Page 64 of 174 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

I didn't really like Choke after all, sput, let us know what you think of it.

I just finished Talk to the hand by Lynne Truss. Pretty good and funny.

Slammerkin. One of my top 5 books of '08 so far. Historical fiction loosely based on the true story of Mary Saunders, a prostitute in the 1700s. Other people from that era appear in the story, as do completely fictional characters, like Doll Higgins, whose mantras I've unwittingly internalized.

I've often found historical fiction to be dense and tedious, but this was anything but. Great story and exceptional characterization. Couldn't put it down. Really made me think too.

Anyone interested in the history of sex work should check this out, but anyone interested in great fiction should too.

It explores risk and ambiguity with happiness and satisfaction in work and life.

If you like Sarah Waters' (she who added "tipping the velvet" to my personal dictionary) approach to period literature, this is just as compelling.

Amazon.com: Slammerkin: Emma Donoghue: Books

Tried to get through Deborah Tannen's book on gender and communication (You Just Don't Understand), and while it's enlightening, my heart isn't in it right now. I'm doing too much dry reading elsewhere.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

The Many Lives & Secret Sorrows of Josephine B. by Sandra Gulland
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    Slammerkin. One of my top 5 books of '08 so far. Historical fiction loosely based on the true story of Mary Saunders, a prostitute in the 1700s. Other people from that era appear in the story, as do completely fictional characters, like Doll Higgins, whose mantras I've unwittingly internalized.

I've often found historical fiction to be dense and tedious, but this was anything but. Great story and exceptional characterization. Couldn't put it down. Really made me think too.

Anyone interested in the history of sex work should check this out, but anyone interested in great fiction should too.

It explores risk and ambiguity with happiness and satisfaction in work and life.

If you like Sarah Waters' (she who added "tipping the velvet" to my personal dictionary) approach to period literature, this is just as compelling.

Amazon.com: Slammerkin: Emma Donoghue: Books

Tried to get through Deborah Tannen's book on gender and communication (You Just Don't Understand), and while it's enlightening, my heart isn't in it right now. I'm doing too much dry reading elsewhere.

I read Slammerkin, and I liked it. I read another Emma Donohue later on- Life Mask- and didn't like it as much.

I'm reading The Zookeeper's Wfie by Diane Ackerman. It's good so far, it's a true story about the zookeepers in Warsaw, who hid Jews from the Nazi's, and the warsaw uprising.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I read Donoghue's Landing: again good characterization, but the plot and development were kind of blah, but I hated the predictable, contrived ending.

Now reading this: Amazon.com: Josie and Jack: A Novel: Kelly Braffet: Books
    Psychological thriller, really pulls you in.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palablahbittyblah.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Chuck Palablahbittyblah.
    I wub you.

I'm currently reading "Making Money" by Terry Prachett. I agree with one of my friends and it really isn't that good (Admittly my first reaction was his allziemers is starting to affect him more than I'd thought, as "Making Money" comes across as odd and childish as if he was trying far too hard to be funny He's usually a better writer, even in his books I don't think are that good/funny).

I am waiting for Amazon.com: I Can Has Cheezburger?: A LOLcat Colleckshun: Professor Happycat, icanhascheezburger.com: Books
    to come out soon

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    I finished it. Fantastic. I didn't expect the ending. I like how the entire book made the two lead characters' emotions electric.

Looks like Royal Harlot is next.

The End of Food by Paul Roberts. Lots of information on the food industry. I'm halfway through...

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

A bio of Pamela Churchill Harriman. I knew she got around but not like this. I don't know whether to be impressed or horrified.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I just started the Trube Blood-Sookie Stackhouse-Southern Vampire series and I'm loving it. Well, i love everything except the fact that she's keeping Sookie and Bill apart.

Charlaine Harris is a really charming writer.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I devoured Invisible Monsters; it was great sort of... hmmmm yeah it was good.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Low Life- by Luc Sante....I've been meaning to read it for ages, and never got around to it. I was at my mom's last night, and grabbed a copy she had on a bookhelf...
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

My library doesn't have Twilight by Stephanie Meyers. The GR people got me intrigued.

Royal Harlot is kind of interesting, kind of slow. It's not Slammerkin or Sarah Waters. I expected more history, I guess.

Thread Information