Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Breast reduction surgery

Lynnie - I was the same size when I did my reduction/lift. I went with the full C spilling. I spoke with a few people who went down to a full B or normal C and they regretted going that small. It was too much of a change for them. I am happy being just under a D. No more back and neck pain. Clothes fit so much better and I don't feel like I am a walking set of tits anymore. You'll love it!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Go, Lynnie! I bet this'll make you feel tons better and like a new woman. A really petite frame with G boobs sounds painful and like a health issue for sure, so I bet insurance will definitely cover it.

I know you've mentioned here before that you have a strong history of breast cancer (I think you've said your mom had it?) and that might impact the surgery. Did they tell you what kind of impact it might have? I have a cousin who's been tossing around having this surgery for years and she has a very strong history of breast cancer on her mom's side (we're related through her dad).

Thank you everyone for the well wishes..

And yes, my mother was diagnosed w/breast cancer at 43 and died at 50 of it so it was a big topic of conversation w/the surgeon. He said that the scars from the surgery shouldn't prohibit future mammo's/MRI's from spotting cancer cells, but he did say there was a slight chance of it, but probably not. He also said that at least 3 times in his career, he has done a reduction and then had to almost turn around and to a masectomy/reconstruction on the same patient due to cancer being found during the operation, he said that the reduction wouldn't interfere w/that, if I needed it in the future as well. So that was reassuring.
    The MRI was approved, so I go for that on the 26th, and they have currently started to attempt to get the surgery paid for....I have spoken to several people in the office so far and all have said that it shouldn't be a problem. I mean, I weigh 140lbs and have 38G boobs....I would be SHOCKED if it wasn't.

My biggest hesitation right now is just how I am going to deal w/everyday life for those first few wks after. A question to all the gals that have had this done previously: did you have young kids around at the time?? If so, how hard was it dealing w/them after? I have a 6 & 3 yr old--and while the 6 yr old is semi independent and can do a few things on her own, obviously the 3 yr old cannot. I need to cook for them, bathe them, take them to school, etc. And as most of you know, my husband works insane hours, and I highly doubt he would be cutting back much on those hours since he never has, even when I had the kids (and one c-section). I don't have family around to help and my in laws work full time so they are not available either. I just wonder how in the world I will be able to do it w/almost no support at all. Just to prove how little support I have: I went for the consultation (alone of course) and my husband didn't even ask me about it for almost 4 days LATER. No one seems to even care, so I am really concerned how this will all pan out...

lynnie, re: the size you'll be after surgery, i personally told my doctor to make them as small as he possibly could and that would still be proportional to my frame. honestly i would have been happy with a small b (or even an a) but i don't think they can remove that much without making the scars too visible so in the end i got a full b/small c. when i was super skinny and going to bikram every day that was down to a small b which i was very happy about. nowadays i don't work out as intensely so i'm at a small c and that's fine though my personal preference is for smaller. it's just that much more comfortable when they're small. but the end result will depend on how much the doctor can take out once he's in there.

i am sorry you have to deal with all of this on your own without anyone to help you out. the first couple of days you will be kind of out of it on meds so it really would be better if there was someone there with you to help out. you shouldn't be in too much pain and discomfort but keep in mind you can't do any lifting or even raise your arms past your shoulders so it does somewhat limit what you can do. i guess there's no way your in-laws or relatives can come and help but is there any way you could maybe hire a student or someone to come and help out a bit during the day maybe just the first week? i just think it's not a good idea that you be completely on your own taking care of 2 kids the minute you're out of the hospital. that first week you have stitches in, you're quite swollen, the whole area feels very tender, etc...
    my circumstances were totally different when i had it done since i was 18 and i didn't have it done where i lived so it was a week before i had to go back to school and that first post-op week all i did was hang out and take it easy.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Lynnie, I hate that you don't have more help and support. That sucks. Maybe a friend or one of the mothers in your oldest's class could give you a bit of help? If that's not an option, the kids may have to eat a lot of sandwiches and get sponge baths. Maybe your 6 year old could be mommy's little helper with your 3 year old for a few days just to get you over the hump? I just hate to see you miss out on a surgery you obviously need because hubs can't rearrange his schedule for a few days. Talk about frustrating - I want to call him and tell him to shape up!

I agree, a mothers helper/nanny person for the first week. You are restricted from driving, so that would be safer.
    As far as your husband, this is not a topic they feel is in their realm. I mean, how can he really relate? Stop waiting for him to ask & tell him what is going on straight away. He will feel more at ease with it as you go on.
    You might call the hospital/ clinic where you are going & just see what they say. Other people must have the same problem. They might know of a reputable place that does this. Or a nice retired neighbor might be interested.
    Now, you must go shopping.
    I think you have to wear a special work out bra. Ask.
    Then you need a satin pillow case, so your hair will stay looking good. Might as well get 2 more for the girls. New zowie sheets.
    New make ups-time to update anyway. New boobs=new persona.
    Soft but darling pajamas or gowns. Do NOT use any old ones. They won't fit right anyway.
    New blouses/tee shirts. Smaller size. Your weight will drop about 10 pounds anyway.
    Do not do like my friend Suzy. She got hers about 1 inch too large & when she found a blouse that fit beautifully, the one button between the bosoms gapped. Ruined everything.
    While you are shopping, might get new pants to match the new tops.
    Might as well get a few pair of new shoes. And slippers.
    Might think of a new hairdo.
    No nail polish-they have to check your fingernail color & will take it off anyway. Toes are fine. Go wild there.
    You won't be able to wear new bras for a couple of weeks, BUT go to Victorias Secret anyway and have some staked out. Purchase 1 in your new size, just for fun.
    Your old bosom is a grandmother size. That has to make you look sort of matronly. You are going to be smashing!
    Lynnie, for your safety, you will have to be honest about alcohol intake. This is no time to pull any punches. They have heard far worse,trust.
    Now get busy,Missy! You have a lot of shopping to get done. March!
    I wish I could be there to help you. This will be so fun!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Lynnie -- maybe you can get the procedure scheduled for a Friday and the kids could have a sleep over at the in-laws for the weekend. That would at least give you a couple of days to sleep off the anesthesia.

Then perhaps friends could help out with school pick up, play dates or even having the kids over for dinner.

Also, you need to tell hubby you need his help, too. For one week he could take over something. Maybe baths or dinner.

Best of luck to you!

lol mcjag.
    lynnie, if you get the same instructions i did, you won't be able to wear any 'real' bras for a month after surgery - nothing with underwire. you have to buy 2 really gross white sports bra type things that provide enough support without hurting, and you have to wear them day and night.
    i would personally hold off on buying any bras and tops until after the surgery because you won't know exactly what size you'll be. and for bras, wait a month for all the swelling to go down and for it to be safe for you to try on bras with underwire.
    you won't believe how good it feels to be able to buy bras with a single little hook in the back...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

I'm so excited for you Lynnie! You will not regret it all. I love the suggestions you have gotten. I had mine done twice (lol), the first time they didn't take enough so i made them do it again (which in retrospect was probably way overdoing it--now i am thinking of small implants).
    I had a good recovery, i just remember not being able to raise my arms at all. It was a burning pain, but i didn't take any meds. It only lasted a few days. I liked the comfy sports bra. Hire a nursing student for a week, or a nanny. Don't let it stop you!!
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    lol mcjag.
    lynnie, if you get the same instructions i did, you won't be able to wear any 'real' bras for a month after surgery - nothing with underwire. you have to buy 2 really gross white sports bra type things that provide enough support without hurting, and you have to wear them day and night.
    you won't believe how good it feels to be able to buy bras with a single little hook in the back...
    White?? Why?? Surely she can find on in jazzy colors!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

well i'm sure you can i went and got them the day before my surgery so i couldn't look around for that many styles and i had a choice between white and that ugly bandaid/fleshy colour. they were out of black or i would have gotten that.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I agree, a mothers helper/nanny person for the first week. You are restricted from driving, so that would be safer.
    As far as your husband, this is not a topic they feel is in their realm. I mean, how can he really relate? Stop waiting for him to ask & tell him what is going on straight away. He will feel more at ease with it as you go on.
    You might call the hospital/ clinic where you are going & just see what they say. Other people must have the same problem. They might know of a reputable place that does this. Or a nice retired neighbor might be interested.
    Now, you must go shopping.
    I think you have to wear a special work out bra. Ask.
    Then you need a satin pillow case, so your hair will stay looking good. Might as well get 2 more for the girls. New zowie sheets.
    New make ups-time to update anyway. New boobs=new persona.
    Soft but darling pajamas or gowns. Do NOT use any old ones. They won't fit right anyway.
    New blouses/tee shirts. Smaller size. Your weight will drop about 10 pounds anyway.
    Do not do like my friend Suzy. She got hers about 1 inch too large & when she found a blouse that fit beautifully, the one button between the bosoms gapped. Ruined everything.
    While you are shopping, might get new pants to match the new tops.
    Might as well get a few pair of new shoes. And slippers.
    Might think of a new hairdo.
    No nail polish-they have to check your fingernail color & will take it off anyway. Toes are fine. Go wild there.
    You won't be able to wear new bras for a couple of weeks, BUT go to Victorias Secret anyway and have some staked out. Purchase 1 in your new size, just for fun.
    Your old bosom is a grandmother size. That has to make you look sort of matronly. You are going to be smashing!
    Lynnie, for your safety, you will have to be honest about alcohol intake. This is no time to pull any punches. They have heard far worse,trust. Now get busy,Missy! You have a lot of shopping to get done. March!
    I wish I could be there to help you. This will be so fun!
    YES MOM.....*hangs head*

lol

I was actually BRUTUALLY honest about my drinking---and then under 'occupation' I put 'Mom' and the doctor says 'OH, I get the booze thing now!' But I did tell him! I don't drink everyday (truly I don't)....but at least 3-4 times a week I do (usually).

I'm forging ahead w/it...the aftercare part will be discussed more when my In Laws are back in town and all that. Trying not to let that aspect bother me, but given how things have been in the past, its hard not to. But we'll see..

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ is this why you're off the internet for the next few days or whatever????!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much going on.....so much. And this is part of it.

Had MRI on Thursday, so waiting for the results of that. Waiting for the surgeon to call and let me know what he thinks...and possibly schedule the surgery.

Lynnie, you are an inspiration. I wish you were in Texas, McJag and I would take turns coming and helping you out. I've got other medical shit going on right now but once that's over with... I'm going to see about smaller tits too! I hate these damn things!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Its really interesting.....I have told almost NO ONE about this. But at my daughters 7th bithday party over the weekend, I kind of let the cat out of the bag, and got some very interesting reponses. I only told women (duh) and most were like ARE YOU SERIOUS? And then the others said, what the hell took you so long? But all positive, because they were very concerned all the same. Was definitely good overall.

My immediate family (Dad/2 brothers and their families) have no clue about it. Not sure I will even tell them. They would HATE that I am doing this, yet would probably say 'well, whatever you want--its your body, not ours' type thing. They are all so holistic that they could never fathom how anyone could want to do something like this voluntarily...I can already hear it. Not sure how to handle them....or just NOT deal w/them.

Haven't heard anything from the surgeon, so I guess that is good news. I mean, if they saw something lousy on the MRI then they would call right??

Don't like this cray at all.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information