Page 65 of 174 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. Love it so far.

I just finished reading Bodega Dreams by Ernesto Quinonez. I am sad to say that I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It wasn't bad but I guess I thought it'd be different.

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    My library doesn't have Twilight by Stephanie Meyers. The GR people got me intrigued.

Royal Harlot is kind of interesting, kind of slow. It's not Slammerkin or Sarah Waters. I expected more history, I guess.
    Don't drink the Twilight kool-aid, Aries! I seriously had a hard time getting through the first one and wanted to gorge out my eyeballs within the first chapter of the second one. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by sparklehead View Post
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. Love it so far.
    AH! This is one of my favorite authors! Have you read Drown? Is my favorite book I actually bought Brief Wondrous Life the weekend it came out and it's been sitting in the back of my car for a long time now. I always read wayi too many books and never get at it but I love the way he describes the fuku in the first chapter! HAHA It's hilarious!

Hit By Ban Bus!

spoilers beware!!!

Just finished Twilight by Stephanie Meyers, easy read I liked it.
    New Moon, second book in the series pretty good.
    Eclipse, first chapter couldn't hold my attention, after I got past that it was pretty good.
    Breaking Dawn - she broke with the format half way through the book. I was like WTF, she got way to into the Jacob character and then spent about 200 hundred pages on a war that never happened.

Like J.K. Rowling she's a lover of her own prose. Book 1. 498 pages, Book 2. 563 pages Book 3. 629 pages Book 4. 754 pages. If she had a good editor she could have knocked off about a 1000 pages. Keep in mind all four books cover a 2 year span for a total of 2,444 pages. War and Peace covered a 8 year span and had 1,400 pages, Lord of the Rings 1,137 pages.

Good books (except for book 4)

Right now she's boo hooing because someone got bits and pieces of her next book and put it on line now she says she'll never finish it because her heart is broken. Wonder who she modeled Bella after? It was the first book from Edwards point of view. Sorry but I'm like how about a book 5 with the freaking war I waited for in book 4.

sorry for the rant

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Just finished the bio of Pamela Churchill HArriman...great read, by the way. Now about to start a chic lit bullshit story that should take me two nights to read. My brain needs a break.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I liked Royal Harlot enough that I Googled the facts of the Restoration and Charles II's reign to make sure I was remembering my history. It was handled well in the book.

Same with this one by the same author, that I'm reading now: Amazon.com: The King's Favorite: A Novel of Nell Gwyn and King Charles II: Susan Holloway Scott: Books

I finished Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk. It's more about challenging the reader through narration and plot shifts instead of telling a story. I can see where the idea for this book was original and interesting, but the execution falls short, or rather, it's quite clever, but it reminds me of what I would see as an MFA candidate's seminar piece for graduation. Technically brilliant, but kind of empty, and part of me thinks the ending is too cute, too pat, but it does work.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

I just finished I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max!

That book has changed my life
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

I just finished the Josephine Bonaparte trilogy by Sandra Gulland. Top notch stuff.

Working on The Other Bolyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory right now. By the end, I may be completely burned out on royalty.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    AH! This is one of my favorite authors! Have you read Drown? Is my favorite book I actually bought Brief Wondrous Life the weekend it came out and it's been sitting in the back of my car for a long time now. I always read wayi too many books and never get at it but I love the way he describes the fuku in the first chapter! HAHA It's hilarious!
    I'd never heard of Junot Diaz before Oscar Wao but I'll definately read Drown now, it's incredible. I don't know much spanish but I'm still totally involved in how he mixes languages. I'm also not up on all my dork-speak so it's a good thing I have a dork for a boyfriend who can translate some of it - like who Gary Gygax was.

Some of his sentances make me catch my breath and want to cry and the next one will crack me up. He's really a talent.

This description of teenage girl-hood and a difficult parent really got me:

"There was no way she was going to let me go without killing me first. Figurin de mierda, she called me. You think you're someone but you ain't nada. She dug hard, looking for my seams, wanting me to tear like always, but I didn't weaken, I wasn't going to. It was the feeling I had, that my life was waiting for me on the other side, that made me fearless."

^^ His prose is fantastic!!! Def check out Drown. It's a collection of short stories. You will lurve it!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I just finished the Josephine Bonaparte trilogy by Sandra Gulland. Top notch stuff.

Working on The Other Bolyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory right now. By the end, I may be completely burned out on royalty.
    These are going on my list. I have no idea why I've gone on an historical fiction binge or got stuck on the royals, but here I am.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    Don't drink the Twilight kool-aid, Aries! I seriously had a hard time getting through the first one and wanted to gorge out my eyeballs within the first chapter of the second one. LOL.
    What - it sucketh? At this point, I want to see what all the hoopla is about.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ I didn't think the book Twilight sucked. Book 2 and 3 were OK but book 4 sucked.

I need to read a real book. Currently all I read is computer geek tutorials and programming books. STILL have not gotten the rest of the Gunslinger series. I'm going to ask Santa for the rest of the books for Christmas.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

I'm reading Bill O'Reilly's newest book... I'm liking it.

I'm currently reading "The Catcher in the Rye" which is one of my favourite books. After that I will try my luck with "1984".
    If I did have a tumor, I'd name it Marla. - Fight Club

Hit By Ban Bus!

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward.
    After reading the Twilight series I thought I'd hit one more vampire romance series then call it quits.

Thread Information