Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where do you get/buy your books?

Another one of Philly's "ma & pa" bookstores is gone - Robin's. Now you HAVE to go to one of the chains if you want to go book shopping. I only buy mags from the chains, and cookbooks.

Nice thread I usually buy from amazon and it's usually new because after you tack on shipping costs that amazon automatically adds to used books it's virtually the same price. I love the nearest Oxfam shop for second hand books, but the books I like don't generally appear there. I do like that Oxfam does gift aid books though, so that when I buy a book from them they get extra money. Our local charity shop will sell books for 10 or 20 pence which I love, they don't usually get a great selection but it's good for the classics for 10p!
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Gold Member

Amazon and put on the Kindle. Our house can't accept any more books--too...little...space!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Books are insanely expensive here - around $35 for an ordinary paperpack. Stupid purchase tax.... So I either buy online from Amazon and even with shipping costs the books are less than half the Aussie price or I like to snurge around secondhand bookshops. There's a good one near here that gets a lot of fresh stock all the time so there's always something to grab.
    WOW!! A*O where the hell are you from? $35 that's outrageous.

A*O, me and others are from Australia, the land where new books are between $15-50

Hit By Ban Bus!

I buy from Liberty Books.

Gold Member

I've rarely bought new books in my lifetime. I've always been a big library user and when they have their sales, I seriously stock up. They've always charged $1 per shopping bag and 25 cents per hardback. Therefore it's no wonder that I have 4 or 5 boxes sitting in my living room that I couldn't move at our yardsale a few weeks ago. They're mostly sci-fi paperbacks and I guess there isn't a demand for them.

Sadly, a number of my hardbacks came from the library's dumpster pile. They have all these stupid rules about donations and stuff these days. They also have a limit on how many books they can store. I go with my Mom to return books one night and there are about 20 boxes sitting out by the trash can. We went through them as best we could and loaded my van up. It was the same thing after a book sale, tons of children's books, the ones that are used in schools, just sitting there for trash.

I hate to see a book go in the trash, it's not right. It makes me cry.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by mklady View Post
    I've rarely bought new books in my lifetime. I've always been a big library user and when they have their sales, I seriously stock up. They've always charged $1 per shopping bag and 25 cents per hardback. Therefore it's no wonder that I have 4 or 5 boxes sitting in my living room that I couldn't move at our yardsale a few weeks ago. They're mostly sci-fi paperbacks and I guess there isn't a demand for them.

Sadly, a number of my hardbacks came from the library's dumpster pile. They have all these stupid rules about donations and stuff these days. They also have a limit on how many books they can store. I go with my Mom to return books one night and there are about 20 boxes sitting out by the trash can. We went through them as best we could and loaded my van up. It was the same thing after a book sale, tons of children's books, the ones that are used in schools, just sitting there for trash.

I hate to see a book go in the trash, it's not right. It makes me cry.
    Me too. I even cried while reading the library fire scene in The Name of the Rose.

I seriously love library sales.

Silver Member

hi, i'm a major library utilizer. always have been. i do have some books that are keepers but fewer as the years go by. i rarely buy them now. we are fortunate to have an extensive library system here where we can get books from thru-out the County sent to our local branch. i do subscribe to a couple magazines and recycle them on to others.

i have bought books thru bookclubs, used on Amazon (i had to have a copy of The Little Prince), and on occasion at yard sales. i do have some free coupons for our local library's used books for participating in the Summer Reading Club. we used to have a great used book warehouse but it closed.
    Last edited by zigzag; August 13th, 2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: to add more

Local libraries and Amazon. They can thank me!
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

I go to my annual library book sale. It's nice to support the library. However, I mostly buy my books at St. Vincent De Paul. They keep the books well organized so it is easy to find something in the genre you are looking for. If I have an actual title in mind, however, I go straight for Amazon.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I buy mine at Half Price Books. My kids go crazy in there. The local library is a zoo, so I unfortunately try to avoid going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I just went to a local library book 'sale' and bought 25 hardcover books of all kinds. It was fun...going through the books, and you could basically set your own price!(yay) so I paid a dollar a book.

Has anyone else been to one of these?

Where do you get your books? Bookstores, online, yard sales, etc. etc.??

Just wondering.

*I have no room for these..but I am sure I will find places for them! How can you not buy books on the cheap? It is like catnip to cats!

*I searched and did not find a thread like this...just sayin'
    Where are YOU??????????????????????????????? Please come back!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Mel has spoken now it shall be! I did my I dream of Jeanie nod after that so he will be back soon
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I buy my books from the library and an awesome used book store near my house (like $3 for a book in excellent condition).

I also have a subscription with Doubleday Book Club. You can get five books for 99 cents, and with shipping it's around $20. They have really good prices and offer continuous sales, so even buying 3 books at regular price through them is still cheaper than Walden or Barnes & Noble.

I browse through B&N and Walden, but rarely buy from them. I figure I can go to my local Goodwill and at least have the money I'm spending on books go to a good cause.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information