Page 94 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 2602
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Animal Farm is excellent and quite scary when seen through today's eyes.

Reading the second Stig Larsson. Very good so far.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Silver Member

Cat Tales, classic stories by various writers. Lewis Carroll, Mark Twain, Saki, Charles Perrault and others.

l'archiviste - les cités obscures - schuiten & peeters.

les cités obscures is a french/belgian collaboration. it's about a growing group of people who believe in the existence of a counter-earth, a sort of parallel universe. often referred to as 'the continent', consisting mostly out of autonomous cities. and each city is characterized by its own architectural style (bauhaus, art nouveau, art deco, ...)
    the volume i'm reading, l'archiviste, is about someone, an expert in myths & legends, who's studying documents, that depict these cities.
    it's a series that tries to give an insight into how architecture can define an urban society & vice versa. and how a change in structural order can lead to a change in the way people interact with each other.

needless to say, i love this series. beautifully drawn, too. schuiten, who's responsible for the artwork, received the Grand Prix de la ville d'Angoulême for his oeuvre in '02.
    /bd geek

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I finished reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It is a very silly book but there are some humorous gems throughout.

The reader's discussion guide has lovely questions to "deepen your appreciation and enjoyment of this towering work of classical zombie literature."

6. Some critics have suggested that the zombies represent the authors' views toward marriage - an endless curse that sucks the life out of you and just won't die. Do you agree, or do you have another opinion about the symbolism of the unmentionables?

10. Some scholars believe that the zombies were a last-minute addition to the novel, requested by the publisher in a shameless attempt to boost sales. Others argue that the hordes of living dead are integral to Jane Austen's plot and social commentary. What do you think? Can you imagine what this novel might have been like without the violent zombie mayhem?
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

God of the Small Things by Arundhati Roy... very enjoyable so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    God of the Small Things by Arundhati Roy... very enjoyable so far.
    It is quite interesting.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Child 44, Tom Rob Smith's debut novel. LOVE it up until now; it's highly addictive, but it has lead me to too much reflection and making a parallel with systems/politics/principles/morals and so many other things it has been a bit mind-boggling. Still, I can't put it down and keep a notebook beside me to jot down my own thoughts.

Elite Member

I picked up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies at the library today! Haven't started it yet. Am supposed to be working but am avoiding it.

I am thumbing through Beautiful Death; I will admit that I stole this book from a bookstore when I was 14. It has a heartbreaking forward by Dean Koontz.

Silver Member

Currently reading Bentley Layton's The Gnostic Scriptures and Agatha Christie's Crooked House.

Quote Originally Posted by calcifer View Post
    l'archiviste - les cités obscures - schuiten & peeters.

les cités obscures is a french/belgian collaboration. it's about a growing group of people who believe in the existence of a counter-earth, a sort of parallel universe. often referred to as 'the continent', consisting mostly out of autonomous cities. and each city is characterized by its own architectural style (bauhaus, art nouveau, art deco, ...)
    the volume i'm reading, l'archiviste, is about someone, an expert in myths & legends, who's studying documents, that depict these cities.
    it's a series that tries to give an insight into how architecture can define an urban society & vice versa. and how a change in structural order can lead to a change in the way people interact with each other.

needless to say, i love this series. beautifully drawn, too. schuiten, who's responsible for the artwork, received the Grand Prix de la ville d'Angoulême for his oeuvre in '02.
    /bd geek

That looks absolutely gorgeous. Is there an English translated version anywhere?

^ it's called 'cities of the fantastic'/'the obscure cities' in english.

from wiki:
    All volumes of the official series are available in most Western European languages (in French and Dutch by Casterman, in German, Spanish, and Portuguese by local publishing houses), whereas as of 2008 only few of them have been published in English by NBM Publishing. Recently, Editions Flammarion has taken up publication of the series in francophone Canada.
    also found this:
    nbm publishing - schuiten & peeters
    &
    amazon

(they're only available in hardcover as far as i know.)

Silver Member

Brilliant, thank you! Some of Schuiten's work is like a visualization of Calvino's 'Invisible Cities' filtered through Giardino, if that makes any sense.

hey, calcifer, i'm going to be in brussels for a few days in october, can you recommend any good bookstores, especially ones where i can find good bandes dessinées? i know you're in ghent but if you know of anything in brussels it would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Brodeck- Philippe Claudel
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by immature View Post
    Brilliant, thank you! Some of Schuiten's work is like a visualization of Calvino's 'Invisible Cities' filtered through Giardino, if that makes any sense.
    i've never heard of this book. i just looked it up on wiki & it looks like the kind of book that i'll love. i really want to read this - am going to order it on amazon. thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    hey, calcifer, i'm going to be in brussels for a few days in october, can you recommend any good bookstores, especially ones where i can find good bandes dessinées? i know you're in ghent but if you know of anything in brussels it would be greatly appreciated.
    np. i spent part of my youth wandering the streets of brussels.. still do..

* brüsel, boulevard anspach 100. you'll love it. it's named after the imaginary city brüsel, invented by schuiten.

it's probably the best bd store in brussels. should be your first stop.

* (la) bulle d'or, boulevard anspach 24
    * multi bd, boulevard anspach 122-124
    * slumberland (tome 1), rue des sables/zandstraat 20. museum shop - overpriced imo but they do have a nice collection. (housed in the waucquez magasins, designed by horta.)
    * nine city, boulevard (auguste) reyers 32
    * la bande des six nez, chaussée de wavre 179

you can find a comprehensive list (because there are up to 50 bd stores in brussels alone & i can't list them all) -> here.
    (note : 'het b-gevaar' sells only flemish/dutch bds/strips)

and sputnik, can you put le cycle de cyann/les passagers du vent/... by françois bourgeon (& claude lacroix) on your shopping list? it's essential reading. bourgeon is out of this world. and don't forget to look for roger leloup's yoko tsuno - la frontière de la vie. and maybe 'la fièvre d'urbicande' in the obscure cities series, too. brilliant stuff.

Thread Information