Login to remove the ads!
Page 54 of 169 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: What are you currently reading??

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    ^ Cernobyl was so scary! I saw a documentary a while back about orphan kids from the Cernobyl area who go to families in the UK every summer. It was heartbreaking.

I'm reading a book about the Battle of Stalingrad. It's fascinating but I forgot the author's name again. I'm a bit of a history ignoramus so wasn't sure who won for a while and was telling people not to spoil me. I've also been giggling like an idiot every time "Operation Uranus" comes up (the Soviet counter offensive which pretty much decided the battle from what I've gathered so far). kept thinking it would make a great title for a pr0n movie.
    Are you in the UK? Because i remember a documentary about that. What breaks my heart about Chernobyl is that 70% of the radiation was blown over Belarus, and the country is still so highly comtaminated now. People died, and are dying, horribly, but the liquidators were so very brave. The immediate disaster would have been catastrophic had it not been for them.

The radiation has a cumulative effect, and we'll see the true face of the disaster in generations and generations to come. The authorities now say it was a bad reactor design, and the terrifying thing is that there is a reactor built to the same design still active in Lithuania

I won't tell you the end to Stalingrad :p, is it the book by William Craig? It's very good! The Russian people, we remember Stalingrad on May 9, my grandfather fought was part of the army group in Operation Uranus. It's such vital histoy
    You just smile and roll your eyes to the back of your head.

^Oh, wow! You must be very proud of your grandfather! I hope he survived the war. The author's name is not William Craig. Sucks that I can't remember it because it's extremely well-written and a fairly new book containing a lot of info from the Russian side.
    I googled it and I'm 99% it's Antony Beevor
    Amazon.co.uk: Stalingrad: Antony Beevor: Books

Truly a fascinating read.

I was saying to the boyfriend that it's fascinating to me also because I'm not sure how it ends and he yelled at me "For fuck's sake, woman, do you speak German now?"

About Cernobyl, I remember it even though down here in Greece we ddin't have serious problems, or anything. I saw that documentary on Greek tv but I think it was a BBC documentary. I agree about the liquidators, I can't imagine the kind of courage it takes to fly a plane over the burning building knowing that this will kill you.

Silver Member

^Oh, wow! You must be very proud of your grandfather! I hope he survived the war. The author's name is not William Craig. Sucks that I can't remember it because it's extremely well-written and a fairly new book containing a lot of info from the Russian side.

I was saying to the boyfriend that it's fascinating to me also because I'm not sure how it ends and he yelled at me "For fuck's sake, woman, do you speak German now?"

About Cernobyl, I remember it even though down here in Greece we ddin't have serious problems, or anything. I saw that documentary on Greek tv but I think it was a BBC documentary. I agree about the liquidators, I can't imagine the kind of courage it takes to fly a plane over the burning building knowing that this will kill you.
    Your boyfriend sounds funny My grandad surivived the war, he would talk about it often, i have some of his possessions, his medals, and Red Army ushanka. He would talk about it occasionally, Russia and Ukraina suffered so much under Nazi occupation at the Eastern Front, 20 millions Soviets died. That fired the troops so much, the fight for the people and the Motherland. May 9 was a very important day for him, for all of us, there's a big national celebration and parades in the street of Volgograd. In the UK now we celebrate and drink in his honour, and the honour of those who fought. It's a very patriotic day. The families take food to the graves to 'share' with them.

In the Chernobyl book their are interviews with members of the families of the liquidators and people who even now live in Pripyat, and the spirit in the face of catastrophe is just indomitable, but it's so hard to read without getting teary. I keep having to put it down and go back to it. The BBC documentary was the one i saw, i got teary during that as well, and i don't usually cry! I just wanted to hug those people.

Bronze Member

Right now I'm reading A Gentle Awakening by Betty Neels.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

J.R.Ward's Lover Enshrined.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

I've read the Beevor book on Stalingrad, also his The Fall of Berlin and Crete:The Battle and The Resistance. I like his writing.

The Fall of Berlin was denounced by the Russian ambassador to the UK as lies and slander. Some other historians defended him, saying that the Russians refused to admit Soviet war crimes. Interesting articles in the New York Review of Books when it was all happening.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Gold Member

I am now reading Alan Aldas self written autobiography 'Never Have Your Dog Stuffed'- I'm enjoying it. Entertaining read and I am looking for some good book suggestions. I'm on summer break and don't want to veg out in front of here all day.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I've just finished re-reading Nobody's Fool. I also loved the movie with Paul Newman.

Is that a tutorial?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Maybe copy and paste a summary from IMDB,perhaps?
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Did you ever review books? I forget?
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

To whom are you two proletariats speaking?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

^Your engrish is getting better,those classes are working well.Have a good professor,do you?
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I've read the Beevor book on Stalingrad, also his The Fall of Berlin and Crete:The Battle and The Resistance. I like his writing.

The Fall of Berlin was denounced by the Russian ambassador to the UK as lies and slander. Some other historians defended him, saying that the Russians refused to admit Soviet war crimes. Interesting articles in the New York Review of Books when it was all happening.
    I've only read Stalingrad so far but I think his writing is pretty balanced and it's about time we all admit our crimes and move on. No side comes out of a war smelling like roses.

Silver Member

Every country commited war crimes, yet they conveniently like to forget about them, or deny them outright. The victors write the history books.

I know that many Germans (civilians and generals) threw themselves to the mercy of the U.S, Britain, and France, because they were shitting themselves about falling into the hands of the Red Army after what they'd done in Russia. It was revenge for the slaughter.

Thread Information