah, in a way he's right... but seriously if they start charging money for this crap I'm just going to delete mine.. there's no point in being frustrated, paranoid AND $15 poorer.

Okay, this is fun...
    NEW TOY!!!!!!!! Go to your profile page
    and scroll all the way to the bottom. On the bottom left corner in
    little blue letters,click "English US" When the language selection
    appears, click "English Pirate". Then watch and see what happens. Paste
    this on your status to let others know! Brilliant...facebook will never
    ...(tharr be more)

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Okay, this is fun...
    NEW TOY!!!!!!!! Go to your profile page
    and scroll all the way to the bottom. On the bottom left corner in
    little blue letters,click "English US" When the language selection
    appears, click "English Pirate". Then watch and see what happens. Paste
    this on your status to let others know! Brilliant...facebook will never
    ...(tharr be more)
    Now thats cool.

Can anyone tell me how to get my Facebook to Private? I see alot of people have it so they dont even come up when their names are searched or even when I have friends that are friends of them, and Id like mine to be that way as well.

Even better if you know how to do that to MySpace, Ive been trying to do that forever.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information