Thread: Susan Penhaligon: Botox left me like Planet of Apes character

Default Susan Penhaligon: Botox left me like Planet of Apes character

Once talked about as the 'British Bardot', actress Susan Penhaligon was famed in the Seventies for her youthful cheekbones and plump pout.
    And as she approaches her 60th year, she believes she looks pretty good for her age.
    So it comes as a surprise to learn that Penhaligon, star of No Sex Please: We're British, Bouquet Of Barbed Wire and more recently, Emmerdale, had a disastrous experience with Botox.
    She revealed today how the filler, favoured by many celebrities to smooth the appearance of wrinkles, left her looking like a character in Planet Of The Apes.

Botched Botox: Susan Penhaligon, pictured in 1971, tried cosmetic fillers to recover her youthful looks

'I was a complete wally to have it in the first place,' she admitted.

'It very nearly had a disastrous effect on my career and on my confidence as a person.

'I will never go near it again. I'm simply going to let nature do what it will to me.'
    Older and wiser: Penhaligon, pictured last month on This Morning, now plans to age gracefully

Penhaligon, who lives in Surrey with her partner and has a 30-year-old son, told the Daily Telegraph how she had always considered Botox to be something only Americans had.
    'For many years, I never considered that I needed anything like Botox. I thought it wasn't necessary for me because I'm an actress and need all my expressions,' she said.

'But it has become increasingly acceptable and as I noticed more and more people having it, I got interested in it and started thinking, "Shall I have it to help me get work, or shan't I?"
    'When I woke up on my birthday this year, I thought, "How did I get to be 60?" Yet I actually looked pretty good for 60, and 60 is not what it was in my mother's day.'
    Despite her reservations about the treatment, she told how she visited a west London cosmetic clinic 'on a whim'.
    The clinic was, she said, perfectly legitimate, and the doctor fully qualified. She was told only a small amount of the filler would be injected, and that she could expect to be very pleased with the results.
    She was far from pleased with the outcome however.

'It felt like the whole of my forehead had been punctured,' she recalled.

More...

The following day, she woke with a terrible headache. 'I looked in the mirror and saw to my horror that my eyebrows had dropped, pushing my eyelids down. I resembled Roddy McDowall's character in Planet of the Apes.'
    A return visit to the clinic saw more Botox administered in an effort to rectify the problem, but it only made her look worse.

Seventies star: Penhaligon, far right, in 1973 with Ronnie Corbett on the first day of filming No Sex Please: We're British

'I was even heavier on the brow, not unlike Frankenstein's monster,' she said.
    Following her experience, Penhaligon did some research into Botox, learning of a side-effect known as 'droopy eye'.
    'It means that the Botox has relaxed the muscles in the forehead and the brow drops down over the eyelids,' she explained.

'It only affects about one per cent of people but I happen to be in that one per cent.'
    The actress told how women in her industry were under huge pressure to retain their youthful appearance, but in the long run, cosmetic fillers offer little benefit.
    'If you're a serious actress, you want to be playing good parts. You don't want to be constantly battling against getting older because eventually, however much you Botox, the younger actress who hasn't had Botox will overtake you in the race.

'Although I feel I let myself down by trying Botox, I'm glad I did it because it has made me realise I want my lines, my frown, my life in my face. I'm going to grow old gracefully, not chasing the youthful actress that I was.'

Read more: http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/femail/article-1239143/Susan-Penhaligon-Botched-Botox-nearly-destroyed-career.html#ixzz0b5beFVP4

Aw, I heart her. Loved her as Judi Dench's sister in A Fine Romance.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Thread Information