Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me the truth about what age womens' breasts stop growing?

Silver Member

Default Can someone tell me the truth about what age womens' breasts stop growing?

I've heard everything from age 16-25. I actually think I even read somewhere that they never stop growing. What's the truth? I want to know if I should go ahead & get implants now, or wait a few more years. I've always been a late bloomer, but I don't know if you really do continue growing well into your twenties or not.

i think they grow until you are about 21 years old and they can fluctuate depending on your weight (if you gain or lose, they will get bigger or smaller) and birth control pills can also increase their size (but don't always). I am 24 and got my implants last year, I was sick of waiting, my breast did not grow past age 14, i was always 100% flat.

Whoa-I saw my Cousin's bosom, as she says "Take on a life of their own" in her 40's. Talk to your gynecologist first & get medical input.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

There are 17 year olds getting implants nowadays so I don't think whether or not they're still growing matters; you'd think the doctor would say so, and maybe advise against surgery but most (I'd say all, but i know from personal experience that some doctors will turn you away if they dont think surgery is necessary) will do it for the money.

I've heard when you get your period, breasts stop growing. I've heard well into your twenties, they stop. But it definetly goes back and forth with your weight. I've seen girls with big breasts lose them all with weight loss. Some women are lucky enough to gain weight in their chest rather than their hips or butt. The estrogen in a birth control pill can make them bigger but it depends on your genes- if the women in your family aren't big breasted, on either or both your mother and fathers side, you wont be either. The body is a tricky thing. I've had a friend who was flat chested until she got pregnant - you'd think she'd lose the breasts after she had the baby but they stayed. And once an A cup, now she's a C. So you just never know how it works. My breast size changes daily, I'm convinced of it! Sometimes they feel fuller therefore bigger, other days not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Whoa-I saw my Cousin's bosom, as she says "Take on a life of their own" in her 40's. Talk to your gynecologist first & get medical input.

Oh yeah, I've heard 40somethings talking about that exact topic at a bar. It was hysterical, I nearly choked on my drink.

Quote Originally Posted by TonjaLasagna View Post
    Oh yeah, I've heard 40somethings talking about that exact topic at a bar. It was hysterical, I nearly choked on my drink.
    Yup. And I got a big boost in my 30s - without my weight changing.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Silver Member

Well I turned 21 about a couple months ago. I got my first period at 15, & I've been very irregular ever since. I was anorexic for over year (around 17-18), & have eaten VERY poorly ever since. If I start taking care of myself, maybe I'll fill out a little more, or not? Did I stunt my own growth by messing with my body in my teens? Most of the girls I know reached their full heights at about 15, but I kept growing until about 17-18, maybe even later. Do any of these things mean that I'm possibly not done growing, or should I stop thinking I have a chance at filling out in the right places without weight gain? I know guys still grow well into their twenties, but I hear mixed things about women. The women on my mother's side of the family have pretty big boobs. The women on my father's side of the family are not completely flat-chested, but are definitely small. I also read that there is a type of breast implant where women must be at least 22 years old, b/c of possible development until that age. I'm afraid of getting implants soon, & then growing after & having HUGE boobs. I'll appreciate any comments about this.

A*O

If I start taking care of myself, maybe I'll fill out a little more
    Bingo! If you are worried speak to your gynaecologist (and tell him/her about the anorexia). Nobody has a crystal ball but you need to be fit and healthy before you make any decisions.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulVisions View Post
    I got my first period at 15, & I've been very irregular ever since. I was anorexic for over year (around 17-18), & have eaten VERY poorly ever since.
    Does a doctor know this? Do you go for regular check-ups? This might have affected your bone density, among other potential issues, and it's a good idea to follow up with a doctor. If you're invested in your self-care and looking and feeling good, it's worth a visit.

ETA: Have you had a consultation about your BA? Part of the medical screening is about expectations, and the doctor may wish to address body image issues and your history with anorexia to make sure you are ready.
    Last edited by ariesallover; February 1st, 2008 at 10:10 PM.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

I was a 34B when I was 15 and reached 36C by the time I was 18. My breasts stayed the same size until I got pregnant.....

I think it would be smart to take care of yourself- eat right and reach a healthy weight. Then after sometime of being at that weight and being healthy, decide if you want implants.

No offense, but it sounds like you have/had body issues and you need to really think this over before you go through with it. Are you sure you will be *happy* once you have bigger breasts? What if you get implants and then they are too big, or your ass is now too flat, - will the issue turn into something else?

IMO think about eating healthy first, get your mind and body healthy, then talk to your doctors and research all the pros and cons of the procedure. Then make a decision.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Silver Member

^ Thanks for all the comments everyone. I really appreciate it. No, I don't go for regular check ups, & never told any doctor about my past anorexia. I know I should have, but I have always avoided going to the doctor. No offense taken about the body issues comment either. I definitely have issues, & I know I need to see someone about them before deciding on any plastic surgery. I don't want to turn into a plastic surgery addict or be disappointed with ps results. Again, thanks for all the advice. I keep avoiding the doc & telling myself as long as I start eating better, I'll be fine. I haven't been able to force myself to do it though, but I am going to try. I've been self-destructive in a way for a little while now (no drugs/smoking though, just not looking out for myself & ruining my life). Any more comments are welcome & most appreciated. Thanks for wishing me luck DeadDwarf.

I'm wishing you all the best. You're aware of your issues, and you're willing to work on them. A lot of people never get that far.

Silver Member

^ Thanks ariesallover.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. If you aren't comfortable talking to your doctor about your anorexia, you might want to think about getting a new doctor. Sometimes if you start fresh with someone, it is easier to come clean about your past. Your doctor definitely needs to know. A good doctor will NOT judge you for it.

I am a fan of plastic surgery (3 and counting, lol) but you absolutely need to be clear on what your expectations are. Check out any plastic surgery message board (www.makemeheal.com is a good one) and you will find many people who believe their lives have been ruined by less than ideal results. They end up spending tens of thousands of dollars trying to look like they did before. No plastic surgery result will ever be perfect and you have to be prepared for an unfavorable result.
    For now, take care of yourself and work on getting your eating on track. You can't make any decisions until you are of sound mind AND body .
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

just wanted to also suggest the site JustBreastImplants.com Forums - Breast Augmentation, Breast Implants, and Plastic Surgeons
    the women on the forums there are very friendly and informative and there is tons of info on the main site Breast Augmentation Breast Implants Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Information Website.

It is a big decision and it is best to deal with any body issues you have before the surgery. You should go into surgery feeling overall happy with yourself because surgery won't fix your self esteem, many people will just find something else they hate about their bodies after they have "fixed" one thing, and you don't want to be one of those people.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you. Personally, my implants have made me feel amazing, but I was also confident and secure in my looks before I had the implants and knew that they were only an enhancement to the positive feelings I already had. I always wished I had done them earlier, but I waited until I was 24 and done university, it was the right time for me and everyone has a "right time" for them. I am glad i waited until I was finished school and able to have years to build my confidence without having the implants.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information