Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Breast reduction surgery

A friend of my Mother In Law's has had this surgery (I think 2 yrs ago) by the same surgeon--and she is coming over today to talk to me about it. Should be interesting! I don't know much about her situation, other than she wishes she had done it YEARS ago....

I've just read that provincial health plans in Canada cover the surgery, but each has its own stipulations (I'm in Ontario but may be moving to Nova Scotia). For example, in Ontario there has to be associated back and neck pain for the province to cover it, which makes sense. I have this, but it's never occurred to me to see a doctor about it; I figured I just had to live with it.

So I guess what I'm wondering is, how does one establish a "history" of back and neck pain? Do I just start telling my GP that I'm uncomfortable? Asking for referrals to massage therapists? Or would it be enough to evaluated by the cosmetic surgeon at the time of consultation? I'm not sure how to Google for this type of information, hehe...
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Tati, the assessment is made by the plastic surgeon. I would get a referral from your GP to reinforce this. I know in BC it used to be the volume of breast to be removed that would determine whether it would be covered (so the plastic surgeon would submit a claim on behalf of the patient). So an A cup couldn't go in complaining of back and neck pain to have it covered. It might be different now, but talk to your GP!!
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I've just read that provincial health plans in Canada cover the surgery, but each has its own stipulations (I'm in Ontario but may be moving to Nova Scotia). For example, in Ontario there has to be associated back and neck pain for the province to cover it, which makes sense. I have this, but it's never occurred to me to see a doctor about it; I figured I just had to live with it.

So I guess what I'm wondering is, how does one establish a "history" of back and neck pain? Do I just start telling my GP that I'm uncomfortable? Asking for referrals to massage therapists? Or would it be enough to evaluated by the cosmetic surgeon at the time of consultation? I'm not sure how to Google for this type of information, hehe...
    It's pretty much the same w/my private health insurance as well--there has to be a history of 'issues' ie; back pain/indentation of the shoulders, headaches, etc. to be covered. I have the shoulder thing, but nothing else. So I am suspect that it will be covered....but my GYN who referred me didn't think it would be a problem, so we shall see. I'm running w/it and seeing what happens.
    But I was like you, just thought it was something I had been given and had to deal w/and not seek any treatment for. Wasn't even sure what KIND of treatment to seek! Next time you are at the GP, definitely mention it to him/her and see what they say??

Quote Originally Posted by t13nif View Post
    Tati, the assessment is made by the plastic surgeon. I would get a referral from your GP to reinforce this. I know in BC it used to be the volume of breast to be removed that would determine whether it would be covered (so the plastic surgeon would submit a claim on behalf of the patient). So an A cup couldn't go in complaining of back and neck pain to have it covered. It might be different now, but talk to your GP!!
    It's similar in Nova Scotia - 500g from each breast has to be removed, and I'm just trying to visualize that! I think here it's more subjective and based on (proven?) patient discomfort.

Thanks for the info, ladies! I hate to make an appointment with my GP (which would surely be months down the road) just to talk about back pain, but maybe I can discuss it with my OB-GYN when I go in for my postpartum visit? She's pretty awesome, so maybe it couldn't hurt.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

^^OMG YES!! Apparently there has to be 500g from each breast for it to be covered under private insurance here as well! I learned that today from my 'talk' w/the friend of my MIL--who also happens to be an RN who happens to work for a Health Insurance Co, so she knows the deal! She gave me the ins and outs of it....but also clarified a few things. She had her surgery over 5 yrs ago, and by a doctor in the same practice, not the same doctor as I have been referred to. She said if she had ONE regret, it was that she didn't go smaller...otherwise, she had zero.
    She said it wasn't super fun initially, but once you get over that hump, its all good. She also said that she didn't have small kids to deal w/and that could be a potential issue (esp when I have zero help with them) so something to keep in mind. They can't be hurling themselves at me and needing to be picked up all the time because I wouldn't be able to do it.

Also, the breast cancer issue I have in my family....need to discuss that w/the doctor. Could be an issue on HIS end. Need to discuss further.

Overall, she basically told me what I already knew, but was good to hear from someone I semi know, trust and tells the truth! So....on w/the consult!

Elite Member

I would do it in a second. I have spent my whole life in pain from it.

Looks like this is going to happen for me.

Having an MRI soon and once results of that are in, will be scheduling the surgery.

Went well w/the surgeon and liked the office. He answered my questions and when he opened my gown to examine me he went OMG--you're such a small girl everywhere else! (not as small as I used to be though *sigh*) I'm officially a 38G. He said he could probably get me to a C (which is what I would prefer), but maybe a D, which is fine by me.

So assuming that everything goes well w/the MRI and my insurance (he said he would bet his practice on it being approved), this may be happening next month. Going to Disney in April though, so if there are complications that could be an issue, so that concerns me.....

But, we'll see.

Yea for you!! C sounds perfect.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Sounds awesome, Lynnie! Good luck!

- Kahlil Gibran

awesome Lynnie!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Congrats Lynnie!! You won't regret it at all. You'll be a whole new woman!
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

yay! good luck, lynnie!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Bronze Member

how exciting for you!!!

Go, Lynnie! I bet this'll make you feel tons better and like a new woman. A really petite frame with G boobs sounds painful and like a health issue for sure, so I bet insurance will definitely cover it.

I know you've mentioned here before that you have a strong history of breast cancer (I think you've said your mom had it?) and that might impact the surgery. Did they tell you what kind of impact it might have? I have a cousin who's been tossing around having this surgery for years and she has a very strong history of breast cancer on her mom's side (we're related through her dad).

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information