Thread: The Truth About Breast Implants

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default The Truth About Breast Implants

Some women believe all it takes is a simple surgery to get the breasts of their dreams. But there's a little more to it than that. Krisztina Virag writes.

Many women, at least once in their life, may be concerned with the size of their breasts. In some cases breast implants become a solution to the dissatisfaction. But unless they have been seriously interested in getting implants, few women are familiar with the details behind the procedure.

There are two groups of women who would generally be interested in implants. The first group is those women who have lost their breasts to a disease such as cancer. The second group is made up of women who are simply not happy with the proportion of their ‘little girls’.

Regardless of which group one belongs to, there are some basic facts that you need to know before making this kind of decision.

Silicon vs. Silicone
    There are two types of implants. The saline filled implants have a silicone rubber shell and are filled with sterile salt water. The second type is the silicone implant. The latter has the silicone rubber shell as well, but it is filled with silicone gel. According to experts, the saline implants have a firmer look, while the silicone implants have a more natural look.

Many people would not think there is a difference between ‘silicon’ and ‘silicone’ (notice the ‘e’). Silicon is a natural element. It is the second most abundant substance in nature. Silicone on the other hand is man made. It is a combination of silicon and oxygen and it is generally used as a sealant, lubricant, or adhesive.

A Brief History

Silicone implants were first developed in Texas during the early 1960s. In 1962, Timmie Jean Lindsey was the first woman in America to receive silicone implants. Shortly thereafter they made their first appearance on the Canadian market.

Important Facts

• Current prices for implants range from $500 to $2,500 depending on the brand.
    • The size of the implant can be changed after the completion of the surgery. With a local anesthetic doctors can pump filling in or out.
    • Following the operation reparative surgeries are common.
    • Up to 20% of implants rupture within four years. Leakage causes pain and it considerably weakens the immune system.
    • Research shows there is no direct connection between implants and tissue diseases.
    • Silicone is of better quality than saline implants, according to many doctors.
    Common Problems

While there are many debates linked to breast implants, the health issues concerning women who wish to increase their bust size are the most relevant for discussion.

Capsular Contraction

The most common problem that occurs after surgery is capsular contraction. This is the scarring of the tissue around the implant. This can lead to ripped skin or a tight looking implant. As well, the pressure of the infected tissue can cause the shell of the implant to crack. This can be fixed by removing the implants and the scarred tissue and replacing it with a brand new implant.

On the financial side a new problem may arise. Since the first set of implants cannot be reused, the patient must buy a new set of implants. Also because of the loss of the scarred tissue, one would lose volume in one's own breasts.

Silent Ruptures

As the name suggests, this problem implies the rupture of the implant shell. The leakage of the implant contents can cause extreme pain and significantly lower the immune system.

Nerve Damage

During the surgery, damage to the nerves in the breasts can occur. This can lead to the loss of sensation in the breast and the nipple. The problem can become permanent.

Other Problems

• Chronic infections can occur if the body does not accept the implants.
    • Implant shifts may occur and this can be fixed by reparative surgery.
    • Implants may impair the ability to produce breast milk.
    • They can break during a mammography.
    In America as well as in Canada, silicone gel filled implants were banned in the early 1990s because of health issues connected to silicone gel. To this day, only patients enrolled in clinical studies can legally receive this type of implant.

are those real?

Breast size is regarded as a beauty mark in modern society and women who are not as well-endowed by Mother Nature often consider the options. But it is very important to remember the factors connected to breast implants. The choice is yours but don’t go into it uninformed.

Lastly, consider why it is you want the implants and make sure your reasons are justified. Beauty is not skin deep ladies – never forget that!

http://www.thesoko.com/thesoko/conte...rticle&sid=750

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Default Re: The Truth About Breast Implants

Very informative, Moomies. I say sticky it, mods, ya hear!
    2 years...

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Re: The Truth About Breast Implants

Sad that women do this to their bodies.

I wonder what kind of world it would be if there was no such thing as breast augmentation; i bet there would be alot more flat women walking around.

I'm glad though, when women admit that they have fake tits. It just goes to show that if you're willing to go through with it, you can have them too. Not everyone is blessed by nature.

Why on earth would you fill your body with a potentially hazardous substance that could leak out and basically coat your organs in silicone glue?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ good fuckin' question; most of them look like shit too!

i witnessed my mom, who got them for my stupid dad, go through years of chronic fatigue syndrome b/c of them. In fact thats how a teenaged-me figured out she had fake boobs in the first place!

Thread Information