Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wicked (before the musical)

Eli

I was so excited about this book when I opened the wrapping on Christmas morning. I'm a huge Oz fan (of the movies) and I was like "Oh my God, this will be GREAT!!" I thought it'd be a sane version with a killer story and less of the "Is it St. Swithens Day already?" "Tis" replied Aunt Helga!" type writing. It's just so hard. I don't like the way the story is narrated and the way every single raindrop is explained in intricit detail. Snooze!
    The only thing keeping me going is picturing Angela Lansbury as Nanny and eventually casting lots of people in my mind as the characters. Meghan Mullaly or whatever her name is would make a fantastic Wicked Witch, I've always thought.

Oh, and wtf are up with everyone in this book? Everybody BUT the witch is evil. Like, wow she has shark teeth at birth and bites off a finger, it doesn't make her evil. Everybody else is like "ehhh! A green baby! We must all ignore it for life and then blame it when it eventually takes revenge, and pretend that we are all pure innocence!"
    I mean I guessed from the synopsis that this would be the case, but the author has made that point a bit too damn blunt for my liking.

Default Wicked

Has anyone here managed to get through Wicked? I tried to read it 10 times before seeing the musical in Chicago and couldn't get past the first chapter. I recently tried again and managed to really get in to it. I have about 70 pages to go but, so far, I'm shocked at how different it is than the musical.

Has anyone else read it? What about Son of a Witch?

I think it took me 3 months to finish Wicked. Slow and boring. I hated it so much that I refuse to see the Broadway show. And I refuse to read any more of Maguire's books.

Why would you continue to read a book that you hated so much?

Elite Member

I saw the musical and then was given the book to read. I didn't get through very much of it. It creeped me out.

I think I've mentioned this book on the 'left on the shelf' thread. I got it from a charity shop, I think I got to around chapter 2, put it down and have never picked it up again. It didn't engage me, which is surprising because the synopsis sounds awesome.

It gets better as you go. The first chapter or two are so slow but wind up being important as it helps you understand Elphaba better.

I was surprised at all the reviews which say McGuire is a master writer. Eh, he's ok. I've read better. He gives a really interesting look at her life and how it shaped her.

I hate to not finish a book. Plus I kept thinking it would get better.

^^ I understand that to an extent.

Just finished the book. It's amazingly different than the play. I loved the character portrait of Elphaba though, at times, it was uncomfortable to read. The only part that pissed me off was when she was confronted by the wizard. She went completely off character. In the rest of the book, it's hard to imagine Elphaba being intimidated by anyone, let alone the wizard. I wish that part had been written differently.

I have been meaning to start this book but I'm hesitant because friends who have read it didn't give it good reviews.
    Fabulous!

I just finished Son of a Witch. Both books were good but to expect them to be an extension of the original Wizard of Oz will leave you disappointed. It's nothing like the movie or book.

Like I said, Wicked was a really interesting character portrait of Elphaba. Son of a Witch is the story of her (presumed) son Liir. It was also an interesting look at how he developed as a person. I found the ending a bit strange. Almost like he stopped mid sentence or mid paragraph. I have A Lion Among Men on order and wonder if it'll tie up any of the loose ends.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information